Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Do we have a timeline on the south food court being ready? It's been under construction for quite some time. Given that hoarding is gradually coming down around there, can we expect the new Marché to open soon?

The South Foodcourt isn't expected to be renovated until the North Foodcourt is re-opened. The hoarding was for the railings. The North Foodcourt I believe is slated to be re-open Fall 2011.

Thinking about it now I know why the idea of replacing the railings seems like a horrible idea to me.

Replacing the vertical bars with glass panes is going to open up the space, except it's already a wide open space and it doesn't need that at all. In fact it might make it feel worse and more intimidating. At least the bars hold you in and make you feel comfortable. Not only that but they reflect so many other features all over the space on the roof and the exposed pillars.

Now that there is a section where the replacement has been completed, on the top floor near the bridge to The Bay, I do feel strangely uncomfortable standing by the railings and looking down. They look good, but they are also quite generic (I've seen several versions of that type of railing in the past couple of weeks) and they don't seem to have anything to do with the overall design of the centre. Frankly I don't see the point of such an expense.

I think the stainless steel is quite sleek. It and the glass will make up the new overall language of the Eaton Centre. Once it's done, I think it'll all fit in together.

Last edited:
But, on behalf of "the new overall language", then what? Replacing the galleria roof with a "cleaner" design, as some have suggested in the past in UT?

MetroMan: you seriously need some remedial lessons in 70s architectural heritage. (And if anything, the summer's Great Ontario Place Crisis should be all the more reason to pay deeper respect to the 70s Zeidler-tech vocabulary.)

In general, I get the impression that the Eaton Centre is undergoing a renovation "death by a thousand cuts" - rather like Royal Bank Plaza has over the years - with each tinkering degrading the original design with muddier and muddier additions and subtractions. A bold, comprehensive and effective rethink would have been better than this downward spiral.

In general, I get the impression that the Eaton Centre is undergoing a renovation "death by a thousand cuts" - rather like Royal Bank Plaza has over the years - with each tinkering degrading the original design with muddier and muddier additions and subtractions. A bold, comprehensive and effective rethink would have been better than this downward spiral.

I agree about the Eaton Centre.
I think the old railings were better at least they appeared clean. Today I saw the new ones for the first time, the glass is a mess of smudges as are the stainless railings. Just a maintenance nightmare. If it Ain't broke don't fix it.

eaton1.jpg

eaton2.jpg

How very dull. Also, those plastic supports for the glass panes look pretty clunky and cheap. Hopefully they'll be applying some sort of finishings.

Back