Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

All is not lost. There will be jam again this year. My friend Bruce has a large mulberry tree in his Riverdale back garden and has placed it at my disposal.

Query whether their advertising will feature a blue furry creature singing "L is for Landmark/Dats good enough for me" while chomping mulberries with his mouth open.

I am relieved to hear that Toronto's mulberry jam production will not fall as a result. Yum.

I'll have to post an all points bulletin ... to locate all the remaining mulberry trees in town.

Early July is when I truck in the migrant workers.

Archivist and andreapalladio: you're more than welcome to join us. We start early, before the cruel sun gets too high in the sky. Wages are low, but you don't have to pay union dues. And you can eat any berries that fall on the ground, though no fighting over them you two.

We need a useless wank section that can bumped whenever members want to bump. Then existing threads might be worth visiting.

The rendering shows greenery on the condo podium roof, and trees of some sort along Yonge Street, so it'll be "green" to a certain extent. Early images of the O'Keefe Centre indicate that the mulberry trees were not part of the original plantings.

Mulberry?

Is it still possible to get in on some of that mulberry action?

Re: Mulberry?

If you can find me some good fruit-bearing trees in the downtown area I'll give you some jam.

According to the Veggie Association of Canada: "In Toronto, these trees are very common. The trick is to find ones with low branches. The best trees that I know of are at the northwest corner of Herrick and Bathurst, and at the northwest corner of Avenue Road and Edmund Ave. south of St. Clair."

I'm really looking forward to seeing this building go up.

Thanks, Boggy. After all this deforestation I just hope they build the damned thing.

So building babel did you actually go down there berry picking? I've seen homeless people piss in there, I'm sure they've fertilized it as well.

Good news about the sales office construction. I wonder if they'll have a model inside when complete?

I did indeed. The canopy of leaves hid me from view. Sometimes people strolling by on Yonge would stop and pick a few berries and I'd say hello to them. Sometimes I'd emerge like Wiarton Babel, covered in mulberry juice like some wild eyed creature from LOTR, and we'd chat awhile before I'd duck back into the bushes and get to work again. Mulberries are best - sweetest - when they're fully ripe and dropping from the branches at the slightest touch. I used to go picking early on Saturday and Sunday mornings at the beginning of July.

LOL, too funny. Well I'm sure you could find some over on the island.

The Hummingbird Centre is counting on funding from the government and the funds from the rights for the condo, so they can revinvent the Centre. But what happens if they do not get the necessary government funds for the completion (or even start) of the reinvention?

If I were a betting man, I would bet that they have no hope in heck of getting government funds (in light of the hoaky concept and lack of public demand, in light of governments not opening purse strings at this particular point in time and in light of the demands of the big 5 cultural institutions for some 'top-up' funds).

With no government funds, will the Centre be able to stay open? Will the condo be attached to a building with no tenant? Will this matter to any condo purchaser? Will they be selling the condo with the reinvention as a selling point? Will we ever have multicultural TV dinner global diversity theatre?

Many questions.

They appear to be surviving. I don't know what their houses are like, but there always seem to be plenty of people going to their shows - even if the more artsy aspects of the reinvented and expanded complex of uses never happens.

Back