Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I agree that it is far more likely that the market changes location than it gets accommodated by short turning a Main Street LRT. I had never heard of the notion of the LRT accommodating the market and other Main Street events like DKsan said above.
Several planners at the PIC told myself and other residents that.

Except I can't see the retailers that currently exist as being car-dependent. When I think of car-dependent retailers that need street parking, I think major electronics, furniture, AKA things that are big. There's a dress store and a cake store, but immediately behind them is one of the garages. There's that one hardware/paint store right across from city hall, but I believe there's a parking lot behind that one too.

I will agree that the BDDC, probably is opposing out of not wanting change (unless that changes kicks out the "seedier" elements *eye roll* ).

BDDC is in support of the plan as presented and would like to see a change to the plaza area in front of the Rose Theatre. They have said there place for people to park and pickup items that is within a short walking distance of the store.

Like St Clair, once the word comes that the line is officially been built, rents will go up and see a more upscale area in the long run. Some rents have gone up just over the talk of this line.

There a parking lot a block west of Main on the surface, underground a block south of Queen just off Main, City Hall and other places. You can add the GO Station as well and it is free at this time.

BDDC is in support of the plan as presented and would like to see a change to the plaza area in front of the Rose Theatre. They have said there place for people to park and pickup items that is within a short walking distance of the store.

BDDC is not just a BIA....and is not just funded by the retailers/businesses in the DT......it gets a lot of its money from the city on top of the special levy on the businesses. It would be strange indeed if they opposed something the city favoured.

There a parking lot a block west of Main on the surface, underground a block south of Queen just off Main, City Hall and other places. You can add the GO Station as well and it is free at this time.
There is a ton of available parking just off the street in DT Brampton.

In addition to the ones you note....there is parking under the Rose....GO station parking and a garage on George Street (attached to the surface parking I think you are referencing) all of these are free on weekends and after 6 weekdays.....so there should be no parking impediment to growing a business in DT Brampton.

Beautiful downtown heritage areas can have transit going through them. The modern trams going through historic downtown European, and even some American, small cities haven't destroyed any of them yet.

Maybe people from south Brampton could take the LRT into North Brampton for the Farmer's Market.

Also, there will be a crossover before Wellington. The intent for the Farmer's Market (amongst other things) is to use the Wellington stop as a temporary terminus on days like the Farmer's Market, or the Christmas Market, or what have you (because LRTs don't need loops unlike streetcars).Having the LRT be flush with the roadway also allows the Santa Clause parade to use Hurontario; they'll just turn the LRT back further.

Also, the city, while wanting Sheridan to become a university, would also like Sheridan to expand into downtown Brampton itself (nevermind Algoma University already has a Brampton campus).

I do agree that having a good mode of transportation coming in the downtown would be beneficial but I just feel the roads in downtown are too narrow for a dedicated 2 lane LRT + car lanes

They should try to study San Francisco ,see how nice heritage looking cable cars are able to use the car lanes as well, in this case being able to save more space for sidewalk for the purpose of being a pedestrian friendly zone...

Would be nice to see something like this: ( but something that's winter friendly for sure ... Lol)

http://youtu.be/sZiYI8H-D9U

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now That sidewalk is pedestrian friendly

image.jpg

Compare that with this narrow one from metrolinx plan where people cannot hang out/relax sit down and sip a drink.
Add snow into that picture and no one would wanna hang out there

How will Sheridan expand into Downtown??? Where will they put up the school? I just don't see any more space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 721
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 749
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:
Correct mne if I'm wrong, but isn't Main Street already 4 lanes? I don't understand how dedicating the 2 outer lanes for LRT (which would allow the lanes to be narrower?) and making the roadway flush with the sidewalk would make things worse for pedestrians compared to what is there now...

Correct mne if I'm wrong, but isn't Main Street already 4 lanes? I don't understand how dedicating the 2 outer lanes for LRT (which would allow the lanes to be narrower?) and making the roadway flush with the sidewalk would make things worse for pedestrians compared to what is there now...

Looks like its pretty close to the same to me:

http://goo.gl/maps/IGFsq

The benefit of having the LRT in the middle is they can have on-street parking for off peak periods. The benefit of having the LRT in the curb lanes is the LRT doesn't block cars when they stop. So the trade-off is cars parking vs. traffic flowing.

The reason to put streetcars in the middle in Toronto is so the streetcars can turn. There's not going to be an LRT network in Downtown Brampton, so what's the point? Of course, ROW for the LRT is not possible if the tracts in the middle. Main isn't Spadina...

