News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 413     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I cannot believe that tunneling for the Eglinton Streetcar/Train/LRT is almost over. Time flies!
That was the easy part (relatively) & a little more tunneling from the east.
Now the real work begins , building all the underground stations ( Yonge will take a while) & maintenance yard @ Mt Dennis !
On top out east mostly should be easy.

Now that the West Tunnel is complete (8 months ahead of schedule!!!), the TBM components (conveyors, etc...) should be able to be disassembled while they wait to extract then TBM head. I wonder if that means they can begin station construction on Eglinton west of Yonge, while the TBM is still in the ground awaiting extraction at Yonge.

Overall I am pretty impressed so far with Metrolinx's first take on a Toronto-specific transit mega-project. (Bureaucratic station naming idiocy aside)

I hope I won't have to be eating my words by 2021.

Overall I am pretty impressed so far with Metrolinx's first take on a Toronto-specific transit mega-project. (Bureaucratic station naming idiocy aside)

I hope I won't have to be eating my words by 2021.

They have nowhere to hide on this one. The project scope and the timelines are fairly clear. They did a good job on keeping the tunnelling metric updated. So far they are being appropriately transparent. I hope we continue to see good progress reporting as they move forward.

In contrast, RER is being planned and executed in secrecy. I hope they learn from Crosstown and report on RER and the other LRT projects the same way.

- Paul

In contrast, RER is being planned and executed in secrecy. I hope they learn from Crosstown and report on RER and the other LRT projects the same way.
It's still almost 3 years before they begin GO RER electrification construction (~2018-2019).

There's a lot of areas that are still unclear because of in-progress EA's of various sections of RER. Similar EA was conducted for Crosstown in similar 'secrecy' IIRC. I am already getting impressed by the ramping-up of information releases for RER, but the big difference is the Toronto media doesn't cover RER nearly as much as Crosstown LRT.

Only in the last 2 months we saw 500 new pages of GO RER documents (Business Case and its multiple separate Appendix PDF files) which I think is a very big information release of GO RER. I'm reasonably satisfied by Metrolinx's gradual ramp-up of GO RER information release, but I am not satisfied how little Toronto media covers the RER initiatives.

A lot of RER is fairly opaque but info releases seem to be ramping up -- I do recall the early days of Crosstown wasn't exactly nearly as transparent as now... I expect quite a lot more transparency in RER at some point.

Only in the last 2 months we saw 500 new pages of GO RER documents (Business Case and its multiple separate Appendix PDF files) which I think is a very big information release of GO RER. I'm reasonably satisfied by Metrolinx's gradual ramp-up of GO RER information release, but I am not satisfied how little Toronto media covers the RER initiatives.

A lot of RER is fairly opaque but info releases seem to be ramping up -- I do recall the early days of Crosstown wasn't exactly nearly as transparent as now... I expect quite a lot more transparency in RER at some point.

The recent RER documents certainly shed a lot of light on a lot of things, but they are mostly analyses that pose options for decision. My impression is that GO is actually starting to spend money on things... What's not documented is what is already approved and in play.

With the first step of Crosstown being the tunnel, it was pretty easy to tell if things were going well.... the TBM's either moved or they didn't. Now that they are into the next phase, it's going to be harder to tell where things stand. We went through this with TYSSE.... for a long time we were assured that everything was going well, and then there was a painful admission that things weren't going well. And ML does not match the TTC in terms of monthly CEO reports, etc.

I would hope that ML will aspire to be a leader in transparency. Public oversight is a different beast in 2o16 than even in 2010.

- Paul

roOn Sat I drove east on Eglinton, saw those townhouses under construction on the north side of Eglinton and wanted to ask were there tress along that stretch that had to be removed to accommodate the townhouses? There are trees on the south side and I from what I remember still some on north side but pass the townhouses. Also, will the city ever allow development along Eglinton from Scarlett Rd to about west of Weston Rd on north side? The south side has a golf course that I could see being re-developed if land sold off. The cemetery east of caledonia to west of Harvie side obviously prevents development on the south side. Then there is the parkette east of Gilbert Ave and the parkland east of Black Creek which prevents development. Eglinton has a lot of greenery in the west

roOn Sat I drove east on Eglinton, saw those townhouses under construction on the north side of Eglinton and wanted to ask were there tress along that stretch that had to be removed to accommodate the townhouses? There are trees on the south side and I from what I remember still some on north side but pass the townhouses. Also, will the city ever allow development along Eglinton from Scarlett Rd to about west of Weston Rd on north side? The south side has a golf course that I could see being re-developed if land sold off. The cemetery east of caledonia to west of Harvie side obviously prevents development on the south side. Then there is the parkette east of Gilbert Ave and the parkland east of Black Creek which prevents development. Eglinton has a lot of greenery in the west

The entire area of Eglinton flats including the golf course are in the Humber flood plain. Redevelopment is not possible. That North side bit of Eglinton near Weston got some townhouses like 10(?) Years ago.

Getting closer.

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at Monday May 2, 2016 10.34.53 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at Monday May 2, 2016 10.34.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at Monday May 2, 2016 10.34.53 AM.png
    452 KB · Views: 971

Back