News   Apr 25, 2024
 272     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 589     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

Thomas Sabo seems to have possibly re-opened. It had been sitting for weeks with a "Sorry, we've closed" sign stuck on the door but all the stock remained inside. Today, the lights were on and the doors were open. There were a couple of staff members behind the counter. Has it been rescued from bankruptcy?

A "Ray-Ban Store" will be opening on Level 2 between Laline and Johnston & Murphy. Is there really a need for yet another Luxottica-owned eyewear store in this mall?

Richtree Natural Market has suddenly, permanently closed as of today.

Not surprised because Richtree is a dying business. They closed at College Park years ago and they are not faring well elsewhere.

They were meant to be a marche grande style restaurant with proper food. It is a 1980s concept that does not work well now.

Not surprised because Richtree is a dying business. They closed at College Park years ago and they are not faring well elsewhere.

They were meant to be a marche grande style restaurant with proper food. It is a 1980s concept that does not work well now.

Though the Marche Movenpick restaurants are still alive.

In the era where fancy food halls are en vogue, I’m surprised they couldn’t just adjust their model.

More info on the Reddit thread:

---

Anyways, went there once and wasn't impressed by the food nor the location - it's like a more claustrophobic version of the North food court with worse choices. In any case, the coming COVID dip probably won't be kind even if it remains open.

AoD

The Eaton Centre this afternoon is the quietest I’ve seen it on a weekday since September 11, 2001

Several stores and restaurants, including Apple, Nike, Mercatto, Lululemon, and even A&F were closed. But Roots, Indigo, Nordstrom, and most others were open.

But it was good to see most take calls for social distancing seriously.

The old Apple Store location is definitely becoming a Canada Goose store.

C81AAA77-AF3F-469A-9503-FE4DA2C88035.jpeg
0ADE646C-4637-4511-A658-232B4147360D.jpeg
8D0B0494-983D-4EC6-9918-77860C7BDA6F.jpeg
7497457E-C843-4D3A-A722-130B46AD607E.jpeg
47F32FB1-DFCF-40AB-A656-A2A354B08D00.jpeg
212085E9-3F05-4015-BC8F-24D2F77D7592.jpeg

I give it the next day or two. And before they do, they should take away those stupid benches begging people to violate distancing.

AoD

Apple, Lush, Lululemon, Abercrombie, Aesop, Browns Shoes, B2, Mendocino, Aritizia, TNA and Wilfred are all already closed for the time being. Freedom Mobile, Telus (kiosks and sub-brand kiosks), The Body Shop, Bath & Body Works and Saje just announced closures as of tomorrow. UNIQLO in the States just announced closure of all their stores, which will mean a similar announcement will probably come from the Canadian branch fairly soon. The Bay has reduced their hours from 12PM to 6PM. At the rate things are going, I don't think there will be many stores open by the end of this week.
Edit: Add Sephora to the list of stores closing as of tomorrow.

Last edited:
Apple, Lush, Lululemon, Abercrombie, Aesop, Browns Shoes, B2, Mendocino, Aritizia, TNA and Wilfred are all already closed for the time being. Freedom Mobile, Telus (kiosks and sub-brand kiosks), The Body Shop, Bath & Body Works and Saje just announced closures as of tomorrow. UNIQLO in the States just announced closure of all their stores, which will mean a similar announcement will probably come from the Canadian branch fairly soon. The Bay has reduced their hours from 12PM to 6PM. At the rate things are going, I don't think there will be many stores open by the end of this week.

I think Nordstrom is closing for two weeks as well.

AoD

I could see Canadian Tire remaining open (as they sell cleaning and household supplies) but not much else. There are other nearby SDM locations, so the Eaton Centre location can close. There are no restaurants that I'm aware of without street access that will rely on take-out and delivery orders. The building itself will still have to remain open, at least south of Nordstrom, as part of its legal agreement in exchange for closing down Albert and Trinity Square to Yonge Street.

Back