Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

This LRT should definitely NOT veer off of Hurontario. It should be grid based. The terminal is what should be moved.
Like I said... Hurontario & Burnhamthorpe would be the perfect location. It could even be built underground, with a PATH like system to connect to Square One.

Such a terminal would not connect to either Square One or the Transitway and prime land at a major intersection. It would also be very difficult for buses to access.

Forcing people in the densest part of Mississauga to make multiple transfers would be a stupid idea.

Exactly why would people be forced to make multiple transfers? Keeping the LRT on Hurontario would do no such thing.

This is actually a fairly complex yet immensely interesting problem and a worthwhile debate.

Elements include: Transitway, GO Transit existing terminal, MT existing transit terminal, Square One, Mississauga City Centre, and Hurontario.

Mississauga City Centre is very inconveniently located as far as being serviced by this corridor is concerned. Its needs would be best addressed by a Burhamthorpe LRT in the future. If such an LRT only goes east of Hurontario, as would probably be expected (i.e. the 76), Duke of York could be such a route's access to the Square One terminal.

The existing terminal is close to the Transitway and that relationship is worth maintaining and enhancing. By association, that includes the relationship with GO Transit.

If the existing terminal's newest addition to the northeast could be maintained, and a new terminal building built over at the next street east of the current terminal building (which is an unnamed street part of Sq.1's parking circulation system), stretching the new northeast addition across the length of the block and integrating it with the existing GO terminal (possibly including grade-separating Rathburn at the current bus terminal and GO bus terminal intersection, assuming the existing MT terminal would be decommissioned after the new one is up), the investment recently made into expanded capacity of the existing terminal would not be thrown away (which is politically important), and maintains a great relationship to the GO services. A new terminal building for MT would also have better direct access into Sq.1 with an opportunity to provide sheltered access all the way into the mall (into the Sears building).

This redesign can accomodate a better alignment option for the Hurontario LRT. It can come in off of Hurontario on Rathburn (and I'd sincerely hope they'd grade-separate the westbound lanes of Rathburn for the LRT to get onto Hurontario at this tricky intersection), tuck down the unnamed street between City Centre Dr. and the current terminal, and then out on Square One Dr. back to Hurontario to serve Robert Speck.

Short, sweet, efficient, and cost-effective.

Last edited:
Such a terminal would not connect to either Square One or the Transitway and prime land at a major intersection. It would also be very difficult for buses to access.

Exactly why would people be forced to make multiple transfers? Keeping the LRT on Hurontario would do no such thing.

Between the corner of Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe and Square One, there is a parking lot, a small building, and a parking garage. The parking lot and garage can go and be replaced by a terminal and an extension of Square One. Looking at a satellite image on Google map shows the parking lot to be almost empty, so prefect for a bus terminal.

Between the corner of Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe and Square One, there is a parking lot, a small building, and a parking garage. The parking lot and garage can go and be replaced by a terminal and an extension of Square One. Looking at a satellite image on Google map shows the parking lot to be almost empty, so prefect for a bus terminal.

But a bus terminal at a busy intersection of two 6-8 lane roads, one with an LRT, is not a good idea. Regular traffic, LRT traffic, LRT ROW barriers would all get in the way of the buses. Imagine putting a bus terminal at the corner of Yonge and Bloor. There should be an office building there, not a bus terminal.

And again, why would the bus terminal need to be moved in the first place??? All it would do would take away the connect to the transitway and Square One. And almost all bus routes serving Square One already connect to the 19/202 elsewhere. You guys are offering solutions to non-existent problems. There is no reason for the current bus terminal to be moved.

with that vote of confidence from the mayor, seems by the time the LRT comes around to fruition, you'll be able to put on your jet pack and fly to Switzerland to buy your non pasteurized milk before breakfast.

I just want to know how much more intensification is required before it is supported by the city.

Current terminal was outdated before the shovel went into the ground in 1996.

Never will handle 60,000+ riders daily.

A new terminal should be in the north-east corner as it will be near the 403 BRT and Hurontario LRT.

Those living west can catch 6,9,61,26,28,66,8 to get to the terminal.

A Presentation to General Committee of the Hurontario Main Street Study is available in PDF form is available at this link.

LOL almost every picture they used in that presentation was of LRT. Some of them were streetcars (i.e. mixed traffic).

A Presentation to General Committee of the Hurontario Main Street Study is available in PDF form is available at this link.

Oh man...some of those today/the future pictures were hilarious. The one on page 20 was particularly amusing. LRT: bringing large single-family homes to the suburbs since...

Last edited:
I found it particularly odd how they didn't try to model the same streets in the future, they simply took a current 'sauga street and slapped on some European street as the future. Can you say 'Monorail'?

I found it particularly odd how they didn't try to model the same streets in the future, they simply took a current 'sauga street and slapped on some European street as the future. Can you say 'Monorail'?

Indeed, that seemed so lazy that I wonder if they obtained permission to use those photos.

You could very easily build an underground walkway to Square One like the PATH.
It would not be difficult for buses to access at all. No more difficult than the current setup.

They could also simply bury the LRT Line through the Mississauga City Centre area. That's what I thought they're planning to do anyway given the grand-scale importance of the region; subwaylike with stops only at Burhamthrope/Kariya, Duke of York/Princess Royal and the Transit Terminal before crossing the 403 at a diagonal on its own private guideway and rejoining with Hurontario around Knightsbridge.

Wishful thinking though, I suppose.

Burying the LRT line would cost a lot more money than building a tunnel that connects with Square One from Hurontario & Burnhamthorpe. Transit should be grid based, not suburban rambling all over the place.

get out of your box

Indeed, that seemed so lazy that I wonder if they obtained permission to use those photos.

The project is about transformation of the street (and at this stage, visioning), so I don't see why you'd need images of exactly Dundas at Hurontario with a BRT or LRT plopped into it. I think the examples from different cities show the idea for each neighbourhood - i.e. Mississauga and Brampton don't always have to be the way they are now, why not dream of them as Strasbourg or Portland?

As for the "can you say monorail" comment...huh?

Back