Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

This is an interesting point. I've definitely absolved myself after buying/planting trees that aren't found in Ontario currently, but are found a climate zone or two south. With the exact reasoning you've given (eventually through natural or anthropogenic warming those trees will be found here). As long as the species are from this continent, I think it's okay.

Interesting you should use that criteria (from the same continent) so let's start there shall we?

Oriental Sweet Gum - native to Asia (China, Thailand, various others)
Willow-leafed Magnolia - native to Japan
Turkish Hazel - native to Turkey
Paulownia Tormentosa - Native to China (considered invasive in North America)
Magnolia (Saucer) - Hybrid created in France, both originating varietals are native to China
Plane - they didn't specify the species, but knowing landscape architects they're thinking London Plane - (see Bloor St., originally) (hybrid of American and S/E European/Asian species)

So...not so many native to North America, at least one invasive, and I'd be tempted to put Turkish Hazel in that category too, I've found it reproducing the ravines.

True native (to Toronto-area)

Sugar Maple
American Elm
Red Oak

The south-of-here, (near native)

Could be argued for Pin Oak which is present in the Windsor area....
Tulip Tree......very borderline, but again exists from Windsor south
Pitch Pine.......very rare, maybe a few on the shores of the St. Lawrence, but really much more of a Appalachian and Coastal species in the US mostly well south of here.
I know why they want that one.....its A) very maleable (makes good Bonsai type tree) .... B) also puts up w/miserable conditions.

Tulip trees are a better option than magnolias, and as mentioned are considered native to the area. They grow larger and in my opinion look better when not flowering, their flowers last longer than magnolias. Which. As lovely as they are also get very messy.

Also wanted to address the issue of buying trees from more southerly climate zones.

Its not inherently awful or anything.

Its just potentially problematic in a few ways.

1) The climate hasn't yet changed materially, particularly in terms of its extremes. Many more southerly species don't do as well here, with climate where it IS, as opposed to where it may be in
20 years. Some species do quite well up here; but others not so much. It also depends, in part, on where they were grown. Red Oaks grown in the mid-South (Carolinas) at the Southern end of the range
often show adaptation to a warmer and sunnier climate with different day lengths and different seasons. That said, most will make it here, its just not ideal.

2) Some more southerly species may end up invasive here and harmful to native plants; that often isn't known right now, because they may not have survived and/or flourished in the past, in the GTA

Kentucky Coffee Tree is showing new signs of becoming invasive and this was not understood to be a problem w/the species here until very recently.

3) Southerly climate zone trees are far more commonly grown at US nurseries and may bring with them pests from those areas that are not currently present in southern Ontario.

4) Studies consistently show that non-native species don't provide habitat or food sources to native wildlife. Notably researchers found Ginkos didn't even attract any insects (why landscape architects love them)

That said, I'm not objecting to the odd 'ornamental' tree.

I just think the reflex of many landscape architects is wrong; and the priority should be native species, with some ornamental accents where appropriate.

Tulip trees are a better option than magnolias, and as mentioned are considered native to the area. They grow larger and in my opinion look better when not flowering, their flowers last longer than magnolias. Which. As lovely as they are also get very messy.
Tulip trees only produce flowers when they're mature, no?

Interesting you should use that criteria (from the same continent) so let's start there shall we?

Oriental Sweet Gum - native to Asia (China, Thailand, various others)
Willow-leafed Magnolia - native to Japan
Turkish Hazel - native to Turkey
Paulownia Tormentosa - Native to China (considered invasive in North America)
Magnolia (Saucer) - Hybrid created in France, both originating varietals are native to China
Plane - they didn't specify the species, but knowing landscape architects they're thinking London Plane - (see Bloor St., originally) (hybrid of American and S/E European/Asian species)

So...not so many native to North America, at least one invasive, and I'd be tempted to put Turkish Hazel in that category too, I've found it reproducing the ravines.

True native (to Toronto-area)

Sugar Maple
American Elm
Red Oak

The south-of-here, (near native)

Could be argued for Pin Oak which is present in the Windsor area....
Tulip Tree......very borderline, but again exists from Windsor south
Pitch Pine.......very rare, maybe a few on the shores of the St. Lawrence, but really much more of a Appalachian and Coastal species in the US mostly well south of here.
I know why they want that one.....its A) very maleable (makes good Bonsai type tree) .... B) also puts up w/miserable conditions.

Nice write up. Yeah I meant I want south-of-here near native, or near near native (e.g from the southern Carolinian). Us planting them kinda expedites an inevitable natural migration process. That is: we're still tapering off the last ice age and warming up, and many of these trees would eventually (next few centuries) make it up here naturally due to shorter winters and frosts and changing soils. That's why I think it's okay to plant species like Ohio Buckeye.

