Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

That was a switching lead that used to branch off to the old American Standard building's numerous sidings, as well as to a CN-CP connecting track at the SE corner of Davenport diamond by the old Canadian General Electric Royce Works building.

You used to be able to see some of that along Lappin Ave., and still on older Streetview:

I also assume the shape of the property and building of the Skor Cash & Carry is due to a previous railway siding.

Aaaand..... the tree line at Campbell Park along the tracks veers slightly to the west when you get to the north end of the park. I think that's probably related somehow.

You used to be able to see some of that along Lappin Ave., and still on older Streetview:

I also assume the shape of the property and building of the Skor Cash & Carry is due to a previous railway siding.

Aaaand..... the tree line at Campbell Park along the tracks veers slightly to the west when you get to the north end of the park. I think that's probably related somehow.
There was also a siding that went along Lappin, curved inside part of one of the American Standard buildings and ran to one of their loading docks along the west side of Lansdowne Avenue near Dupont. It's hard to pick out in any old aerial shots, but some old photos showing buses at TTC Royce Loop (SE corner Dupont/Lansdowne) may show CN boxcars spotted across the street.

The Skor C&C building was built on a parcel of land that was once a Dominion Coal & Wood yard,

There was a siding cutting into Campbell Park, that lead to the building north of Antler, but my map shows it as "Car Storage" (likely an unassigned siding at the time, as whoever once used it may have moved, closed or stopped shipping via rail).

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1588875025799.jpg

I figured that with it was safe to venture out (in mask, and alone) to see what's happening around the diamond. Sure enough, there were people walking and cycling all over. Here are a couple pictures from this morning.

Metrolinx appears to have finished most of the grubbing of the line up to the diamond. Happily, many of the larger trees especially those lining the park area were spared, although there will eventually have to be overhanging limbs trimmed. The next major task will be to grade the diversion track which iirc will run on the far east side of the corridor.

As always I was impressed by just what a vibrant district this has become, even with a pandemic going on. It wasn't always so....it was once a whole lot grittier. I hope the overpass can be built, and the site remediated, without losing the liveability.
20200517 CP 3063 Davenport a.jpg
20200517 Wallace Crossing.jpg
20200517 VIA 11 Davenport b.jpg

- Paul

I figured that with it was safe to venture out (in mask, and alone) to see what's happening around the diamond. Sure enough, there were people walking and cycling all over. Here are a couple pictures from this morning.

Metrolinx appears to have finished most of the grubbing of the line up to the diamond. Happily, many of the larger trees especially those lining the park area were spared, although there will eventually have to be overhanging limbs trimmed. The next major task will be to grade the diversion track which iirc will run on the far east side of the corridor.

As always I was impressed by just what a vibrant district this has become, even with a pandemic going on. It wasn't always so....it was once a whole lot grittier. I hope the overpass can be built, and the site remediated, without losing the liveability.

- Paul

Thanks for dropping by the neighbourhood. Nice photos, especially the telephoto shot of the CP train crossing the diamond.

Do you post on Flickr at all? In case you do, there's a Junction Triangle group there: https://www.flickr.com/groups/junctiontriangle/pool

-Vic

^As reported in the VIA Rail thread. VIA is shuffling equipment around the country to do inspections and repair work while the fleet is inactive. This was an equipment move to western Canada. There have been two westbound moves and one eastbound move in/out of Toronto the past two weeks. While VIA can shuffle cars to Montreal on their scheduled trains to Montreal, west of Toronto they don’t have the Canadian right now, so these equipment moves are being run. I do suspect this is destined to be a Churchill trainset, yes.
On paper, the HEP-1 fleet is based in Vancouver, and the VMC does a lot of heavy maintenance. We in the east sometimes forget that Winnipeg and Vancouver are important maintenance bases for VIA.

The interesting thing about this particular photo is that it may have been the last opportunity to document a VIA train in Davenport’s “heritage” elements. By the time the Canadian resumes service, the construction will have changed the scene considerably.

- Paul

Back