News   Jul 15, 2024
 758     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 910     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 636     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

may-8-2009-mount-dennis-koadac-looking-west-at-wall007.jpg

The Mt. Dennis wall is history. Kaput. Gone. Removed. Deleted. Erased. Recycled. Something to tell your grandchildren.

However, I'm definitely not nostalgic for it.

From this link:
'The Great Wall of Mount Dennis' has helped define our area for 50 (years), and was originally expected to flank a 400 series highway along Eglinton.

Last edited:
I'm voting for Miller in the election. I'd rather have Transit City with its flaws then chopped up TC with some added Dumbtrack and some billions thrown to Scarborough. Might just have some left over money for a DRL with Miller. Time to make Toronto great again.

I'm voting for Miller in the election. I'd rather have Transit City with its flaws then chopped up TC with some added Dumbtrack and some billions thrown to Scarborough. Might just have some left over money for a DRL with Miller. Time to make Toronto great again.

unfortunately youre about 10 yrs too late. Ford and Tory have already made their marks and the worst thing that can be done now (though not surprising for this "world class city") is to try to rewind the clock to the "good old days"
Time to move forward

They haven't built a thing. The only thing built is partial TC. Not that hard to turn back the clock.

You make it sound so trivial. Please supply the millions it would cost just to cancel and then another few billion to retender and redesign. Not to mention adding another 5+ years to the clock PROVIDED all goes well. You can use the Sheppard LRT as a fine example. The about turn mentality has cost the city dearly over the years and I implore you to think rationally for the sake of the near and distant future.
Sorry but the train has left the station. Funds have been allocated and designwork/construction is well underway. We simply cannot afford to turn back just because option B is perceived to be better.

They haven't built a thing. The only thing built is partial TC. Not that hard to turn back the clock.
It's actually sad that after a decade, only the central portion of the Crosstown line is under construction. Looking back at the "Network 2011" plan creates in the 80s, we only saw an extension to Downsview and part of the Sheppard line built. The extension beyond Downsview is still under construction.

The more suitable location is Martin Grove. A crossover is planned there in the original plans. This would be like rush hour and late evenings only. Ridership from the Renforth Gateway could increase with more Mississauga riders transferring at Eglinton West oppose to going to Kipling if they find it more convenient. It may be more suitable to short turn trains there.

With 'Sauga saying no to the LRT line I wonder where Crosstown should terminate in the west. Renforth Gateway is such an arbitrary spot with no rationale. And expensive to get to because of the 427.

I am thinking that after Martin Grove the LRT should stop and Toronto builds a BRT connection to the Renforth Gateway. I'm guessing would shave $250-$500M off the price tag

Then Mississauga transit bus system could connect at Martin Grove.
To get to the airport you have to change for a bus so you change at Martin Grove, not Renforth.
Use Martin Grove as a hub for a future community bus service to move people around the airport employment area (BRT along Eglinton and a direct bus only connection to 27 North to avoid traffic)

Of course future-proofing to allow for a LRT conversion. When/if there is money the LRT would be extended to Renforth and then eventually the Airport and Square One

With 'Sauga saying no to the LRT line I wonder where Crosstown should terminate in the west. Renforth Gateway is such an arbitrary spot with no rationale. And expensive to get to because of the 427.

I am thinking that after Martin Grove the LRT should stop and Toronto builds a BRT connection to the Renforth Gateway. I'm guessing would shave $250-$500M off the price tag

Then Mississauga transit bus system could connect at Martin Grove.
To get to the airport you have to change for a bus so you change at Martin Grove, not Renforth.
Use Martin Grove as a hub for a future community bus service to move people around the airport employment area (BRT along Eglinton and a direct bus only connection to 27 North to avoid traffic)

Of course future-proofing to allow for a LRT conversion. When/if there is money the LRT would be extended to Renforth and then eventually the Airport and Square One

The Renforth Gateway (and associated ramps to/from the 427) is a Metrolinx initiative, I see nothing stopping us from building Crosstown West to that point (province can front the money). This will allow MiWay buses to run along the Transitway and continue to the airport, connecting to the Crosstown seamlessly. The TTC can modify the Airport Rocket route to go through Renforth Gateway so that Mississauga doesn't get a cash windfall from TTC riders transferring to MiWay and to the airport.

I think we should put BRT in the Eglinton corridor. It was brought up a few times at council about the justification for the Eglinton West LRT, and staff would shy away from the ridership numbers, and insist the extension was for "network completeness" and to make a connection to the airport. The current Crosstown terminates at a (future) GO/SmartTrack station, which presumably would be a UP Express station, and therefore a faster connection to the airport.

SmartTrack should have been a plan to integrate all GO lines in Toronto, by increasing train frequency (already in the works), adding some stations (such as those proposed), improving connections with TTC stations, and integrating fares with the TTC (the big missing piece in the plan).

BRT could be designed with the necessary grading and curves so that it could be converted to LRT in the future. As well it could use Mississauga's (already under construction) infrastructure at Renforth Gateway, and a combined route up to the airport. Therefore both MiWay and TTC could send buses up to the Airport. I think Mississauga would be much more willing to pay for this infrastructure. Overall this would be cheaper, and for the same cost as the LRT, you might also be able to build BRT from Eglinton/Weston up Jane to Finch, another busy route, and good connection to the Finch West LRT.

Otherwise funds are better spent on things like the DRL, or waterfront transit, which even the local councilor even suggested.

HOV lanes or bus only lanes on Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke were rejected by the ratepayers in the area, long before any mention of Transit City was born.

However, having HOV or bus lanes up Black Creek Blvd. (and Hwy. 400) from Eglinton up to Steeles Avenue West could be an option. But only for buses, taxis and emergency vehicles.

With 'Sauga saying no to the LRT line I wonder where Crosstown should terminate in the west.
Mississauga never said no to the Eglinton West LRT, they just weren't happy that city staff from Toronto implied that Mississauga should/would pay for some of the costs without first having discussions with the City of Mississauga.

Back