News   Apr 24, 2024
 725     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 953     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 565     0 

Toronto Eaton Centre

Surprisingly, I did get a response (albeit, not a good one)...
"No longer available"... Tossed in the garbage (unlikely)? Returned to UVA? Grabbed by a senior executive for their mansion? I guess we'll never know! It reminds me of a Sorel Etrog sculpture that was inside the Yonge-Eglinton Centre mall for years and then vanished without a trace.

"No longer available"... Tossed in the garbage (unlikely)? Returned to UVA? Grabbed by a senior executive for their mansion? I guess we'll never know! It reminds me of a Sorel Etrog sculpture that was inside the Yonge-Eglinton Centre mall for years and then vanished without a trace.

Was it ever commissioned in the first place?

AoD

Surprisingly, I did get a response (albeit, not a good one)...

Good riddance. Regardless of the fact that it never worked, it got in the way of the Eaton Centre’s iconic galleria ceiling.

That said, while I wouldn’t want them to “modernize” it like they did the white railings, that roof is in need of some real TLC. Replacing the glass pains and restoring the mullions is long overdue.

Good riddance. Regardless of the fact that it never worked, it got in the way of the Eaton Centre’s iconic galleria ceiling.

That said, while I wouldn’t want them to “modernize” it like they did the white railings, that roof is in need of some real TLC. Replacing the glass pains and restoring the mullions is long overdue.

I doubt they will replace the glass in the near future. It is not a cheap endeavor and would likely mean the mall would have to close (in sections) to do the work. Given the high amount of traffic it would be an expensive project.

That being said the only way I can see them replacing the glass would be if they had a catastrophic skylight failure.

I doubt they will replace the glass in the near future. It is not a cheap endeavor and would likely mean the mall would have to close (in sections) to do the work. Given the high amount of traffic it would be an expensive project.

That being said the only way I can see them replacing the glass would be if they had a catastrophic skylight failure.

The mall wouldnt have to close, not even in sections. They’ve done plenty of overhead work while keeping the mall open over the last decade. They just had a moving stage and/or scaffolding isolating the construction work from the fully functioning mall below.

They are also installing some BMO ATMs by the escalators near the Dundas street entrance

Back