Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Stuff like this is why we need Metrolinx...

Metrolinx is pushing BRT 100% for Hurontario and that a mistake. Brampton has been bushing BRT and that why MT has a 102 on the road today. Ridership numbers for 2031 clearly show LRT is needed.

2031 Ridership numbers going north from Dundas is less than it will be in 5 years for peak time and we are 80% there today

Brampton has been looking at moving GO and transit to the old hospital site. Goes against a lot of things for Downtown Brampton.

I found the turn out very light.

Lots of new stuff and you need the 2 hours to get a handle on it.

About 12 options for Sq One for doing transit and goes against the Downtown 21 thinking. A number of options for Brampton Downtown also.

65% of existing stops will be remove and how to connect to some east-west routes are missing to the point you will have to walk a block or 3 minutes to get to them.

A large number of riders will end up walking 1,500m to a stop base on how the roads off Hurontario are layout. A number of real trip generator stop are gone and place at low ones like TLK students will have to wak to/from Dundas or the Cooksville GO stop as Hillcrest and the stop next to the school is gone. There is no stop for a school in Brampton and the stops are more like 700m apart with a nice big gap between them outside the radius area.

Centre of the road is what been call for. The idea of on one side of the road has been dismiss and don't buy the reason. Need to bring the West 8 team doing the waterfront to show how it should be done.

Not sure when the boards will be on line.

I will be at Brampton PIC as I have a number of Question to ask.

The final recommendation for LRT or BRT will be done in the fall. THere is a push by many that it should be LRT.

^

We need a Metrolinx to ensure that we have one line instead of two -
the technology chosen is irrelevant to my point.

And, it's a handful of councillors who suggested that the city of Brampton study the issue. We must be very careful not to confuse an idea being studied with a policy that is being implemented. This sort of confusion is responsible for a lot of public cynicism, in my opinion.

We need a Metrolinx to ensure that we have one line instead of two - the technology chosen is irrelevant to my point.

Respectfully, I completely disagree. Mississauga shouldn't have to suffer with BRT because Brampton doesn't have enough ridership to support LRT.

If we can't do it with Brampton, I say we go it alone. It seems it was a mistake to try to do this with Brampton at all. I thought it was a good idea to have a one-seat ride from Port Credit to Brampton. But that was based on the (apparently faulty) assumption that it would be a streetcar, not a BRT, which would only be marginally better than what we have now.

It seems to me this whole joint venture was a huge mistake. I think it's time Mississauga went it alone, both when it comes to Hurontario and Peel Region. Peel is an albatross around Mississauga's neck, and so is Brampton. Time to cut out the dead weight.

If BRT is done right, (100% exclusive lanes, 100% signal priority, and POP) I would be fine with it. If it turns out anything like Vancouver's 98-B line though, which I fear it may... no thanks!

Ideally, I hope the city decides on LRT. Its more attractive than a bus and will save us the trouble of having to upgrade to LRT later on.

Respectfully, I completely disagree. Mississauga shouldn't have to suffer with BRT because Brampton doesn't have enough ridership to support LRT.

If we can't do it with Brampton, I say we go it alone. It seems it was a mistake to try to do this with Brampton at all. I thought it was a good idea to have a one-seat ride from Port Credit to Brampton. But that was based on the (apparently faulty) assumption that it would be a streetcar, not a BRT, which would only be marginally better than what we have now.

It seems to me this whole joint venture was a huge mistake. I think it's time Mississauga went it alone, both when it comes to Hurontario and Peel Region. Peel is an albatross around Mississauga's neck, and so is Brampton. Time to cut out the dead weight.

Hold on folks. This is just a rumour only mentioned by one forum member.

Again, the technology choice is irrelevant to my argument.

We need a regional authority to ensure that cross-border disputes don't lead to a fractured transit system.

It has to be seemless with logical transfer points - it doesn't have to be lowest common denominator.

When you cut off this dead weight....will you refund the tax dollars that flowed south to build the regional infrastructure when Mississauga needed it and Brampton didn't or are we only dead weight now that it is Brampton that is seeing road and infrastructure expansion? Just trying to figure out when Brampton became dead weight....was it right around the time Mississauga got full?

Mississauga will build a Hurontario LRT Line

I absolutely agree that we need Metrolinx to take the leading role in coordinating projects such as this.

