Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

Generally speaking as i've noted before, Cadillac Fairview does pretty dreadful work when it comes to renovations but they actually do good work when it comes to new builds.

Let's hope they can keep their good new build trend going with East Harbour.

IMG_1029.jpeg

July 20th

Council just passed a Paula Fletcher motion to evaluate the old Unilever Soap factory building for possible heritage designation.

Looking at the above visual evidence, it would seem this motion is moot.

Upon further investigation, they had the demo permit in hand since December.

1689877927165.png

I'm not even sure there is a basis under which the City could recall/revoke such a permit; but needless to say, CF wasn't taking any chances.

Sad to see this being demolished... Would rather see this than yet more junkspace cityplace.

View attachment 493563

I'm not even sure there is a basis under which the City could recall/revoke such a permit; but needless to say, CF wasn't taking any chances.

Oddly enough the original proposal by First Gulf was going to keep the Southern portion of the main building, ( the part currently getting taken down in the image above), along with two of the smaller service buildings. Partially to not have the Flood Protection Landform come further into the site since the building was existing. Then the designs changed.

I am of the opinion that what was originally being kept would have been great, especially the interior two buildings (might still happen). But the big brown/grey portion isn't esthetically pleasing and built way later than the original heritage worthy brick portions. I have also had the pleasure to have toured the buildings back in 2018/19.

View attachment 493563

Pretty cynical move by them considering that the office space will not be going up anytime soon...

Daydream:

CF realize they won't be building office towers here this century and flips the site to DREAM who master-plan a mixed-use residential community with a smattering of HPA, BDPQ, Cobe & 3XN designs. Studio JCL will be retained to design the live-work components.

This will free up CF time and resources to complete a 3 storey addition at 2 Queen West.

Daydream:

CF realize they won't be building office towers here this century and flips the site to DREAM who master-plan a mixed-use residential community with a smattering of HPA, BDPQ, Cobe & 3XN designs. Studio JCL will be retained to design the live-work components.

This will free up CF time and resources to complete a 3 storey addition at 2 Queen West.
Could happen. Toronto now has way too much commercial space now. As leases come to market the vacancy rate will go up. Remote work is highly prized by white collar workers. Linkedin stated "In a First, Remote Jobs Attract a Majority of Applications on LinkedIn. A year ago, remote work may have seemed like a passing phase. Not anymore. In a first for LinkedIn, remote jobs received 50% of all applications in February 2022 — despite representing less than 20% of all jobs posted".

The office real estate market isn't going to need any new buildings any time soon.

Nothing can be done to halt demolition or save the other two smaller structures at this point? I read there was a pending heritage review.

Back