Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

All the TTC has to do is cancel route 50 and subsidize MT's operation of route 26/76 so that people along Burnhamthorpe can use it. The TTC has no business providing service on Burnhamthorpe, only MT should provide the service. After all, 80% of the 26/76 lies within Mississauga.

It was stated today at Council, The LRT will use Burnhamthorpre, Duke of York an Rathburn to service the city centre.

Such BS. The LRT should stay on Hurontario. The transit terminal and busway should accomodate the LRT, not the other way around. This city has no idea what public transit is. All the transit plans in the GTA are pathetic.

Last edited:
This city has no idea what public transit is. All the transit plans in the GTA are pathetic.

"Why? Why? Why?
What?
Why exactly?
What? Why?
Be more constructive with your feedback, please. Why?
Why?" - Flight of the Conchords

There is no reason at all that the Hurontario LRT should be diverted from Hurontario! People going to Square One can get off at Robert Speck. Most MT routes in MCC already connect to Hurontario at various points along Hurontario.

Today, there are only a handful of routes serving CCTT that do not connect with Hurontario St:

6, 9, 66... that's it! THREE routes!

So the only concern with the Hurontario LRT should be how to connect it with the transitway, which is a simple matter of building a transitway station at Hurontario/Rathburn, which will also have a terminal for route 6, 9, and 66. The LRT station here should be underground for a more convenient transfer.

Taking the LRT off Hurontario to service CCTT will be such a huge mistake, it will be sad to see. But then again, I guess Mississauga is just following the rest of GTA's bullshit transit plans with its own bullshit transit plan.

It's been interesting to see how much of a progressive transit advocate Hazel has been in the past few years. It was her motion that lead to the fare integration study (but it wasn't her fault it stalled) and it was her motion that moved the funding tools study forward.

Also, the TTC taking over the 26 is fine by me if it means taking over all the other routes across the region. That solves the problem too.

TTC forgot to tell MT and the city that pays 100% of TTC cost for the 38 and 58 in Mississauga they were cutting service with the last board change.

Council was not real happy about that.

In my 9 years dealing with transit, the last 3 has seen a real change in Hazel on transit. She started to get it 5 years ago.

She comes from the business side and that is lacking in most cities as well government side.

If TTC can provide better service that exist today in the 905, they can take over those systems at no extra cost to the riders. Never will happen.

The idea of moving the line over to Duke of York was to deal with all the new development west of it and that a mistake.

There is no reason at all that the Hurontario LRT should be diverted from Hurontario! People going to Square One can get off at Robert Speck. Most MT routes in MCC already connect to Hurontario at various points along Hurontario.

Today, there are only a handful of routes serving CCTT that do not connect with Hurontario St:

6, 9, 66... that's it! THREE routes!

So the only concern with the Hurontario LRT should be how to connect it with the transitway, which is a simple matter of building a transitway station at Hurontario/Rathburn, which will also have a terminal for route 6, 9, and 66. The LRT station here should be underground for a more convenient transfer.

Taking the LRT off Hurontario to service CCTT will be such a huge mistake, it will be sad to see. But then again, I guess Mississauga is just following the rest of GTA's bullshit transit plans with its own bullshit transit plan.

I used to agree with your opinion, but that has changed. I think it is important that the LRT divert to City Centre via the proposed route drum mentioned. With the number of people expected to move into the area around city hall, diverting the LRT line toward it can only help. Lets face it, we want MCC to be transit friendly and its the best place in Mississauga to promote transit use. Forcing people in the densest part of Mississauga to make multiple transfers would be a stupid idea. Lets bring the transit to them and bring people into MCC, instead of making everyone transfer to get to MCC.

Sure it may add some travel time for people who are going straight through, but im sure the time saved as a result of LRT would more than make up for that important detour.

Basically, If we want it to be our city centre, lets treat it like one. Having the LRT stop on the outskirts of the city centre would just be wrong. Its like putting Union's Go station at Spadina and making everyone take the a streetcar to union to get on the subway.

Last edited:
Seeing as how Square One is the largest transit hub in the GTA, it's well worth the investment to veer the LRT line off Hurontario for a spell to serve it directly. Not to mention the City Hall and other municipal offices/services are within that vicinity as well in need of a direct connection.

So let me get this straight - in order to serve Mississauga City Hall, the route will divert 1.6 km (distance from Hurontario to DoY and back again)? So anyone wanting to get from say Eglinton and Hurontario to Cooksville will have to add 10 minutes to the trip than if it just went straight down Hurontario with a secondary terminal? (Time assuming signal priority isn't a disaster.) I wouldn't have a problem if it was a shorter diversion just to get over towards a rebuilt CCTT via Robert Speck and City Centre Drive and City View/403/hydro back to Hurontario. The LRT is not supposed to be a milk run anyway.

Forcing people in the densest part of Mississauga to make multiple transfers would be a stupid idea. Lets bring the transit to them and bring people into MCC, instead of making everyone transfer to get to MCC.

No disrespect, but they should have thought of all this before deciding a mall parking lot would be the best place in Mississauga to have a "downtown." Should it have been obvious that Hurontario was the main north-south axis?

