Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I'm wondering if this proposal could be expanded now that the Harbour Castle will be up for re-development...

I like the overall design. I will sound like a broken record though in saying what's with all the non-native trees?

I don't disagree with you, but hasn't the city made the decision to plant trees that are native 2-3 zones south of here, because by the time they are mature, climate change will have shifted the zones north and they will be the new native species? So maybe that explains it.

Also, I like magnolias so don't mind them here and there.

Forgive me, but this terminal design seems so wrong-headed. Why does this park need a vast, undulating concrete structure in it? It just seems overbuilt, impractical, and not very park-like (though totally fitting into the recent trend of Toronto ‘parks’ that consist of bizarre, Modernist hardscapes).

The current terminal at least allows some sunlight and open air for waiting passengers. Why not enhance this with an even more open design that keeps it natural, with trees, plantings and perhaps some simple iron fencing to define waiting spaces, and as little built form as possible?

I don't disagree with you, but hasn't the city made the decision to plant trees that are native 2-3 zones south of here, because by the time they are mature, climate change will have shifted the zones north and they will be the new native species? So maybe that explains it.

This is an interesting point. I've definitely absolved myself after buying/planting trees that aren't found in Ontario currently, but are found a climate zone or two south. With the exact reasoning you've given (eventually through natural or anthropogenic warming those trees will be found here). As long as the species are from this continent, I think it's okay.

Forgive me, but this terminal design seems so wrong-headed. Why does this park need a vast, undulating concrete structure in it? It just seems overbuilt, impractical, and not very park-like (though totally fitting into the recent trend of Toronto ‘parks’ that consist of bizarre, Modernist hardscapes).

The current terminal at least allows some sunlight and open air for waiting passengers. Why not enhance this with an even more open design that keeps it natural, with trees, plantings and perhaps some simple iron fencing to define waiting spaces, and as little built form as possible?

I'm wondering this too. It definitely seems a tad overbuilt, and undoubtedly costly. I'm fully down with tree planting and improvements, and allowing for sun and weather protection for those waiting in line. But it looks like we're making an unnecessary mound, with a cave for people to stand in. Couldn't we achieve something similar with a kevlar canopy?

The open air thing is nice - and indeed this approach was used by the Stoss scheme - but at the end of the day shelter is needed during long waits.

AoD

Why do we even build train stations? Why spend so much money? Just plant a few trees next to the train tracks and their platforms. Passengers can wait in the open air and sunlight.

It's a ferry terminal. A station. If anything, this design is very clever in making a building that disappears into the park.

It also manages to hide the "concrete structure" by using a beautiful wooden grid for its roof supports. The park on the roof serves to meet one of the goals of this project and the grander waterfront revitalization which is to create a continuous path along the lake. The park will create an ininterrupted green space despite housing room for hundreds of waiting passengers under the canopy.

Forgive me, but this terminal design seems so wrong-headed. Why does this park need a vast, undulating concrete structure in it?

It's not a concrete structure underneath it: it's a wood-lam structure.

Forgive me, but this terminal design seems so wrong-headed. Why does this park need a vast, undulating concrete structure in it?

Refer to this slide, especially part III.

Picture1.png

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    745 KB · Views: 564
I LOVE this design. I'm so excited about the new and improved experience promised by this development.

Why do we need terminals? I don't know, but go and stand in the Great Hall at Union and tell me that doesn't add something to your day in the same way a cold, windy bus shelter could. Humanity is marked by it's public spaces. The way we treat the spaces we all share and use separates us from the uncivilized. This terminal promises to stand out and disappear at the same time, making those who use it as a terminal happy, while also offering a calm inviting park those who are just strolling along.

Can we skip the next three years so we can have this built already? :D

While I preferred the design of the aA terminal; what would be really neat would be to have the canopy fronting Queen's Quay designed in its likeness. That would be a nice compromise between -- what I felt -- were the two strongest proposals. I know this won't happen, but it would be really nice. I hate to see aA's gorgeous design go to waste. I wish this canopy could be tied into the final product somehow.

14274-49297.jpeg

14274-49306.jpeg

14274-49308.jpeg

14274-49303.jpeg

14274-49304.jpeg

14274-49307.jpeg

Last edited:
That was easily my favourite too… but I'm afraid it will only live on in those renderings and nowhere else…

I have a feeling there's going to be rails all over the side (and holes) of the ceiling, which would quite ruin the look I think.

That was easily my favourite too… but I'm afraid it will only live on in those renderings and nowhere else…

The woodwork reminds me of the incredible Bar Raval: http://www.partisanprojects.com/bar-raval

Has there ever been a competition for a project in Toronto that has combined elements of multiple proposals? I wish there was a way to implement the best of multiple visions.

Back