Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

Thanks for the pics PE. I was thinking they might have used the same materials that MLS used for their black cladding onthe podium, but a different colour here. That being said, the precast here does look quite nice.

Is it possible the concrete will have a finish to it or be covered?

To be clear, the concrete is being covered with precast concrete tiles, like in ProjectEnd's first pic on the previous page. The visible concrete in the other two pics (which show off the new glass installation) will not remain exposed.

I understand that the Bell Lightbox (the podium) and the Festival Tower itself are considered two separate projects by the developer and the City. Is there any word on when the Festival Tower portion will be started, or are we perhaps looking at many years with only the Lightbox portion?

I understand that the Bell Lightbox (the podium) and the Festival Tower itself are considered two separate projects by the developer and the City. Is there any word on when the Festival Tower portion will be started, or are we perhaps looking at many years with only the Lightbox portion?

They are the same building. The tower is already under construction.

With 600 posts under your belt, are you doubting that the condo portion is not a go? :confused:

What I was saying is that the Bell Lightbox portion was never in doubt, with all the grants and donations it got. It was going to be built, regardless of what happened with the Festival Tower. But I have never heard anything about sales for the Tower portion. I will rephrase my original question to ask what percentage of the planned units have been sold, and if enough units have been sold to allow for the Tower portion to go ahead, or if it will be capped off, like Success II was.

With 600 posts under your belt, are you doubting that the condo portion is not a go? :confused:

He's asking a legitimate question. They could very well complete Lightbox and build the tower years later, like they did with the 250 Yonge tower at the Eaton Centre, which wasn't built until the early '90s.

He's asking a legitimate question. They could very well complete Lightbox and build the tower years later, like they did with the 250 Yonge tower at the Eaton Centre, which wasn't built until the early '90s.

This being a iconic building in a great location, and also considering that sales for the condos were done through-out the last couple of years when the economy was good, you would think that the condo tower was a go.

It’s also interesting to hear this now of the Lightbox, because just like the L-Tower and others in the past that have had to find money from a different source.
It has usually been the public/government grants and donations that have created the biggest snags regarding developments going on hold and getting built or not, and not so much the private sector, which in many cases is condo sales.

Last edited:
View from Bay Adelaide Centre, as posted by Spectator77 at SSC...

38rb0q7e800wjrloxhg.jpg

Dare I say, The Hyatt almost dwarfs the Bell Lightbox site in that shot

That neat shot shows the podiums ascending from John to Spadina (beginning with the Princess of Wales theatre). I hadn't noticed that before.

I think Charlie's podium will be a few stories lower than the Hudson's and Hyatt's, though. It's also broken by the MEC building :/

Last edited:

Back