Toronto Glasshouse Lofts | ?m | 12s | Glass House Development | Karl Fischer

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
I would say more of an incomplete job than afterthought, but I do agree with you in the cheapening of the surroundings. A mural, or heck, even ads will do, although the cladding strips down the middle would make those possibilities look bad.

The side walls are a disaster. They scream 'we could not care less'. They show neither a preemptive attempt at quality control (accepting only blocks of a consistent tone) nor an ensuing attempt to create a pleasing pattern with what turned out to be mismatched blocks, nor any attempt to ameliorate the bungle by covering it up with a coating of paint or cladding. For a small developer - 59 management - that likes to see itself as leading edge - it's a stain on their reputation.

Not sure why you would cover cladding with cladding however, it's in dire need of paint.

I wouldn't mind one of those Heineken or Carlsberg ads which recreates a football field on the wall. That said though, Rami would probably deem it too exciting and have it taken down so that the beautiful greyness can really shine through.

I have noticed that some of the local artists have 'signed off' on this one (MANR or CAUSR I believe), so I guess that's a start.

Not sure why you would cover cladding with cladding however, it's in dire need of paint.

Who said anything about putting cladding over cladding?

IMG_july-08-09-0004.jpg
edithbc.jpg

The image on the right is my edit.

Why on earth any architect would put that silly strip of faux-window cladding down the MIDDLE of the side walls of this building makes me scratch my head. It is the most distracting piece of cladding, and takes your eyes off the front facade of the building, which is where people should be looking. Oi...

Who said anything about putting cladding over cladding?

Umm, you did.

"...nor any attempt to ameliorate the bungle by covering it up with a coating of paint or cladding."

C'mon Maestro. Interchange is clearly indicating that he thought those blocks would be a sort of undercoat for the real cladding system which would then have been placed on top. This has gone on far too long.

Bad building. Mistake for Toronto. Contractors need to adhere to higher standards. Case closed.

C'mon Maestro. Interchange is clearly indicating that he thought those blocks would be a sort of undercoat for the real cladding system which would then have been placed on top. This has gone on far too long.

Bad building. Mistake for Toronto. Contractors need to adhere to higher standards. Case closed.

Absolutely. The concrete block walls are an eyesore, in an area that needed a good shot of Vizene and they revulse me every day I walk past them but life must go on and I will avert my eyes. Time to move on.

C'mon Maestro. Interchange is clearly indicating that he thought those blocks would be a sort of undercoat for the real cladding system which would then have been placed on top. This has gone on far too long..

The fact still remains these composite panels are the "real cladding" and should be considered as such. (and also to expect more of them in the future).

Funny that you mention, "this has gone on far too long" as a contributor to the ongoing green whine fest that is the Corus thread. Well, at least your contributions as of late offer dialogue and insight rather than posting pictures of totally unrelated projects to be followed by bitching how much greener the grass is.

Back