News   Jul 19, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I am curious as to what the motivation about the locals wanting the stop is - actual usage vs. resellability.
There were some reports at the time. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...fight_to_put_leslie_stop_back_on_the_map.html

For some reason, Metrolinx refused to study the south-of-the-road option. If they did, then we could have both full grade separation and a stop at Leslie so precious to the locals.
I think they were terrified about opening up the EA, after the residents got going, afraid that with the Rob Ford council, there was a chance the city wouldn't approve it.

They want to combine 51 Leslie and 56 Leaside into one route.
Which would provide a bit of service on Eglinton for the 1.2 km gap between Laird station and Leslie. I believe this is the biggest gap between stations on the line.

Laird Portal

fH5a1ok.jpg
Get ready for more idiots who get stuck because they were "following their GPS".

Claims he was following his GPS.

Get ready for more idiots who get stuck because they were "following their GPS".

Claims he was following his GPS.

I doubt its a likey to happen as the right of way will be in the centre of the road and protected much the way that spadina is. Queens Quay was redesigned poorly in the section by the tunnel there is a confusing piece of roadway the looks like it is part of the sidewalk and not a road. If someone was flowing a GPS that hadn't been updated with the current routing it very well could direct them down it with out them realizing it. In a situation like Spadian or St Crir it's more obvious that it's a separate section of the road.

It was in the EA when Miller was mayor. Metrolinx tried to fix, by burying it instead, but the locals had a fit about losing the stop at Leslie, so they went with the approved EA, so that they didn't risk the whole thing blowing up.
but what could the locals possibly do that scared Metrolinx so much?

but what could the locals possibly do that scared Metrolinx so much?
Stir up enough fuss, that people started to talk about the surface LRT through Scarborough to Kennedy, which Ford opposed. As City Hall would have to approve the revised EA, I think what happened is that they decided to make any revisions in the east, to avoid the risk.

You have to remember how gunshy they were by then, after 4 or 5 changes in the city's position.

I'm pretty sure we discussed this in detail a few hundred pages ago.

Laird Portal

fH5a1ok.jpg

Instead of at-grade, have the line once it emerges out of the portal elevate overhead the eastbound car lanes of Eglinton to an above-grade station on the south side of the Leslie intersection complete with a bus loop/bays for the 56 Leaside and 51 Leslie buses right underneath the station, and make provisions for a interchange with GO Transit's future Midtown corridor. Everyone's happy!

But they could have gone back to the original plan the day he was out of office ne
They did go back to the original plan.

Believe it or not, the original plan had the LRT on street through Leslie. This is because there was no consideration for a DRL along Don Mills. The Ford connected Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown would have worked very nicely with a DRL long. It shows that sad state of transit planning when an idiot like Ford came up with the best idea in the past 10 years. Although likely many others knew that putting this on the street would become a disaster, but were afraid to confront the establishment and say anything.

Instead of at-grade, have the line once it emerges out of the portal elevate overhead the eastbound car lanes of Eglinton to an above-grade station on the south side of the Leslie intersection complete with a bus loop/bays for the 56 Leaside and 51 Leslie buses right underneath the station, and make provisions for a interchange with GO Transit's future Midtown corridor. Everyone's happy!
It would involve some tight curves and steep grades (and simultaneously), but it could be done. I created this a while ago which shows the potential route.

If this decision were made early enough - say just after the next provincial election - I would say the preferred solution would be to tear out the portal and tunnel (cut-and-uncover method) for a couple of hundred metres (maybe close to Brentcliffe) and shift the tunnel to the south (the "cut" is already done, so it would just be "build and cover"). The portal would be roughly the same distance along Eglinton, but it would emerge about 15m south of its current position.

I haven't been that way for a while, but I am guessing that Eglinton is still funneled north of this construction site, so much of the work would be done under areas that are currently blocked from traffic. Thus, the disruption would be minimal, the construction could be done reasonably quickly, and the ultimate alignment would be preferred (flatter and straighter). Also, this area is not on the critical path, so it will have no impact on the opening of the line - which is likely governed by the Yonge-Eglinton station.

