Toronto Glasshouse Lofts | ?m | 12s | Glass House Development | Karl Fischer

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
Walked by there at lunch today. There were dozens of appliances lining the sidewalk and lots of workers loading them into the building.

This wall treatment seems to be a 59 Development trademark. I saw a sign on the site saying they are the project managers. The south face of 533 Richmond, which they developed, also has a jumbo concrete block appearance, even thought the architect (Core) is different.

Of course its more ironic for a building branded as Glasshouse.

Last edited:
...it's undoubtedly going to be covered up as soon as the auto shop there gets the right offer from a developer.

I think that the car place can wait a long time. They nominally had some cars for "sale"--at least two of them (a beige Mercedes E-class and a Caddy Catera) languished on the lot from late 2006 until early 2009.

Glasshouse

Attachments

• 708225.jpg
    708225.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 435
Fingers crossed they aren't done with the installation of the accent pieces and plan to paint the whole wall.

Words cannot express how much I hate this clumsy, cheap, soul-destroying building. The form itself is good enough but perhaps The Mullionhouse might have been a more accurate name?

so where is this info on the foundation of parking lot being old. i read through, but don't see it anywhere.

The Glasshouse went through a couple iterations, including "Jade Lofts". Construction started in the early 1990s and stalled around 1993-4, and it was a mini stump thereafter. Its timeline from stump to completion roughly follows Bay Adelaide Centre and a few other lots downtown that were victims of the early 1990s property bubble and recession.

I find the building to look just fine. The ventilation grates leave something to be desired, IMO.

Even if you don't like the finishes, you must agree that the scaling of the building (stepbacks after the 5th storey) is sympathetic to its surroundings, which isn't always the case with new developments in historic locales.

The Glasshouse went through a couple iterations, including "Jade Lofts". Construction started in the early 1990s and stalled around 1993-4, and it was a mini stump thereafter. Its timeline from stump to completion roughly follows Bay Adelaide Centre and a few other lots downtown that were victims of the early 1990s property bubble

They finished it to ground level at that time and then left it empty until they restarted last year.

I hate it when they don't paint the undersides of balconies. The concrete looks cold, uninviting and dirty! Imagine what that'll look like in 10 years?

Even if you don't like the finishes, you must agree that the scaling of the building (stepbacks after the 5th storey) is sympathetic to its surroundings, which isn't always the case with new developments in historic locales.

The only problem is that the cladding of the side walls really cheapens the surroundings because it looks like an afterthought.

Back