Toronto Exhibit Residences | 99.97m | 32s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

There was another thread that went over all of the machinations behind this site or else a series of articles in the Star about a year to a year and a half ago.

I do not intend to go looking, but others probably will remember this. I was by the site on the weekend (have not been walking along this part of Bloor for a long time). Was struck by the match of the Exhibit design to the Crystal, but I suppose there is some intention to this.

If I am repeating old news, sorry for that in advance.

Interesting to see how the building's aesthetics will be with a McDonalds on the main floor.

Though still average and very "chain like", McDonald's new corporate design is among the least offensive of the major NA fast food restaurants. I daresay some of them look decent when compared to their often bleak suburban surroundings. But still, I see how the Golden Arches might persuade the ground level judgement of a high-end condo.

Last edited:
I do agree with you. I'm actually very surprised with the quality of the renovations of McDonalds.
Even driving in scarborough to not some desirable areas--they seem to be the best designed ones.

My guess with the McDonalds on the Main floor. There will be no signage of a big "m" over the facade. I see maybe a moderate sized "McDonalds" Sign just on top of the window

My guess with the McDonalds on the Main floor. There will be no signage of a big "m" over the facade. I see maybe a moderate sized "McDonalds" Sign just on top of the window

I think too much has been made about a McDonalds not jiving with a high-end condo. One should think less of the tacky suburban joints and more of McDonalds like this one in Vienna which doesn't seem to bring down the aesthetics of an impressive luxury building.

I went into the Exhibit sales office to ask specifically about McDonald's going in on the ground floor but couldn't get a definitive answer. The girl said that McDonald's had 'priority' when it came to the retail spaces because they sold the property to the developer.

I would love to have the smell of mcdonalds coming up to my 2 million dollar condo!

I'm no fan of McDonalds and I know I'll get shredded for this comment, but have you ever been to New York?

It seems unavoidable that fast food joints will appear in the retail spaces of high-end condos in dense, urban areas. It's really not a prestige issue, but practically speaking, placement of ventilation ducts, balconies, and windows has to be done with care. Plus, there are probably technological solutions to minimizing the smell of fast food preparation, which may not be applied in less densely populated places where the smell is essentially free advertising.

These examples demonstrate to me that it is common, not that it aesthetically is good or desirable. A potential McDonald's located below a luxury condo would give me pause in any decision on purchase; beyond aesthetics, it would likely be crowded with fast food junkies...I'm assuming there would be no drive-thru. :p

These examples demonstrate to me that it is common, not that it aesthetically is good or desirable. A potential McDonald's located below a luxury condo would give me pause in any decision on purchase; beyond aesthetics, it would likely be crowded with fast food junkies...I'm assuming there would be no drive-thru. :p

Except for the one in Lisbon, those examples suggest that McDonald's can have more restrained storefronts and fit into prominent buildings like a clothing chain. Contrast it to tacky trash like this fast food outlet on Queen West that should have never been built. If the location is impressive and if smell issues can be mitigated, then it shouldn't be a problem for buyers.

Last edited:

The McDonalds located at this site is really the ONLY mcdonalds I will eat in the city willingly. I understand its not a five star restaurant but truthfully I have always found that this Mcdonalds location doesnt have the traditional mcdonalds crowd. More UofT students, More tourists, more families visiting the ROM or whatever.. Im just saying that I wouldnt mind these type of people eating undernieth me. My parents live in a upscale condo in ottawa 700 sussex and they want to only have quality retail underneith. They have done a good job with about half their retail but the other half keeps turning over. I would prefer a mcdonalds sign then a for lease sign every few months..

Back