Toronto Exhibit Residences | 99.97m | 32s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

The McDonalds located at this site is really the ONLY mcdonalds I will eat in the city willingly. I understand its not a five star restaurant but truthfully I have always found that this Mcdonalds location doesnt have the traditional mcdonalds crowd. More UofT students, More tourists, more families visiting the ROM or whatever..

I agree...also perfect location to be the 1st Mickey D's to tap beer here in Toronto.:cool:

I wish Harveys could just stay at both Union and 1 Bloor.. these are the two iconic Harveys locations unless you like hookers and then theres the Jarvis Harveys...
Maybe Harveys will break up as a franchise and become a family business with just a few locations... BTW the combo swiss chalet and harveys locations are the best because can get swiss chalet fries... MMMM..

Harveys is slowly closing many of its fast food joints, 5-7 years from now when 1 Bloor is finally completed...Harveys may not even be around.

GEeeee!!! in the last week I have seen 3 new location getting ready to open. One at Bathurst and St Clair, one on Eglinton, east of Yonge and forgot where the 3rd one was.

Bring back one to One Bloor as well Union Station. To bad we cannot get the one at One Bedford back. Take a Harveys over MD any day.

I'm no fan of McDonalds and I know I'll get shredded for this comment, but have you ever been to New York?

The irony of your comment shouldn't be overlooked. That is exactly the point. Luxury residences in Manhattan would not permit a fast food chain in the lobby. You don't see any retail on 5th Avenue on the UES let alone a Micky D's. Even a little further east on Madison Avenue it's primarily ultra-luxury retailers.

This is a prima facie deal killer in my opinion.

The irony of your comment shouldn't be overlooked. That is exactly the point. Luxury residences in Manhattan would not permit a fast food chain in the lobby. You don't see any retail on 5th Avenue on the UES let alone a Micky D's. Even a little further east on Madison Avenue it's primarily ultra-luxury retailers.

Fully agreed. I would not be dropping this kind of money if I knew a McDonalds would be in the lobby.

McDonalds can't afford 5th Avenue. Since it owned the land here it was able to make it a condition of the sale that it could stay here. Big difference.

McDonalds can't afford 5th Avenue. Since it owned the land here it was able to make it a condition of the sale that it could stay here. Big difference.

I fully expect a big fight with the owners of Exhibit and McDonalds if they find out it will be moving back into the ground floor.

I don't think any of us here would drop close to and over a million dollars only to smell the fryer all day and all night. I lived above a restaurant in Madrid and trust me, the smell of the food permeates everywhere. There's little that can be done.

I fully expect a big fight with the owners of Exhibit and McDonalds if they find out it will be moving back into the ground floor.

I don't think any of us here would drop close to and over a million dollars only to smell the fryer all day and all night. I lived above a restaurant in Madrid and trust me, the smell of the food permeates everywhere. There's little that can be done.

In my opinion the City should have put tight zoning restrictions on any retail along Bloor on this little strip from Avenue to Bedford. Think of how much more desirable this strip would be to have no retail just a beautifully tree-lined boulevard, across the ROM and Telus Centre, uninterrupted by the flow of commercial traffic. Just this little strip, not east or west, doormen greeting you on the boulevard, just like 5th Avenue across from Central Park. It would be a welcome respite from the commercial traffic for all to appreciate.

Wouldn't that have been a special spot for residents and pedestrians alike?

Last edited:

If McDonald's has a deal to relocate to the base of the building, as has been reported, then it would be in the purchase agreement. If the owners still didn't know, it's their fault. Besides, is McDonald's really any different than the hundreds of other restaurants located on the ground floor of condos and apartment buildings across the City? I would imagine there would be a top-of-the-line ventilation system installed to ensure the operations of the restaurant does not impact the residential above.

The Gramercy Starck condo in New York has a McD's on the ground floor:
2008_4_mcstarck.jpg

This is the condo's lobby just next to it:
starck-lobby.jpg

a pretty stark contrast!

Not sure if you are familiar with Manhattan or not, but 23rd and 1st is not a very desirable area. 23rd in itself is a major thoroughfare, roughly equivalent to say Dundas Street East perhaps, so the existence of a McD's here is more comparable to a Tim Horton's in Regent Park or perhaps the site of Pace Condos than a McD's at Avenue Road & Bloor.

The Starck brand is hardly synonymous with luxury anymore. It's a label like many others.

Back