Perhaps instead, if Mississauga was serious about the idea, it should do a Portland Streetcar type operation and run a high-quality local feeder service then and connect everything to the LRT.

Last edited:
This LRT should definitely NOT veer off of Hurontario. It should be grid based. The terminal is what should be moved.
Like I said... Hurontario & Burnhamthorpe would be the perfect location. It could even be built underground, with a PATH like system to connect to Square One.

The terminal may have to move. Even the LRT report from the city says that it's overcrowded when all the buses arrive.

Diverting the Hurontario LRT all the way to Duke of York and around Square One to Burnhamthorpe would be a colossal waste of infrastructure and everyone's time thereafter. Think of all the specially signalled intersections that would need to be constructed down Duke of York alone! How would any future crosstown transit on Burnhamthorpe interact with such a random segment? It's all unnecessary complexity.

This rivals preempting future extension of the Sheppard line in capricious insanity.

The expense to tunnel the LRT through MCC would be money well-spent. The high density of intersections (which is a good thing for urbanity), and four curves required to bring the LRT down Duke of York will undoubtedly have a considerable negative effect on travel times.

A second option might be to plan this together with the Dundas LRT. You could have a route that travels from Kipling subway across Dundas to Hurontario, up Hurontario, and into MCC along Burnhamthorpe or Rathburn. This way, the Hurontario route could stay on Hurontario.

torontofcfan's questions

The "proof of concept' sites will be sites where they develop concepts for what transit oriented development could be created - for example, Cooksville Go Station, there's tons of land there....down to TL Kennedy and across Hurontario. That will be presented at the next consultation session in June.

The 407 site will eventually be a station on the 407 busway.

Full report is at www.hurontario-main.ca

Hurontario route not yet defined

The terminal is no where in anything I have seen to date as well in the 10 year capital budget.

It was stated today at Council, The LRT will use Burnhamthorpre, Duke of York an Rathburn to service the city centre.

Even in it's own ROW, riders will be spending an extra 15-20 minutes travel time trying to bypass Sq One like today.

Next public meeting is supposed to be in June for the BRT/LRT.

Will post more on the presentation at Council later.

The one laugh I had was the comment that TTC wants to take over the ""Full"" operation of 26/76.

Given the fact TTC cannot deal with it's own systems for buses and drivers, Where is it going to get them to do 76/26??

At the same time, TTC doesn't have artic's and will require to put more buses on the road to carry the current service of MT.

Hazel is beating the war drum on Fare Integration. She said if Fare integration cannot happen on Burnhamthrope, not going to happen else where under Metrolinx watch. Totally agree and time the Province step in tell TTC this is what you are going to do on Fare Integration and the Presto like it or not.

Drum118 is jumping the gun a bit...the route through the city centre has not been defined. Options are being studied, including on or off Hurontario itself. Interesting discussion...people seem to have varying opinions.

Last edited:
Money needed to fuel rail transit plan
By: Radhika Panjwani
rpanjwani@mississauga.net

371e381247bdb3b1a9a0d319a0b6.jpeg

Supplied photo
Mississauga residents might see light rail transit vehicles such as this cruising along Hurontario St. if proper funding can be secured.

Mayor Hazel McCallion says creating a light rail transit (LRT) system along Hurontario St. —identified by Metrolinx as one of its 15 priority projects — doesn’t make sense unless there’s development and density to justify the costs.

McCallion was responding to a progress report on the City’s Hurontario/Main St. study presented to councillors on Wednesday by City staff and a private consultant firm, Officeforurbanism.

The on-going study is looking into the feasibility of developing LRT along an 18-kilometre corridor stretching from Port Credit to downtown Brampton. It’s also part of Metrolinx’s $50-billion vision to improve public transportation across the GTA and Hamilton area.

“The cost of integrating transit within the GTA is very difficult. We are trying to do that at Metrolinx and I assure you, it’s not easy,” said McCallion who sits on its board.

“I don’t know where the money is going to come from — the cost is astronomical. I am not a dreamer, I am practical. You need density to make a light rail system work. The only thing that’s going to justify this is density along the route.”

The Hurontario/Main St. study will help the City develop an official transit plan. Having such a plan in place, says McCallion, is important because when Metrolinx does announce a start date, the City will be ready.

Queen’s Park has funded $6 million for the study and environmental assessments in Mississauga and Brampton. The City has already held a series of community workshops.

The final stage of the study is scheduled for the fall during which time the City will develop details such as technology, land use and cost estimates.

If built, the Hurontario/Main St. LRT will integrate with the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), a new bus-only roadway along Hwy. 403 and Eglinton Ave., that is expected to be up and running by 2012.

City officials and planners tout the Hurontario/Main St. transit system as unique because it combines city building and public transit.

Ward 4 Councillor Frank Dale, however, remains skeptical. He noted that the City Centre area, which he represents, is an example where major development has occurred, but reliable and fast transit remains a pipe dream for residents.

“One of the concerns I have with projects of this magnitude is that it’s fine to say there are lot of areas (along the route) that can be re-developed,” Dale said. “(But) if we allow the densities to be built and haven’t got a transit commitment from the Province, we’re going to be in the same mess we’re in right now with respect to congestion.”

Source

Back