Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

TheLTower.jpg

It looks like a woman's boot on top of the Hummingbird Centre. :D Definately a unique looking building. Great for Toronto.

The artist rendering in the previous post is from their sales pamphlet I just received at from their vip premier event. Their sales centre does not open to the public until September. However, the vip preview sales is happening June 16-17th. PM me if you would like to be invited to this preview sales event to take advantage of the preview prices and other bonuses. I like most of their floor plans and think their prices are also very reasonable. PM me if you would like more details.

The L Tower

Building Features:
-A landmark 55 storey residential tower, located at Yonge and Front
- designed by Daniel Libeskind
- Panoramic views of downtown Toronto and Lake Ontario
- Steps to St. Lawrence Market, the PATH, fine dining and the best of Toronto
- Spectacular Munge Leung designed lobby
- Amenities include a fully equipped catering kitchen, private dining room, library, cinema, and Resident’s lounge
- Luxurious spa facilities featuring treating rooms, his & her wet and dry saunas, lap pool, yoga studio, state-of-the-art fitness facility, and lounge
- Candidate for LEED Gold

Suite Features:
- Munge Leung designed kitchen cabinetry, featuring two glass upper cabinets
- Engineered hardwood in foyer, living/dining room, kitchen, interior bedroom, hallway, den and bedrooms as per plan
- Complete Miele stainless steel kitchen appliance package. Stainless steel exhaust hood
- Granite kitchen countertop and choice of porcelain, ceramic, or mosaic tumbled marble backsplash
- Marble countertop in master bathrooms with undermount porcelain sink
- Complete Miele laundry appliances
- Emergency voice communications system, smoke and heat detector in each suite
- Heat recovery unit in each suite for individual control of fresh air

This project is # 1 on my most wanted construction list. I just hope its marketed properly (like shangri-la/four seasons) so we can see construction soon. I can just picture the profound effect this building will have on the skyline, viewing from the east (coming in on the Go lakeshore east line). Truly a remarkable building...

The overhang onto Front is what bothers me. If the "toe" was more rounded and less "Sicilian", it'd have a smoother, less-jarring look to it. The way it looks now, it tends to hide O'Keefe and obscure it behind a nasty-looking shadow.

To reiterate my classic Canuckistani metaphor, it's like O'Keefe/Hummingbird is Libeskind's stomping board
B000056KT2.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Can we keep Daniel forever? Libeskind can change this city's thinking about architecture.

The ROM did a lot to open minds (and further close others too I guess) and this very visible tower will keep that momentum going.

I'd love to see Libeskind do something for our waterfront. No more Crystals though please... let's keep the ROM unique at least within our city.

Let's compare this new design to the previous:

Current Design
TheLTower.jpg

Previous Design
473_hummingbird.jpg

- We've lost the green roof
- The top is less edgy, overall the building was rounded out
- The base is now on a slant (nice touch)
- Some of the cosmetic features such as the curved lines across the window façade extending out to the building are gone.

I guess a concept eventually has to face reality. At least this, unlike the ROM has kept relatively close to its original idea and materials.

I like the new one better. The old one looked like a hobit foot.

Price Points

Does anyone know what the price range will be for suites in this project?

In the earlier version, the curtain wall with the appliqué treatment was more interesting, but I think the transition from the podium to the tower works better now, even if the whole is a bit less bold and more, well, Toronto, than the first rendering.

Probably some of the changes were made in the interest of greater harmony between the Hummingbird and the Hummingboot. In particular, the slim vertical panels in the curtain wall and the overhang (technical vocabulary fails me -- cornice, rim, eave?) on the top of the podium, up the side of the tower, and around the big circular atrium window seem to reflect the top portion of the theatre façade.

I wonder if the green roof has been elimintated from the project, or just from the rendering? This was mentioned as an issue to be resolved in the city planning document.

Most people will discover this building walking toward it from Union Station. With the curve of the Dominion Public Building where it is, they'll see just the theatre marquee, the toe of the podium, and probably the top of the tower. Coming to the corner at Yonge, the complex whole of the whole complex will suddenly boot them in eye. It should be an excellent architectural moment. The building won't just be there for people to see -- it will actually seem to happen to them.

Hummingboot... LOL!

Most people will discover this building walking toward it from Union Station. With the curve of the Dominion Public Building where it is, they'll see just the theatre marquee, the toe of the podium, and probably the top of the tower. Coming to the corner at Yonge, the complex whole of the whole complex will suddenly boot them in eye. It should be an excellent architectural moment. The building won't just be there for people to see -- it will actually seem to happen to them.

Well said.

Back