Unless it's in an arboretum, I don't want to see species from outside the continent.

Nice write up. Yeah I meant I want south-of-here near native, or near near native (e.g from the southern Carolinian). Us planting them kinda expedites an inevitable natural migration process. That is: we're still tapering off the last ice age and warming up, and many of these trees would eventually (next few centuries) make it up here naturally due to shorter winters and frosts and changing soils. That's why I think it's okay to plant species like Ohio Buckeye.

Unless it's in an arboretum, I don't want to see species from outside the continent.

How about weeping willows?

Ohio buckeye is a personal favourite of mine. And yes I suppose it might take awhile before a tulip tree starts flowering, but in the long run I think they are a better choice.

Typically I like native species but I must admit I am a big fan of the metasequoia (dawn redwood) Which was thought to be extinct until 1948. I love that there are so many planted around the city. (High park, Allan gardens, spadina crescent the co op on bleecker to name a few have some really nice large ones.) I have one myself, which has quadrupled in height over the last 6 years or so. I can't wait to see how they progress in growth as time goes since no one really knows.

In defence of ginkos, they are planted in urban centres so frequently because they have a very high tolerance for air pollution.

I am pleasantly surprised to find out how many other UT forum members are into trees.

Ohio buckeye is a personal favourite of mine. And yes I suppose it might take awhile before a tulip tree starts flowering, but in the long run I think they are a better choice.

Typically I like native species but I must admit I am a big fan of the metasequoia (dawn redwood) Which was thought to be extinct until 1948. I love that there are so many planted around the city. (High park, Allan gardens, spadina crescent the co op on bleecker to name a few have some really nice large ones.) I have one myself, which has quadrupled in height over the last 6 years or so. I can't wait to see how they progress in growth as time goes since no one really knows.

In defence of ginkos, they are planted in urban centres so frequently because they have a very high tolerance for air pollution.

I am pleasantly surprised to find out how many other UT forum members are into trees.
My brother grows his own in his backyard.

We have a ginkgo tree in our yard. I love the idea that 500 yrs from now, it may still be there - even if the house isn't.

How about some Eastern White Pine, which is an Ontario native. I find it incredibly beautiful. Wouldn't be so bad to have several in a row or cluster on that wind-swept harbour.

We have quite a few really good native trees that should be planted more. These also happen to be on the list for municipal planting programs.

http://www.yourleaf.org/species

From the Sept WT Board Meeting - CEO Report:

Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park Master Plan City Parks has confirmed funding of $1.8 million for Phase 1A of the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal Master Plan. WT and City of Toronto Parks Department have been working collaboratively to develop a Delivery Agreement to transfer the funds. Phase 1A consists of both lighting and landscape improvements. The landscaping will include the entry at Bay Street including a section of the new promenade south towards the Ferry Terminal. This promenade will be designed to be consistent with the other promenades built along the waterfront with granite mosaic paving, new trees with Silva Cells, full-replacement of existing light fixtures with waterfront signature light poles and benches. In addition, a new play feature near the ticket area for the Ferry Terminal will be installed. In addition to landscaping, the Phase 1A scope will include a full upgrade to the lighting within the park to WT’s standard. Design for Phase 1A will commence in September and construction will commence immediately following the 2017 Ferry Season. It is anticipated that the winning design team from the competition will be retained to undertake the design for this and any subsequent phases.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/item_4___ceo_report___september_14_2016_1.pdf

AoD

From the Sept WT Board Meeting - CEO Report:

Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park Master Plan City Parks has confirmed funding of $1.8 million for Phase 1A of the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal Master Plan. WT and City of Toronto Parks Department have been working collaboratively to develop a Delivery Agreement to transfer the funds. Phase 1A consists of both lighting and landscape improvements. The landscaping will include the entry at Bay Street including a section of the new promenade south towards the Ferry Terminal. This promenade will be designed to be consistent with the other promenades built along the waterfront with granite mosaic paving, new trees with Silva Cells, full-replacement of existing light fixtures with waterfront signature light poles and benches. In addition, a new play feature near the ticket area for the Ferry Terminal will be installed. In addition to landscaping, the Phase 1A scope will include a full upgrade to the lighting within the park to WT’s standard. Design for Phase 1A will commence in September and construction will commence immediately following the 2017 Ferry Season. It is anticipated that the winning design team from the competition will be retained to undertake the design for this and any subsequent phases.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/item_4___ceo_report___september_14_2016_1.pdf

AoD
This came in light of the area around the terminal being degraded by Pokémon Go players.

Lets not start on pokemon go. The pokestops were removed. Not sure how people enjoying themselves in a public park is degrading.

Back