News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 825     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

I was down there about a week ago. I think they were trying to drive customers out with the stench of the fountain near the HMV escalators. It was in desperate need of some chlorine.

Mall fountains always have a weird smell to them. Brings back a lot of memories of visits to Woodbine Centre when my father taught at Humber College.

It's funny how little mall food courts have changed over the ages. I recently watched a Blu-Ray copy of Tarentino's "Jackie Brown". From 1995 (prob. shot in '94) and since it's in HD, everything is really clear... during the 15min. scene in the L.A. Mall food court you can really make out the peripheral details like the shops in the food court etc... (I wonder if it says something that I was more interested in those than the actual movie, LOL!)

But really, it looked like if someone went and shot a flick in the "new" Fairview Mall food court just yesterday. Other than people's clothing and hairstyles, lack of iPod headphones in anyone's ears, it looks like a food court from "today". Absolutely no architectural innovation IMO.

Probably reflects something about malls in general, as a retail genre that's been in 20-year entropy--or even a whole lot about traditional North American mass pop culture. Any subsequent evolution has been either trashy deevolution, or "ethnic"...

This is unfortunate, as I kind of liked stopping there for a bite every now and then. I almost never ate at the south food court - the low ceiling and frequent unavailability of a table really turned me off.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone remember if there used to be a second fountain in the centre and/or where the old PJs Pet Store was located? I saw some old pics and was trying to reconcile them with what's now on that lower level.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone remember if there used to be a second fountain in the centre and/or where the old PJs Pet Store was located? I saw some old pics and was trying to reconcile them with what's now on that lower level.

PJ's was part of the old Eaton's store and was tucked away beside the ground floor west exit which is beside the bank of elevators. The space - which features a round window - is vacant today. As for a second fountain I seem to recall a waterfall fountain in the Northern extension of the Mall which was redeveloped into the H&M Store

Last edited:
Toronto Eaton Centre Retail

Potential new retail: what happened to the Edge 102 studio? I don't listen to the station anymore, but they're no longer at Yonge and Shuter. Any news?

The Edge has been broadcasting out of the Corus building on Sugar Beach for awhile. It's pretty sad during the winter when it's deserted down there (at least until development catches up), but it'll be awesome in the summer if they host a few live shows down there

I wish Forever21 had an opening date posted in their Eaton Centre location. I guess it's still a while off, though, since their old store looks like it's fully up and running. Maybe a couple months?

Fruits & Passion has re-opened in the Eaton Centre after disappearing for a year or so. Now I don't have to get lost in the PATH by to get my hand soaps.

Back