News   Jun 20, 2024
 416     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 610     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

I could walk to Barrie faster then taking three buses and two subways to get to TEC from Markham. Driving takes me 30 mins tops on an avg Saturday afternoon with medium traffic on the DVP.

Um, which two subways?

Maybe that's the problem, they're taking two subways instead of just getting on at Finch and going to Dundas on one subway.

He said Markham, not Richmond Hill. For all we know he could live at like 48 and Elgin Mills. And really, even from Markham/Steeles you'd almost be better to take a bus down to STC, SRT to Kennedy, Kennedy to Yonge, and Yonge to Dundas, no?

If the Eaton's brand were to be sold to foreigners, I'd much rather have it go to a European or Asian company. At least they really know how to run a department store. Brandon's point about just re-branding the Sears stores in Canada makes a lot of sense. It seems to me to be a much better-perceived brand, even after all these years. Sears always seemed a little dank for things like clothes. Fine for a garage door opener or riding lawn mower.

In my limited experience, the Bay actually seems to have some halfway decent brands, at least in their downtown store. On the other hand, the presentation is pretty dismal. It's just white paint and fluorescent light with stuff strewn around on creaking racks. I was just in the Ottawa store and it was absolutely dilapidated. It's pretty sad, really. I hear that they've done a good job of renovating some of their other places. When you have mall stores going to massive lengths to have eye-catching displays, it's pretty hard to compete.

He said Markham, not Richmond Hill. For all we know he could live at like 48 and Elgin Mills. And really, even from Markham/Steeles you'd almost be better to take a bus down to STC, SRT to Kennedy, Kennedy to Yonge, and Yonge to Dundas, no?
Not when I lived there, but that was when Markham was Markham, back in the stone ages.

Sears always seemed a little dank for things like clothes.

Not to mention the smell! Whatever they're using to preserve their clothes, they need to halve the dose.

In my limited experience, the Bay actually seems to have some halfway decent brands, at least in their downtown store. On the other hand, the presentation is pretty dismal. It's just white paint and fluorescent light with stuff strewn around on creaking racks. I was just in the Ottawa store and it was absolutely dilapidated. It's pretty sad, really. I hear that they've done a good job of renovating some of their other places. When you have mall stores going to massive lengths to have eye-catching displays, it's pretty hard to compete.

The only half-decent Bay store interior I've seen in recent years is rebuilt the store at Conestoga Mall in Waterloo. Only problem is they built out instead of up, so the whole thing feels like an airplane hanger. If they could take some of the Waterloo Bay's design principles and applied them to the Queen and Yonge store, the place would be a winner.

The Bay needs a huge makeover at all of their stores to get rid of the crumbling renovations made in the 1990s. A branding makeover wouldn't hurt either; maybe they could try the heritage angle and rename it Hudson's Bay Company instead of calling it The Bay.

And the Eatons and Simpsons should not be dismissed as fossils from the past. Both are still present in people's memories, even the young. Don't forget, Today's Special wasn't set in The Bay ;)

Um, which two subways?

Oh, and I didn't appreciate your post in general. Making it as if I'm some idiot that doesn't know where he lives, and doesn't know how to get where he's going via public transportation. I live in suburbia and I work DT every day of the week. I rely on public transportation to get me to work every day. I've investigated every route imaginable. Thanks.

While it is true that Eatons lives on in many of our memories, for anyone who can remember as far back as the '70s those memories are of a store in steady, sad decline. The final end was a mercy killing. As for a resurrection - why bother?

They tried, you have to give them that. I think it would have had more of an impact now, after Mad Men made the early 60s popular again.

Bottom floor of the Eaton Centre redevelopment?

I noticed just north of the food court (the one under Sears) all the retailers have moved or are moving. Some kind of redevelopment about to go on in that area?

Please see this post in the Mall retail thread:

Bayer

I rent office space in the Eaton Centre, and we were just informed of the specifics of their redevelopment project.

- Renovation and expansion of the North food court, which will be the main food area.
- Washroom expansion and renovation.
- Complete floor replacement.
- Hand rails replaced with glass and stainless steel.
- New retail lobby entrance at the 250 Yonge tower.
- Recladding of escalators (?) and elevators.
- New entrance doors
- Enhanced lighting
- Removal of ficus trees :-( but new "planting program"
- South food court will become a large Richtree restaurant
- A "light sculpture" will be suspended from the Galleria roof

The project is slated to start on July 1 and be finished in late 2012. Cost: $120 million.

More details in the coming weeks, apparently.

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?6050-New-Mall-Retail-(Eaton-Centre-Yorkdale-etc-)

AoD

Last edited:
Eaton Centre north food court is closing

Last day for the Eaton Centre north food court is this Wednesday. So the London Fish and Chips owner tells me. Most of the retail at this level have already moved or are moving out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back