Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Real china won't last long. There will be broken dishes on a regular basis. The replacement cost alone will be prohibitive.

Even though the glass will probably grow on me, something tells me they should have kept the spirit of the original bar railings but in more modern materials.

I like the new floors and hopefully they get whoever did the ceilings at Yorkdale to do the same for the Eaton Centre. They're gorgeous! I've never spent so much time looking at ceilings before.

I'm looking most forward to the food court redevelopments. From the sound of it, they're bringing in more healthy choices too and on real china no less. This could be interesting.

I think the most significant update they could do would be to continue the mall all the way to Dundas without having Sears in the way. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen because Sears' life support is that one floor that forces people coming in from Dundas to walk through their store to get to the mall.

I'd have to agree. It would be nice if the original design vision wasn't compromised.

Real china has already worked successfully at another CF mall - Carrefour Laval. I've been to that mall, and that food court is spectacular. Its also quite a treat to use real cutlery to eat. No more plastic knives to refuse to cut my meat properly.

What's the demographic of folks at that mall? Is it as busy as the EC? I often see a lot of kids hanging out at the EC -- not always, depends on time of day, but I'm skeptical. I think it would be great, I just won't believe it 'til I see it.

I like the new floors and hopefully they get whoever did the ceilings at Yorkdale to do the same for the Eaton Centre. They're gorgeous! I've never spent so much time looking at ceilings before.

Uh, the existing ceilings are the whole architectural point of the Eaton Centre. Maybe you should spend some time looking at *them*.

Given how it's such an idee fixe for its squalor, wasn't the south food court only gouged out back around the Huey Lewis + The News era or something? Hardly an "original element"...

Uh, the existing ceilings are the whole architectural point of the Eaton Centre. Maybe you should spend some time looking at *them*.

Given how it's such an idee fixe for its squalor, wasn't the south food court only gouged out back around the Huey Lewis + The News era or something? Hardly an "original element"...

Uhh... the last time I checked, the iconic architectural element of the Eaton Centre was it's domed skylight, not the ceilings. The ceilings I'm speaking of are the ones along the lower floors which are simple flat panels. No thought given to them other than being functional.

They're replacing all the banisters with stainless steel and glass, just as I'd feared. It's a shame that they didn't choose to preserve the original aesthetic, because the new floor tiles are very close to the original design.

I have a feeling that the escalators are approaching the end of their operating lifespan and this $120 million upgrade is chiefly based on replacing them, and that presented a good opportunity for other major backburner projects like the new food court layouts...

Last edited:
The one thing I was kind of hoping for (which was never going to happen) was the parkade wall on the east side opened up with glass

Speaking of the skylight, it would be stunning if they'd replace it with clear glass. That would be amazing.

So basically I'm seeing from those pictures new tile and the escalators will be covered in glowing white plastic. Great. I'm pumped.

Certainly not revolutionary, but important nonetheless. I visited quite a few new malls in Taiwan and Hong Kong and really noticed the classy, clean finishings. When I visited the Eaton Centre afterward, I was pretty taken aback by the shoddiness of the floors, the railings, and food courts specifically. Even though the floors, with their dated (yet charming, in my mind) circular details, will look pretty much the same, they'll at least be new. I'll be most impressed with the food-court revamps, I think.

more renders:

gha3-foodidentity.jpg

gha2-sittingareas.jpg

gha1-diningarea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They had better redo the elevators. Never took notice until I had kids. You can wait 10 minutes to get one because they are so small and there's lots of demand from people with strollers and wheelchairs.

Back