Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I'm going to go on a bit of a tangent here, but.....

Are underpasses actually any less safe than overpasses? Sure, the perception is there, and perhaps that perception is everything, but......is there any scientific research to indicate that they are less safe?

Dan
Up until about a year ago (probably more) the underpass at Guelph Central was always unlocked. Being downtown and right across from a rooming house the area became a very popular spot for homeless and drug addicts. One morning I used the tunnel and called for the elevator- only for a homeless person to be passed out drunk sleeping in it. This was 6:30. I complained. Next time I used it I noticed that the security guard (employed by the city (there’s serious drug use in the stations bathrooms)) now locks the tunnel entrances (owned by Metrolinx) outside of rush hours times. So those taking the mid day train late now SOL.
If it was an hypothetical overpass- those issues wouldn’t exist as the public could see into the overpass.

I agree with the city/Metrolinx’s decision on this one. I’ve seen disarmed needles and “smoke meth everyday” graffiti. Traffic is infrequent enough for people to hang out and do bad things.

With an overpass, you can often see if there's someone up there from the street and on the other side before you cross. With an underpass, you don't necessarily know until you've descended down the stairs. There's less visibility.

Does anyone have a drawing set for this? Something from an EA or other such offering? I've got most of the landscaping / beautification / community consultation documents from GH3 and Metrolinx but I can't seem to locate a technical drawing set in my files.

^ Just looked at it and it I wonder if there have been some minor changes since this set. For example, isn't there now going to be a grate walkway between the tracks instead of an open void?

1591206744108.png

Below is what was shown on PDF page 17 in this November 2019 deck. It also looks like the ends on either side of the track have a slightly difference shape (comparison below).

1591206852724.png

1591207104187.png

^ Just looked at it and it I wonder if there have been some minor changes since this set. For example, isn't there now going to be a grate walkway between the tracks instead of an open void?

View attachment 249310

Below is what was shown on PDF page 17 in this November 2019 deck. It also looks like the ends on either side of the track have a slightly difference shape (comparison below).

View attachment 249311

View attachment 249312

Wonder how it will look in 50+ years, with weeds growing because of the lack of landscaping, with rust stains and crumbling concrete because it is cheaper to defer, defer, and defer maintenance, and without mature trees because it they were blown down by windstorms and not replaced.

View attachment 249311

Honestly .. it looks like they have sloped the tracks so all water runs off into the middle. If that is the case - its going to be fun walking under that in heavy rain.

Honestly .. it looks like they have sloped the tracks so all water runs off into the middle. If that is the case - its going to be fun walking under that in heavy rain.

They likely be using dry wells to catch the run off to allow them to enter the water table and slowly enter the storm sewers.

^ I wonder if it's slower than maybe a normal building site because there are still GO trains running and there are noise restrictions? Maybe I confined space as well? Just some speculation on my part.

Back