What would this cost? Say 300m of essentially cut-and-cover construction, plus a new portal - probably $100M to $200M. It would likely be quite embarrassing to Metrolinx, but maybe not as much as continuing with the current flawed plan.

Attachments

• ECLRT Over DVP.jpg
    ECLRT Over DVP.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 222
The trouble with the NIMBYs in the Eglinton & Leslie area is that they wanted a stop at Leslie, PERIOD. There was no thought given to locating it on the south side of Eglinton, nor any other side or center, just that there would be a STOP, nothing about a location of the said stop. They just wanted the candy bar else they'll throw a temper tantrum.

The trouble with the NIMBYs in the Eglinton & Leslie area is that they wanted a stop at Leslie, PERIOD. There was no thought given to locating it on the south side of Eglinton, nor any other side or center, just that there would be a STOP, nothing about a location of the said stop. They just wanted the candy bar else they'll throw a temper tantrum.
I don't understand why the Leslie LRT station couldn't be kept tunnelled and had the TBMs start at Don Mills go West to Yonge. I know it would raise the price by a few $100M, but IMO it would be better than waiting for a traffic light and going up and back down just for one stop. Also, the Sunnybrook Park Station(Leslie) being Orange on the map while the stations around it being gray is also a standout and dumb. Just cut and cover it immediately.
IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1434.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_1434.PNG
    IMG_1434.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 394
I don't understand why the Leslie LRT station couldn't be kept tunnelled and had the TBMs start at Don Mills go West to Yonge. I know it would raise the price by a few $100M, but IMO it would be better than waiting for a traffic light and going up and back down just for one stop. Also, the Sunnybrook Park Station(Leslie) being Orange on the map while the stations around it being gray is also a standout and dumb. Just cut and cover it immediately.
How did you figure it will ONLY cost $100M more? You realized that they'll have to tunnel under the Don River with Leslie station being much deeper than all other stations on the line. The station itself would have cost $150M. Metrolinx decided not to include that station if it was built tunnelled through. The idea was proposed if you remember correctly but it caused too many problem (politically), they decided against another EA amendment.

I don't think Metrolinx was up to the task of building a shorter version of the Prince Edward Viaduct with a lower deck for the LRT tracks. This will require the roadway on the new bridge to be raised a story to ensure the LRT tracks have enough clearance for the lower park access road and walking trails to the parking lot south of Eglinton.

Alternatively they can just elevated that station right onto of the Leslie/Eg intersection. It would be the cheapest and most efficient. For such a low ridership station and a savings of 1 minute, I doubt it's worth it.

How did you figure it will ONLY cost $100M more? You realized that they'll have to tunnel under the Don River with Leslie station being much deeper than all other stations on the line. The station itself would have cost $150M. Metrolinx decided not to include that station if it was built tunnelled through. The idea was proposed if you remember correctly but it caused too many problem (politically), they decided against another EA amendment.

I don't think Metrolinx was up to the task of building a shorter version of the Prince Edward Viaduct with a lower deck for the LRT tracks. This will require the roadway on the new bridge to be raised a story to ensure the LRT tracks have enough clearance for the lower park access road and walking trails to the parking lot south of Eglinton.

Alternatively they can just elevated that station right onto of the Leslie/Eg intersection. It would be the cheapest and most efficient. For such a low ridership station and a savings of 1 minute, I doubt it's worth it.
A few $100M. As in $100M - $500M

I don't understand why the Leslie LRT station couldn't be kept tunnelled and had the TBMs start at Don Mills go West to Yonge. I know it would raise the price by a few $100M, but IMO it would be better than waiting for a traffic light and going up and back down just for one stop.

Tunneling doesn't make much sense. What I don't get is why they're building in the median of Eglinton when they could've used an elevated guideway like they will at Black Creek Drive.

Back