Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The ferry terminal presentation was dropped from the WT DRP meeting as the earlier presentations went two hours overtime. It is being rescheduled.

I would love to see this building fall into lake ontario so that Toronto can finally take back our waterfront. What happened today was just a small baby step toward condemning this building once and for all.

Waterfront Toronto: We invite you to attend a public meeting to provide feedback on the master plan for the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park.

Screen shot 2016-01-11 at 12.14.41 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-11 at 12.14.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-11 at 12.14.41 PM.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 993
This is really great. Hopefully it gets built as shown and not cheapened too much.

I like the overall design. I will sound like a broken record though in saying what's with all the non-native trees?

Pitch Pines and Magnolias and Turkish Hazel, amongst others.

Ok, I get some people like the smell and/or flowers of Magnolia, though frankly I find the smell can be overwhelming and cloying....but to each their own. I really wouldn't want to see/smell very many though.

I'd strongly prefer them to swap these out for species you should see on the shores of Lake Ontario. Cottonwood, Trembling Aspens, Eastern White Pine, maybe a small Eastern White Cedar Grove, and include a variety of native Oaks, White Oak, and Bur Oak to join Red (skip the Pin Oak).

Wildlife would much prefer the native choices. We're obviously not building a forest here, and there's room for some 'ornamental' trees. But I think the suggest mix wanders a bit far..........and is sub-optimal.

I also think it would be nice to find a spot when spring ephemeral could grow. (flowers that are only here for 4-6 weeks each spring). We have trilliums on our Health cards and Driver's Licenses but most people in the City never get to see them in nature; a formal bed of them, in a public space would be an interesting gesture, they tend to grow really well under mature oaks.

This is really great. Hopefully it gets built as shown and not cheapened too much.

I am happiest to see them proposing to narrow the parking garage/tunnel entrance to 2 lanes. And another interesting note is that they intend to have some kind of reinterpreted "wharf" structure on the Pier 27 side of the Yonge Slip.

This got to take the cake though:

upload_2016-1-28_8-43-31.png

Any comments by our resident nocturnal member?

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-28_8-43-31.png
    upload_2016-1-28_8-43-31.png
    792.7 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:
Looks wonderful. I like that people can go on the roof of the terminal structure, and the amount of potential uses here really wins me over as well. Looks like a much improved spot to wait for your ferry.

Back