As for Brampton, I would challenge members here planning to attend the next session to point blank ask the politicans and staff there if they support an LRT line, and if not, why?

As for this talk for BRT; the current ridership figures in Mississauga already support an LRT line. Why would we even bother with BRT if demand for LRT is already present today?

There is absolutely no way Hazel, Council and Mississauga residents are going to take away two full lanes of traffic off Hurontario for reserved bus lanes. The bottom line is that Mississauga needs and will build an LRT line up Hurontario.

Louroz

Louroz

When you cut off this dead weight....will you refund the tax dollars that flowed south to build the regional infrastructure when Mississauga needed it

First of all, there is not much regional infrastructure in Mississauga. For example, the vast majority of regional roads in Peel are in Caledon, serving a much smaller population. There are hardly any regional roads in Mississauga at all. And the region does not fund transit at all.

And secondly, most people in Peel living in Mississauga and it has been that way a long time, and so most of Peel's funding has come from Mississauga.

So if anything, the money has always flowed northward, not southward.

Why side of street?

Centre of the road is what been call for. The idea of on one side of the road has been dismiss and don't buy the reason. Need to bring the West 8 team doing the waterfront to show how it should be done.

Not sure when the boards will be on line.

Well if you have it at the side of the street, what do you do at the 4 highway interchanges? It will be tough enough to get MTO on side with it in the centre of the street.

Queens Quay is not comparable, because there are no freeway interchanges and it is also the southern edge of the city, with no major existing cross streets to complicate traffic operations.

And which side would you suggest in Mineola or old Brampton?

The boards are now on-line at hurontario-main.ca. The Brampton meeting is Wed June 17 at City Hall.

First of all, there is not much regional infrastructure in Mississauga. For example, the vast majority of regional roads in Peel are in Caledon, serving a much smaller population. There are hardly any regional roads in Mississauga at all. And the region does not fund transit at all.

And secondly, most people in Peel living in Mississauga and it has been that way a long time, and so most of Peel's funding has come from Mississauga.

So if anything, the money has always flowed northward, not southward.

I guess if you say so it must be true but there seems to be a lot of regional roads that run north/south throughout the entire region that have been far further developed at their south ends for a lot longer than they have been at their north ends.

but, I guess, none of these roads are in Mississauga.

http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/roads/road-map/peel-roads.htm

That 45m ROW with the segregated bike lanes looks great.... Mississauga/Brampton must be some of the only cities in Ontario doing these types of lanes (proposed for Burnhamthorpe as well IIRC_). I just hope they treat the intersection right, with bike signals like in Holland and Germany, and not some awkward intersection like you find for many 'multi-use paths' in Ontario

I guess if you say so it must be true but there seems to be a lot of regional roads that run north/south throughout the entire region that have been far further developed at their south ends for a lot longer than they have been at their north ends.

but, I guess, none of these roads are in Mississauga.

http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/roads/road-map/peel-roads.htm

Yes, look at map provided. The length of regional roads in Mississauga is roughly one-third that of Brampton and less than one-quarter that of Caledon. Regional roads in Mississauga only make up around one-tenth of the regional roads in Peel, despite the fact that Mississauga contains more than half the population of the region. Look at Winston Churchill, which is regional road in Brampton and Caledon but not in Mississauga.

The Regional Road system is merely the legacy of the former County Road system. Country roads were the most important ones of the time - Mississauga Road (County #1, later transferred to the brand new Erin Mills Parkway) connected Port Credit to Streetsville to Caledon, #3, Britannia, connected Streetsville to Highway 10, etc. Winston Churchill (#19) is a county/regional road only where it touches Halton County/Region.

What is now Mississauga had more provincial highways (2, 5, 10, 122) than Brampton (7, 10) and Caledon on a per kilometre basis. Up to the 1990s, the highways within urban areas were downloaded to the cities (Hurontario/Main Street, Dundas, Lakeshore but still signed as provincial routes, but the Harris downloads (50, 7, 136, 24) ended up going to the region for some reason. Oh, and Peel does fund paratransit.

Since regionalization, though, is there a need for the regional road system, especially when many don't cross municipal lines? Caledon can afford to look after their road system.

But funny that we go back into that Peel debate, with all the Mississauga fourmers questioning Peel, when only one person mentioned some sort of unsubstainted rumour.

In any case, back on topic, folks. Otherwise, we're beating a dead horse.

Back