Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I've been posting about the need for this for a while. Malls across Toronto have been upgrading and looking beautiful as a result and Eaton Centre is stuck debating the value of Toronto's iconic architecture versus a modern update. As long as the update is also designed by Zeidler, take a picture and move on. It's a mall, it needs to keep up.

You really have to read some of the comments on the star's article (on their site that is) :p

The north food court really is desperately in need of renovations. Actually now that I think about it... so is the south one...

Converting the entire south food court into one large Richtree is a big mistake unless the north food court expansion is very significant. It would probably need to occupy the entire bottom floor including..

- Unnecessary HMV
- Athletes World
- Baby Gap
- ridiculously lame formal menswear store
- salon that is probably older than I am
- I think there's a game store or some stupid thing between HMV / Athletes World.
- perpetual turnover random retail space (luggage, Indian ladies' clothing, etc).

None of these would be a huge loss to any mall.

I wonder if Michael Snow's Flightstop will become another victim of rennovations like the former north entrance art installations?

220px-TorontoEatonCentre.jpg

Last edited:
If I want to eat, I just go over to the AMC Dundas 24 building and use their food court. It's always half empty.

That's what I used to do when I was working at 250 Yonge and needed a change from Salad King. The food options in the mall right now are pretty terrible.

As long as the update is also designed by Zeidler, take a picture and move on. It's a mall, it needs to keep up.
Is it, though? I'm sure the article would have mentioned if Zeidler will be overseeing the rennovation. I'm afraid they're going to replace key elements like the white bar railings with glass and stainless steel railings that won't interact well with the galleria roof.

So far, all renovations to the Eaton Centre have been at the expense of the original architecture of the building. Sadly, I do not expect these new renovations to be any different (although I will not miss the south food court. Tear that sucker out).

I'm sure the article would have mentioned if Zeidler will be overseeing the rennovation. I'm afraid they're going to replace key elements like the white bar railings with glass and stainless steel railings that won't interact well with the galleria roof.

The article has practically no information; I'm surprised considering office tenants were informed of this a month ago. The letter we received from CF made no mention of Zeidler.

I've been posting about the need for this for a while. Malls across Toronto have been upgrading and looking beautiful as a result and Eaton Centre is stuck debating the value of Toronto's iconic architecture versus a modern update. As long as the update is also designed by Zeidler, take a picture and move on. It's a mall, it needs to keep up.

It's probably not designed by Zeidler because it would have been mentioned in the Star's article. I question the value of malls completely changing their interiors with time. They tend to destroy irreplaceable interior design, like at Sherway Gardens when they renovated the Simpsons Court. There are always things that can be changed and enhanced but our flagship malls tend to have a lot of features worthy of preservation.

One aspect of the Eaton Centre which I hope will be renovated is that dingy walkway between it and the Bay. They should replace the glass with clear glass and use an attractive flooring material.

^^^
I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the glass because the whole idea behind the redesign is to add light. That seems like the logical thing to do.

And I don't know if this is high on their to-do list but does anybody else think the undulating hallway to the washrooms is rather dingy??

I have this real - perhaps unreasonable - dislike for Richtree. I find them a royal pain, and way overpriced for what you get. I never understood why they are so popular, and shake my head at those "no photography" signs. As much as the south food court sucks in functionality, it is still useful and remains very popular despite the dank. Can they actually get more in rent from Richtree than from the sum of the collective food stalls in a renovated food court?

My number one desire for the Eaton Centre - get rid of Lush from the Dundas end. That store stinks up the subway station as well as its immediate environs. When "scent-free" policies flourish, I don't know why C-F tolerates them and their stinky soap smell.

I think the mall does need a facelift - all the changes over the years such as the malling of the former Eaton's floors has ruined the common aesthetic, and now all the backlit yellow signage gone, it will be a good thing. They aren't going to touch Snow's geese nor will the roof - the true defining feature - be compromised, so I say, despite my misgivings, bring it on.

I have this real - perhaps unreasonable - dislike for Richtree. I find them a royal pain, and way overpriced for what you get. I never understood why they are so popular, and shake my head at those "no photography" signs. As much as the south food court sucks in functionality, it is still useful and remains very popular despite the dank. Can they actually get more in rent from Richtree than from the sum of the collective food stalls in a renovated food court?

Food courts generate very high rental income for landlords, and I would be absolutely astonished if they were to eliminate the entire south food court for the sake of one Richtree. And, whenever I have wandered through, this food court seems to be quite busy. The only thing I could think of is that some of the present outlets might be moved up toward the north food court, where, as already mentioned, some of the adjacent space seems to be ripe for "repurposing".

The south food court is so poorly designed that if you go there during busy lunch hour, you can see cooking smoke lingering under the low ceilings. I used to work nearby and I quickly learned to buy my food and get out. When I would stay in the food court and eat, I'd get back to work and my colleagues would tell me I smelled like food.

Back