News   Jul 16, 2024
 82     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 834     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 963     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Didn't Metrolinx say they wanted to use someone else to operate the eglinton lrt and the ttc and Toronto cried foul. I doubt they would pay paying to operate the line if it was someone else who was operating it. Now that they will be operating the line they are crying foul again at having to pay to operate the line. You can't win with these people.

What kind of luggage do you people use that "schlepping" it onto a low-floor, fully accessible LRT is some kind of undue burden?

Millions of people travel to and from airports all over the world on public transit. I see people on buses, the subway, even streetcars with roller suitcases all of the time.

I do lots of that... If I am lightly loaded, I take the 192. Heathrow to Russell Square by tube with a full-size suitcase is also doable, but takes work. When I am overseas I pick hotels that are anywhere up to a km from transit, assuming I can trundle the last mile on foot (Rolling suitcases on European cobblestones is hell after a few blocks, I would add).

However - in Toronto, if you live on a residential street that is two blocks from the bus stop that takes you to Line 2 that takes you to Kipling, it's another story. Especially in January. Even with a small carryon suitcase. That's me. Stairs, puddles, slush, salt, curbs, squeezing on crowded buses - yes, it's cumulatively unappealing.

LRT will attract a certain number of air travellers, but the number has to be discounted because not everyone lives within a short walk from the LRT.

- Paul

Well, $470 million a lot of money for an ordinary person, but not that much compared to the cost of other transit projects currently on the table.

Frankly, I am a bit suspicious of such evaluations. Any ridership forecasts are sensitive to the input parameters that have to be chosen rather than calculated. If those input parameters are wrong, then the results will be off even though all calculations are correct.

Many cities whose size is comparable to Toronto found it useful to build a rail link to the airport; and in some cases, they run both express service and a more local service. It is hard for me to understand why Toronto should be so different.

When we have three groups of professionals evaluating a problem and coming to identical conclusions, I'm inclined to believe them.

Furthermore we know from other cities that airport rapid transit systems are amongst the most seldom used components of a rapid transit system. Airports aren't good at generating ridership.

I don't think the people on here who think it would be fair for Mississauga to pay for the LRT extension get it. No one in Mississauga lives on the proposed airport connection. This would literally not serve anyone in Mississauga. MiWay buses can still directly serve the airport, so, why would anyone want to hop off a MiWay bus at Gateway and pay the extra TTC fee to get on an LRT to get to the airport in that case? If the plan was to extend the crosstown to Square One, then yeah for sure I'd expect Mississauga to pitch in for that. The airport and surrounding area will be better served by connecting buses from the Gateway Terminal.

Josh Matlow: "No one in Toronto knows how the proposed transit plan will be funded. Mississauga has told us how it's not going to be funded. "

I don't think the people on here who think it would be fair for Mississauga to pay for the LRT extension get it.

Yeesh. Only if we had implemented that Metrolinx Investment Strategy and had the costs covered by revenue tools already...

Didn't Metrolinx say they wanted to use someone else to operate the eglinton lrt and the ttc and Toronto cried foul. I doubt they would pay paying to operate the line if it was someone else who was operating it. Now that they will be operating the line they are crying foul again at having to pay to operate the line. You can't win with these people.

Yes I think it came down to if it had problems and they needed shuttle buses the TTC said they wouldn't provide them if it wasn't being operated by them.

Yes I think it came down to if it had problems and they needed shuttle buses the TTC said they wouldn't provide them if it wasn't being operated by them.
More like TTC will charge Metrolinx for them. So what happens for the ION, Hurontario LRT, Hamilton LRTs and the Confederation line? They are all to be privately operated similar to ML's desire to operate the Transit City lines way back then. Who pays for their shuttle buses?

More like TTC will charge Metrolinx for them. So what happens for the ION, Hurontario LRT, Hamilton LRTs and the Confederation line? They are all to be privately operated similar to ML's desire to operate the Transit City lines way back then. Who pays for their shuttle buses?
Mississauga is planning to run buses on Hurontario after the LRT goes into service. There is talk that service will be every 10-15 minutes and service stops between the LRT Stops

35024.gif

Don't forget that a small parcel of airport land is in the City of Toronto, the area west of the 427 up to Dixon Road. Likely the LRT will still have to run in the City of Mississauga, but would likely be similar as the arrangements made for the Line 1 extension into Vaughan.

See link.

Don't forget that a small parcel of airport land is in the City of Toronto, the area west of the 427 up to Dixon Road. Likely the LRT will still have to run in the City of Mississauga, but would likely be similar as the arrangements made for the Line 1 extension into Vaughan.

See link.

I think I posted it here before, but here is a detailed border map again. Pink/purple is Mississauga.

ujbBA9Y.png

why doesn't the airport bus from kipling simply just swing off at eglinton and make a pick up on the way to the airport

Reactions: rbt
It's planned for through service

Because the airport has airplanes that take people to far away places they want to go.
UTSC to Pearson is a long line. I hope they know how to handle this.

5. Have they eliminated Renforth as a stop area at all or just that station. Will there be a stop under the Renforth Gateway?

Back