Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

AoD, yeah I noticed that which is why I commented. What I meant was that it'd be great if the City made that a requirement for any developer submitting an application.

I really like the inclusion of the tree canopy. I'm a little concerned about the podium but I find the general shape of the tower quite appealing. Overall I'm looking forward to something out of the ordinary- especially in such a prominent location. I think it's a refreshing change from the conservative boxes we've been getting.

57 floors! Woohoo!

One section of the report jumped out at me:

So if they want to keep the trees, why did they remove the mulberry trees? Were they in the way of future excavation?

Bill

Yup - the west side of the tower will front along Yonge Street, so no more garden, no more trees.

The report mentions that 336 parking spaces are to be provided off site.

Where?

Would they come from the existing Green P lot on the south side of the Esplanade, or somewhere else?

Those elevations have me completely baffled. Had no idea the "roof" sloped generally from west to east... and the base appears to have 5 sides.

Is the tower turned slightly... when viewing from the south?? Say about 1 or 2 o'clock?

I thought the renderings were misleading but the north facade really does bulge on the way up.

In any case, this creature ought to silence the box-phobics.

Let's admit it. This is a giant boot. There is no way around it.

This is a giant bottle:
EMPIRE_STATE_BUILDING.jpg

This is a giant ball:
Expo_67_Montreal_289_United_States_.jpg

This is a giant sailboat:
VANcanadaPlace.jpg

This is a giant... well, pyramid.
Pyramid.jpg

And...?

I think this project looks supercool, though I'm admittedly very cautiously optimistic, on account of the still troubling appearance of the ROM cladding (fingers remain very, very tightly crossed).

I'm convinced the L Tower will be one of the best new skyscrapers in North America - if not the world - upon completion. Tall buildings like this and the Bow in Calgary will certainly raise the bar for 21st century skyscraper design in Canada - unfortunately thanks to foreign architects. I hope I'm not proven wrong!

My only problem with this project is what it "may" do to the Hummingbird Centre. I think some of us might be a bit more enthusiastic if it were in a slightly different location. Still, I'm more positive than negative about it.

Looks great - concerned about the recessed balconies marring the facde though.

If they call the Telus Building in Burnaby "the Boot" - the L Tower will certainly get that nickname - it looks even more like a boot.

BuildingPhoto.jpg

My only problem with this project is what it "may" do to the Hummingbird Centre. I think some of us might be a bit more enthusiastic if it were in a slightly different location. Still, I'm more positive than negative about it.

Point taken, but we must take a chance with unconventional new architecture like this. I don't think there is anything so great about the Hummingbird Centre that a world renowned architect could ruin it on us.

I have faith.

interchange:

The report mentions that 336 parking spaces are to be provided off site.

Where?

Would they come from the existing Green P lot on the south side of the Esplanade, or somewhere else?

If you look *really* closely at the Site Plan (Lower Ground) on p. 9, you will notice that there is the option for either a pedestrian bridge or tunnel to the Green P lot south of the site.

AoD

interchange:

If you look *really* closely at the Site Plan (Lower Ground) on p. 9, you will notice that there is the option for either a pedestrian bridge or tunnel to the Green P lot south of the site.

AoD

It's quite a walk to that lot, which is essentially east of the large condo building across the Esplanade. I saw that tunnel/bridge indication, but I'm wondering where it would go next - such a long pedestrian connection seems unlikely to me. Mind you, the Green P lot there has 2008 spaces - maybe they feel they can afford to let a bunch go. There really is no other obvious spot...

Back