Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

It would be nice if some elements of the aA proposal gets incorporated into the winning design, such as the geyser and LED lighting.

At the moment they have only $800,000. And it will be done on stages depending on the availability of funds.

They really took my advice from May, last year to heart... I should get credit :D
(I just wish they were more ambitious and beefed up their proposal a bit)

Maybe something along the lines of the Yokohama Ferry Terminal; something you can walk on, so you can always walk along the edge of the water (plus, it looks a lot like our current WaveDecks).

ferry-terminal1.jpg

DSC_5189_20100916_170952-751393.jpg

That looks terribly slippery when wet, though.

The WT projects so far as held up quite well against cheapening.

AoD
Maybe not cheapening but not very long lasting. West8's extensive use of wood is concerning given how the wave decks look just a few years after their installation.

Perhaps a good sanding every 4 or 5 years will be needed to keep them looking good.

Maybe not cheapening but not very long lasting. West8's extensive use of wood is concerning given how the wave decks look just a few years after their installation.

Perhaps a good sanding every 4 or 5 years will be needed to keep them looking good.
Wood is a natural product that changes as it ages - the wave-decks and lamp poles along Queen's Quay certainly are 'weathering' but this is surely what they are meant to do. I doubt sanding is a good idea but MAYBE they will need a coat of oil every few years.

Like DSC mentioned, it's a known element in the design - and my comment re: cheapening is referring more to durables like granite and care in execution in any case.

AoD

Can someone who was at the Design Review Panel meeting last night give us an update on what was proposed for the ferry terminal?

Back