Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

imo - i find it boring... actually I try not look at it when ever I have to walk through the centre. I'm just not impressed.

I get annoyed at the throngs of people always gathered around it waiting for the giant squirt. Also it's in dire need of maintenance... the water pressure seems to be low on some of the pipes so the water never quite makes over the edge and into the bowl.

It's rather the concept of mall as tourist attraction that is lame... Everywhere you go it all looks pretty much the same. I was in Paris a couple of years ago, and there was a L'Occitane on a street corner, a Mango across from it and, a block or two away, a Zara with exactly the same window display as the one in the Eaton Centre.

It's rather the concept of mall as tourist attraction that is lame... Everywhere you go it all looks pretty much the same. I was in Paris a couple of years ago, and there was a L'Occitane on a street corner, a Mango across from it and, a block or two away, a Zara with exactly the same window display as the one in the Eaton Centre.

I think international retailers like that would be pleased to hear you say that the window display was exactly the same as at Eaton Centre. They want consistency, so you get the same experience regardless of which store in the world you go to. I don't think that's a bad thing.

You're right, consistency can be desirable, but it can also be detrimental if consumer behaviour varies according to the location. What I meant was that stores and malls aren't very compelling as tourist attractions if you get the same thing wherever you go.

Then why do tourists always ask for directions to the mall.. it's something to do

I do a lot of my shopping while on vacation

I like to shop on vacation too -- but in smaller local stores. I don't want to buy the same stuff I can get at home. But I'm also an anti-tourist; I despise having to go through the gift shop when leaving an historical attraction.

Work begins.

qp-EatonCentre-080110.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has posted this but the new glass and stainless steel balcony siding is being uncovered. The south most section has been revealed and it's gorgeous! I was worried they were messing with the architecture of the Eaton Centre but the result is very timeless, yet modern. They're also adding a new layer of tile over the existing one. It's similar but cleaner and brighter.

I'm looking forward to seeing the whole mall revealed in this glass and stainless steel treatment.

I've seen it too, and I don't like it. It's like photoshopping Brazilian waxes onto 1970s centerfold models.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I've heard from a couple places now that they're looking at throwing some condos into the Eaton Centre. Putting the rumblings together it sounds like it would be something like 500 units somewhere around the south end of the mall. Not sure where exactly, but it could either be right at the corner of Queen/Yonge or maybe a bit further north at the parkade

Some office condos would do well not that I see CF ever building those. I don't think its a good location for residential except perhaps short term rentals

My understanding - when the Eaton Centre, and in particular the east parkade were first built, the structural elements - footings, foundations, and support pillars - for at least two future towers were included, incremental to the original Cadillac Fairview tower on Queen Street and what was originally the Eaton Tower on Dundas Street. The building at 250 Yonge was subsequently built over the parkade at one of the locations of the pre-built foundations. I believe another set is just north of the building at the the north-west corner of Queen and Yonge, at the south end of the parkade. Not sure if there is a further third location after that.

AHK

I agree. I am very nervous about the banisters. I appreciate that they need updating, but I fear that the mall will end up with unoriginal railings more in keeping with a standard suburban mall aesthetic than with the original EC design. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Weren't the escalators mostly replaced five years ago or so? I seem to recall that one by one, they each went out of service for a week or so, got completely dismantled and (I assumed) replaced. Aftewards, the steps all looked new.
+1

It's a huge mistake to replace the railings. They're integral to the design and the new ones are generic and boring. They're going to regret it.

Thinking about it now I know why the idea of replacing the railings seems like a horrible idea to me.

Replacing the vertical bars with glass panes is going to open up the space, except it's already a wide open space and it doesn't need that at all. In fact it might make it feel worse and more intimidating. At least the bars hold you in and make you feel comfortable. Not only that but they reflect so many other features all over the space on the roof and the exposed pillars. I can't believe zeidler would think it would be a good idea to do this unless they were directed to by some airheads at cadillac fairview.

Back