Considering all this talk of how to run LRT through Downtown Brampton, it is very shocking that they won't bother with LRT within Port Credit at all. To exclude the LRT from this historic downtown, which is larger, more developed, and has more potential than DT Brampton, I think it is just insane.

The reason to put streetcars in the middle in Toronto is so the streetcars can turn. There's not going to be an LRT network in Downtown Brampton, so what's the point? Of course, ROW for the LRT is not possible if the tracts in the middle. Main isn't Spadina...

Considering all this talk of how to run LRT through Downtown Brampton, it is very shocking that they won't bother with LRT within Port Credit at all. To exclude the LRT from this historic downtown, which is larger, more developed, and has more potential than DT Brampton, I think it is just insane.

If you look a the various plans, the LRT ran on Port Street to 1 Port St with a station.

One Port St redevelopment surface and it was recommend that the stop be moved to the west side of the development as a n-s stop.

Then the Esso lands surface with the idea that the line continue west from the new location for the Port St over the mouth of the PC River to the centre of the Esso lands and then turn north with a stop there. This would allow the line to go west at a future date. I don't see the line going west under 50 years at least unless Lakeshore is 100% redevelop with higher density all the way to Southdown Rd. Given how NIMBY PC and all of Lakeshore west is, not in the cards. When you only have 5 people on the 23E at 9pm sure doesn't support the need for LRT.

Port St was put on hold until more is known what going to happen to One Port and the Esso land as they don't want to spend money twice for the same stop.

Main Street is narrow with narrow 4 lanes south of the Halton Line until it widen further south of the creek. There not enough room in the DT area for Centre platforms and why the line is in the curb lane.

There a number of places in Europe that have single and double tracks in the curb lane and have no problems turning onto other streets.

Then the Esso lands surface with the idea that the line continue west from the new location for the Port St over the mouth of the PC River to the centre of the Esso lands and then turn north with a stop there. This would allow the line to go west at a future date. I don't see the line going west under 50 years at least unless Lakeshore is 100% redevelop with higher density all the way to Southdown Rd.

Why not make it go east to Long Branch?

If you look a the various plans, the LRT ran on Port Street to 1 Port St with a station.

Yes! The LRT originally had a stop near the GO Station (the new planned terminus) and would have continued south of Lakeshore Road, with a terminus at Port and Elizabeth, which would have served Port Credit much better and be more visible in the heart of that great neighbourhood.

Main Street is narrow with narrow 4 lanes south of the Halton Line until it widen further south of the creek. There not enough room in the DT area for Centre platforms and why the line is in the curb lane.

I have little idea of what you are trying to say there. Halton Line?

Was there any thought given to doing a loop in Port Credit? By this I mean: south along Hurontario, west along Lakeshore, north along Stavebank, east through the GO parking lot back to Hurontario.

Even if it's only a one-way track, I would think it would be much better for the neighbourhood and would offer more connectivity to the GO station compared to the current plan. I would put stops right in front of the GO station, on Lakeshore at Stavebank, and on Hurontario at Lakeshore.

Why not make it go east to Long Branch?

It was on my plan in 2004 and show up on Mississauga plan in 2006, but in the 25 year plus range at this time. The Ward Councilor would like to see it happen sooner.

Doing a loop in PC will cause more problems than enough, that on street parking for Lakeshore would have to be remove and will piss the BIA and the NINMY folks off 100%.

All the side streets are vary narrow in the first place to think of running the line backup to the GO Station. Also, travel time would be longer than walking and have a impact on the bus terminal as well the one-way street.

Should said Brampton GO Station in place of the Halton Line.

Doing a loop in PC will cause more problems than enough, that on street parking for Lakeshore would have to be remove and will piss the BIA and the NINMY folks off 100%.

All the side streets are vary narrow in the first place to think of running the line backup to the GO Station. Also, travel time would be longer than walking and have a impact on the bus terminal as well the one-way street.

Fair enough. I was just looking for a way to keep good access to the GO station, and actually serve Port Credit at the same time.

I though the original terminus at Port/Elizabeth station was fine. If there is LRT on Lakeshore, it should be Waterfront West. Keep that separate from the Hurontario LRT.

Lakeshore doesn't have that high ridership though, especially west of Port Credit. Even LRT on Hurontario is way overkill, let alone Lakeshore... Lakeshore does seem like it could see a lot of redevelopment, but obviously redevelopment is not a major factor for building new transit judging from what's going on in Toronto.

BTW, thinking of Waterfront West LRT to Port Credit , it just occurred to me that the Hurontario LRT should be TTC gauge, so that the two lines will be compatiable with each other.

Back