247     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Laird Portal

fH5a1ok.jpg

Last edited:
Laird Portal

fH5a1ok.jpg

**tone of exasperation**

I can't effin' believe that this thing emerges from a perfectly lovely subterranean ROW to stop at the Leslie light - WTF? - only to dive back underground to the Science Centre station which in a just and correct and lofical universe will become a major interline hub on Relief Line. Pretty as this picture is, please God tell me it's a dream.

**tone of exasperation**

I can't effin' believe that this thing emerges from a perfectly lovely subterranean ROW to stop at the Leslie light - WTF? - only to dive back underground to the Science Centre station which in a just and correct and lofical universe will become a major interline hub on Relief Line. Pretty as this picture is, please God tell me it's a dream.

The locals are to blame for that stupidity, the plans to extend the tunnel to Don Mills were dropped when community associations got up in arms about losing the stop at Leslie, even though the stop would be useless to them. Probably had something to do with wanting the stop to increase their property values.

Although I do think it should be possible to fix the intersection at a later date, and remove the level crossing, possibly by bridging the LRT tracks over the intersection.

**tone of exasperation**

As I have said before, that was a time when Councillors, MPP's and Metrolinx all had to stop Ford at all costs. This is one of those cost we will be paying for (with poorer service) in perpetuity.

It was a Rob Ford solution. He had no interest in making light rail better, just dollar signs.
It was in the EA when Miller was mayor. Metrolinx tried to fix, by burying it instead, but the locals had a fit about losing the stop at Leslie, so they went with the approved EA, so that they didn't risk the whole thing blowing up.

It was in the EA when Miller was mayor. Metrolinx tried to fix, by burying it instead, but the locals had a fit about losing the stop at Leslie, so they went with the approved EA, so that they didn't risk the whole thing blowing up.

I am curious as to what the motivation about the locals wanting the stop is - actual usage vs. resellability.

AoD

For some reason, Metrolinx refused to study the south-of-the-road option. If they did, then we could have both full grade separation and a stop at Leslie so precious to the locals.

Choosing between the current alignment and underground-to-Don Mills, I'd rather take the latter; Leslie / Eglinton could be served by the Leslie bus. But, south-of-the-road would very likely be the best of 3.

Back