Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I am a Pokémon Go player. Having as many as nine Pokéstops within the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal leads to large crowds, which would inevitably mean that the surrounding area would be degraded, especially when some of those Pokéstops have lures on them. John Tory successfully convinced its developer to remove a few Pokéstops. Not as many Pokéfans congregate there as before, allowing the surrounding area to recover.

I am all for more Pokéstops, but they need to be more evenly distributed, not being clustered in certain areas. The same goes for Pokémon gyms.

I am also a pokemon go player, and was super saddened by Niantic giving in. It was a tourist destination. 9 stops down to 3. I met tourists who had come to Toronto/ Canada just to catch pokemon there.
I am not sure what area needed recovering? If you mean the grass? I would say that a dry summer had just as much, and probably more of a negative impact on the poor grass growth than people having picnics and playing pokemon. It is a park, and a tourist destination. It should have been allowed to remain as so. Instead local residents felt threatened by the park finally being full of people for once.

I am also a pokemon go player, and was super saddened by Niantic giving in. It was a tourist destination. 9 stops down to 3. I met tourists who had come to Toronto/ Canada just to catch pokemon there.
I am not sure what area needed recovering? If you mean the grass? I would say that a dry summer had just as much, and probably more of a negative impact on the poor grass growth than people having picnics and playing pokemon. It is a park, and a tourist destination. It should have been allowed to remain as so. Instead local residents felt threatened by the park finally being full of people for once.

From what I heard, the high volume of people mindlessly following their cellphone around were bumping into each other and making it more difficult for those who wanted to use the terminal for its actual purpose.

From what I heard, the high volume of people mindlessly following their cellphone around were bumping into each other and making it more difficult for those who wanted to use the terminal for its actual purpose.
Also, the dog owners from 10 QQ, 10 Yonge, 33 Bay and 18 Harbour st. were complaining as they could not walk their dogs.

sure there were tons of people following their phones around, but no one was bumping into each other, and everyone was super mindful of ferry passengers exiting etc. People are not as irresponsible as some would like to believe. The type of people who wander into traffic on their phones would do so whether they were playing pokemon or not. I personally would have liked the stops shifted a bit west away from the loading area for the ferry, that would have solved the being in people's way part. But the appeal was how close they were spaced out. It actually eliminated the need to wander around. You could sit in one place and get all the stops.

THe only person I saw truly in the way once was a guy riding his bike with a wagon full of small dogs calling the police to report the pokemon players. I swear he was intentionally driving his bike at people who were otherwise no way in his way. He just wanted a reason to swear at people and call names. He was also the ONLY person there who was not giving off good vibes. Says more about certain types of people who just don't want others to have fun.

back on topic though... do we know what phase the actual terminal reconstruction is?

It's a stupid game that only the people playing it give a crap about. The only reason all the poke stops exist is because of another stupid game people play where they make portals in public places.

From the Sept WT Partnership Committee Meeting:

upload_2016-9-12_21-12-17.jpeg

$75 M for Phase 1 and 2.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uplo...mittee_presentation___september_12_2016_1.pdf

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-12_21-12-17.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-12_21-12-17.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 1,419
From October 2016 WT CEO Report:

Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park Master Plan
City Parks has confirmed funding of $1.8 million for Phase 1A of the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal Master Plan. Waterfront Toronto and City of Toronto Parks Department have been working collaboratively to develop a Delivery Agreement to transfer the funds, with a target execution date of November 1, 2016.
Phase 1A consists of both lighting and landscape improvements. The landscaping will include the entry at Bay Street including a section of the new promenade south towards the Ferry Terminal. This promenade will be designed to be consistent with the other promenades built along the waterfront with granite mosaic paving, new trees with Silva Cells, full-replacement of existing light fixtures with waterfront signature light poles and benches. In addition, a new play feature near the ticket area for the Ferry Terminal will be installed. In addition to landscaping, the Phase 1A scope will include a full upgrade to the lighting within the park to Waterfront Toronto’s design standards.
Design for Phase 1A has commenced this month and construction will commence immediately following Labour Day 2017. It is anticipated that the winning design team from the competition will be retained to undertake the design for this and any subsequent phases.

In addition, Councillor McConnell has obtained a $4 million contribution through Section 37 Funding for the project - these funds will only be available when the Bay-Park Centre gets final approvals and gets underway (or reaches grade).

It has been confirmed that the first phase of this project will start immediately after Labour Day in 2017 and be finished in spring 2018. This whole project isn't yet funded but $1.8 million is available for the early stages.

The 2017-2018 work will improve the entrance to the site from Queen's Quay by making a 60-metre long promenade with trees and benches from the street to the corner of the hotel building and will improve electrical servicing and put in improved lighting in the same style as that on the promenade at East Bay Front. There are also plans to make a small play area to meet needs of local families and children lining up for the ferry.

Back