Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Projection

I took the render posted by vegata_skyline above and laid it over a picture I took on the weekend. I scaled the rendering and aligned the images by counting floors on both. I had to widen the rendering by maybe 10%, because it seems that the actual tower is not quite as skinny as the drawing suggests. This is what I got:

7408744934_5730b60d27_b.jpg

Last edited:
cool! this is gonna look amazing. a shame backstage will block it a bit when view from the lake. although together from your angle. above. they will all look interesting together in that little clump

I'm still a little mystified as to exactly how the cleaning rig will hang off the tower. Most towers have a mechanical arm on the roof, but they'll be no room for that here.

I'm still a little mystified as to exactly how the cleaning rig will hang off the tower. Most towers have a mechanical arm on the roof, but they'll be no room for that here.

from Stephen Weir Articles (March 1, 2012):
“There will be a large slot in the mechanics area above the penthouses, some 630 feet above street level (63rd floor)” explained Anthony Pignetti, the director of high-rise construction with the Dominus Construction Group. “ Inside will be a troll3y crane that will run up and down the sides of the building with a boom, and telescope-like arms.” It can also be used to effect repairs if windows need to repaired or replaced.

Thanks. Thought so. I really hope this "slot" is seamless or it may ruin the look of the tower. After witnessing Trump go up, I no longer take it for granted that developers and architects anticipate and devise elegant solutions to these kinds of issues before starting construction.

crazy rendering! ^
the impact this tower is/will having/have amazes me.

it's certainly gonna make a statement, way more than the Ritz

(most people can't really tell/don't really care what is high quality cladding and what is not), so most people will be blown away by the looks of this thing.

from my POV, the cladding is subpar, but the tower's silhouette/uniqueness somewhat neutralizes the effect of poor cladding... so ya + skyline impact + uniqueness - cladding

Great job on that rendering, gives us an idea of how the L tower will dominate the Front st. view terminus.

Likewise, I'll echo Ramako's sentiments and hope for a seamless integration of the "shot" and not a replay of the infamous "crows nest".

(most people can't really tell/don't really care what is high quality cladding and what is not), so most people will be blown away by the looks of this thing.

Yup. 99% of people who view any tall buildings each day have no idea what cladding even means, let alone the differences between window-wall, curtain-wall etc. Hell, some people don't even notice entire buildings! I'm not saying this is a good thing. It's just a fact that is often forgotten by those of us who like to appreciate the more subtle details.

Off topic, but I gotta say that "Sony Centre" sign is absolutely fantastic! </sarcasm>

As for L, that is some bendy glass, but it's really looking good nonetheless! Thanks for the pic, androiduk

it's certainly gonna make a statement, way more than the Ritz

(most people can't really tell/don't really care what is high quality cladding and what is not),

While it's true that most couldn't explain the difference between high quality and shoddy cladding, most could perceive a large difference in the end result.
The Ritz's capless curtainwall looks refined whilst the L tower's cladding looks like the facade of a Best Buy.

Last edited:
The Ritz also has 25+ unsold 1000sq/ft-million dollar suites without balconies.

L Tower is completely sold out..reason why there is window-wall over curtain? Balconies...If you can figure out a way to get balconies into curtain, be my guest...window-wall doesn't necessarily mean "subpar" or "cheap", it's a completely different assembly.

Off topic, but I gotta say that "Sony Centre" sign is absolutely fantastic!

The lobby, with York Wilson's famous mural of the lively arts, has been similarly blighted ( with banks of tv screens ) since the renovation. But the performance hall, from what I saw of it during Einstein on the Beach, looks as if has been brought back to its original glory.

It angers me that a rich corporation like SONY wouldn't spend a few pennies (to them) on a reasonable sign with individual metal lettering along the facade or something better than those taped-up boards they have been using as excuses for signs.

I sure that sign is temporary. 'Sony' is not even in their trademark font. You can't get any generic that what it is already there.
I'm guessing they're waiting until the outside is finished to put a proper illuminated sign up.

Back