Toronto Glasshouse Lofts | ?m | 12s | Glass House Development | Karl Fischer

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
From Christopher Hume in today's Star.
Condo Critic

The Glasshouse Lofts, 127 Queen St. E.: There’s something abrupt, almost unfinished, about this lowrise condo. It is one of those single-facade structures that faces the street and needs to be part of a row of similar structures. Presumably something will eventually appear to the east where the exterior wall looks temporary.

The west is more problematic; unless the stately masonry piles from the late 1800s disappear, which would be criminal, 127 will appear forever in need of completion. At the same time, the set-backs above the fifth floor make sense; the building is taller than it looks.

Though it pays little attention to its neighbours, the fact that it’s all glass saves it from being obnoxious. Interestingly, though the building feels too big for the site, that has nothing to do with height; rather it’s because the lower five storeys look over the surrounding structures, If the podium top had lined up with the building directly west, all else would have been forgiven.

GRADE: B

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Email us at condos@thestar.ca

26 June 2010: B is for blank wall, F is for Football jersey?

dsc09883.jpg

dsc09884p.jpg

I'm assuming that eventually something is going to be built beside the building thus the blank wall?

I'm assuming that eventually something is going to be built beside the building thus the blank wall?

No doubt, as said by Christopher Hume several posts up, on the east side (on Jarvis) someone will sooner or late build something but on the west side there is a historic row and I think the 'disguised concrete-block wall' will remain there for years, or 'ever'. It's not a bad building if you don't look at the east and west walls. Too bad!

Last edited:
No doubt, as said by Christopher Hume several posts up, on the east side (on Jarvis) someone will sooner or late build something but on the west side there is a historic row and I think the 'disguised concret-block wall' will remain there for years, or 'ever'. It's not a bad building if you don't look at the east and west walls. Too bad!

visually it make work on the outside, but the floorplans are terrible... long and very narrow bowling alleys

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21
Boy!!, that east wall is sure falling apart. It was not that bad for the first blow over a year ago, but look at all the places where they happen now.
5745068183_602b7ae6cb_b.jpg

5745069347_692984d560_b.jpg

5745071475_5e8aa4a475_b.jpg

5745075291_f1ae674831_b.jpg

I can't quite tell, what's at the base ? Which looks decent overall.

I can't quite tell, what's at the base ? Which looks decent overall.

Look at the west wall photo, then look at the east one and you can see the difference from top to bottom. If you go back to 2009-2010 photos, you will see the east wall was not that bad back then.

Not sure why the east wall having all these problems.

Should or will now take some close up shots when I get down there again

Does anybody know what is going on with that east wall? Is this an issue with materials used or is it bad workmanship? Who would likely be responsible for this (i.e. builder/architect/developer/structural engineer)?

Developer could have covered that wall up with some kind of cladding but they opted to just paint the cinder blocks. This is where being cheap comes back to bite you.

Back