Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Apologies if I missed anyone's response regarding this: Have they mentioned why and how they will deal with the LRT running north of Steeles? Especially, with consideration the road being 2 lanes? I wish I could attend the public forums, but they are at horrible times.

I suspect the 9 lane configuration was a hold over from the days before the 410 was built. Once the 410 was there to take the majority of intercity traffic Highway 10 was de-evolved to the Region. It is no longer a Provincial highway. It is just a regional arterial road. There is a chapter in the 2010 Masterplan for Hurontario Main Street that talks about further change that need to happen to the development along the corridor in order to make it a pedestrian and transit friendly street. http://lrt-mississauga.brampton.ca/EN/Master-Plan/Pages/Related-Documents.aspx (see Planning and Urban Design Framework chapter)

Wait, 9 lanes?

Hurontario/Main Street is only three through NB and three through SB lanes from Charolais Drive to the QEW (now that the bottleneck at the 401 is now fixed). At Steeles Avenue, there are nine lanes when the right and dual left turn lanes are included. But only at the dual left turn intersections (also at Britannia) is it 9 lanes across.

But Highway 10 was not downloaded to Peel Region - it was downloaded to the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga.

Wait, 9 lanes?

Hurontario/Main Street is only three through NB and three through SB lanes from Charolais Drive to the QEW (now that the bottleneck at the 401 is now fixed). At Steeles Avenue, there are nine lanes when the right and dual left turn lanes are included. But only at the dual left turn intersections (also at Britannia) is it 9 lanes across.

The point was that the right of way is 9 lanes wide, not that the street in its current configuration uses the full allowance.

Apologies if I missed anyone's response regarding this: Have they mentioned why and how they will deal with the LRT running north of Steeles? Especially, with consideration the road being 2 lanes? I wish I could attend the public forums, but they are at horrible times.
From Steeles to Nanwood, dedicated LRT lanes. From Nanwood to Wellington, mixed traffic lanes (which is fine, because it doesn't stop). Wellington to the GO station, dedicated ROW on the outside lanes, with the southbound stop integrated with the sidewalk/square in front of City Hall at Main/Wellington, and the northbound stop at Queen/Main with the stop integrated with the square that leads to the Rose Theatre.

I, amongst many (including many downtown residents) at the Brampton PIC, told the planners that they should've kept with the transit mall between Nelson and Queen.

I, amongst many (including many downtown residents) at the Brampton PIC, told the planners that they should've kept with the transit mall between Nelson and Queen.

The opinions of people who attend transit PIC's don't usually represent the opinion of the average residents of the surrounding area.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about looping the LRT North of steeles ave. to go West, to Mc Laughlin, then Ray Lawson and back to Hurontario South???
Considering that Sheridan College Davis Campus is trying to Get University status, and around that Block theres still plenty of land to develop as supposed to going Downtown Bramptons where theres no more development opportunities + narrow roads + it would I think destroy the heritage area.

What do you guys think about looping the LRT North of steeles ave. to go West, to Mc Laughlin, then Ray Lawson and back to Hurontario South???
Considering that Sheridan College Davis Campus is trying to Get University status, and around that Block theres still plenty of land to develop as supposed to going Downtown Bramptons where theres no more development opportunities + narrow roads + it would I think destroy the heritage area.

Ridership doesn't justify the cost for the loop. This is the same for Sq One Loop.

Have you really walked around the downtown area and seen the land that is available for development?? One right across from the plan LRT station. 4 fail plans to developed the old Dominion Skate site. A number of parking lots. You got all of Hurontario north of the GO station as well a number of site within a few blocks. Most of Queen St E.

This will be going to the Planning and Development Committee on April 12 for approval of stops in Mississauga and have not seen or heard about Brampton meeting yet.

If the "how about a new route" folks are successful in getting a new route considered (and that is doubtful) it won't be that one....if it is gonna deviate from going straight up Main...it is far more likely to find a way east to Centre/Queen or Kennedy/Queen (but, again....I would not bet a pay cheque on any route change).

Having the School/College(Sheridan-Davis) hopefully the 1st University for Brampton along the LRT line I think would be more benificial for Brampton than congesting a beautiful heritage Downtown, where they envision farmers market in spring/summer and Christmas Market in winter. I just dont see it working for the Brampton DT having 2 dedicated lanes used up for the LRT+ another 2 lanes for the cars.Whats gonna be left for the sidewalks ??

Having the School/College(Sheridan-Davis) hopefully the 1st University for Brampton along the LRT line I think would be more benificial for Brampton than congesting a beautiful heritage Downtown, where they envision farmers market in spring/summer and Christmas Market in winter. I just dont see it working for the Brampton DT having 2 dedicated lanes used up for the LRT+ another 2 lanes for the cars.Whats gonna be left for the sidewalks ??
Beautiful downtown heritage areas can have transit going through them. The modern trams going through historic downtown European, and even some American, small cities haven't destroyed any of them yet.

Maybe people from south Brampton could take the LRT into North Brampton for the Farmer's Market.

Also, there will be a crossover before Wellington. The intent for the Farmer's Market (amongst other things) is to use the Wellington stop as a temporary terminus on days like the Farmer's Market, or the Christmas Market, or what have you (because LRTs don't need loops unlike streetcars).Having the LRT be flush with the roadway also allows the Santa Clause parade to use Hurontario; they'll just turn the LRT back further.

Also, the city, while wanting Sheridan to become a university, would also like Sheridan to expand into downtown Brampton itself (nevermind Algoma University already has a Brampton campus).

Beautiful downtown heritage areas can have transit going through them. The modern trams going through historic downtown European, and even some American, small cities haven't destroyed any of them yet.

Agreed....ruining the historic feel of DT Brampton is not the reason this LRT is the wrong option.

Maybe people from south Brampton could take the LRT into North Brampton for the Farmer's Market.

The farmer's market is right in the "core" which is closer to the south end of town than the north end. It closes Main from Nelson to Queen

Also, there will be a crossover before Wellington. The intent for the Farmer's Market (amongst other things) is to use the Wellington stop as a temporary terminus on days like the Farmer's Market, or the Christmas Market, or what have you

That's the first time I've heard that.....good thing we don't have Saturday GO trains...cause that network connectivity just went out the window ;)

Also, the city, while wanting Sheridan to become a university, would also like Sheridan to expand into downtown Brampton itself (nevermind Algoma University already has a Brampton campus).

Correct on Sheridan.....but I would hardly consider what Algoma has in Brampton a "campus".....that's a bit much for a few suites in an office building offering one program/degree.

Agreed....ruining the historic feel of DT Brampton is not the reason this LRT is the wrong option.

The farmer's market is right in the "core" which is closer to the south end of town than the north end. It closes Main from Nelson to Queen

That's the first time I've heard that.....good thing we don't have Saturday GO trains...cause that network connectivity just went out the window ;)

Correct on Sheridan.....but I would hardly consider what Algoma has in Brampton a "campus".....that's a bit much for a few suites in an office building offering one program/degree.

Daaaa!!!!.............. how do I connect to the 501 or 502 from Wellington without walking blocks???

According to the BIA and the Downtown Development Corp, there are places the markets can setup for the few hours like they do now in the DT area and not interfering with traffic as well having people shop there.

The LRT in the DT will help it than destroy.

Having Sheridan in the DT will not work there like Mississauga and that not the right place or hight in the first place for Mississauga. Its urban sprawl in the so call DT.

The problem with running LRT's along Main Street is not that it will destroy the heritage main street character - it won't. It will probably help it. The problem is that in many cases the types of retail shops along the main street will change. Some retailer are geared towards automobile users and won't have the same sales numbers if the street becomes less car-friendly. Other retailers will face rent increases since competing retailers will likely want to move in, so some fiscally-borderline retailers may be forced out. The BIA is an association of the existing retailers in the area. They do not necessarily support what is best for the people of the City has a whole, they support what is best for their members.

Daaaa!!!!.............. how do I connect to the 501 or 502 from Wellington without walking blocks???

According to the BIA and the Downtown Development Corp, there are places the markets can setup for the few hours like they do now in the DT area and not interfering with traffic as well having people shop there.

I agree that it is far more likely that the market changes location than it gets accommodated by short turning a Main Street LRT. I had never heard of the notion of the LRT accommodating the market and other Main Street events like DKsan said above.

The problem with running LRT's along Main Street is not that it will destroy the heritage main street character - it won't. It will probably help it. The problem is that in many cases the types of retail shops along the main street will change. Some retailer are geared towards automobile users and won't have the same sales numbers if the street becomes less car-friendly. Other retailers will face rent increases since competing retailers will likely want to move in, so some fiscally-borderline retailers may be forced out. The BIA is an association of the existing retailers in the area. They do not necessarily support what is best for the people of the City has a whole, they support what is best for their members.

Except I can't see the retailers that currently exist as being car-dependent. When I think of car-dependent retailers that need street parking, I think major electronics, furniture, AKA things that are big. There's a dress store and a cake store, but immediately behind them is one of the garages. There's that one hardware/paint store right across from city hall, but I believe there's a parking lot behind that one too.

I will agree that the BDDC, probably is opposing out of not wanting change (unless that changes kicks out the "seedier" elements *eye roll* ).

Back