News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

So, sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if the underground sections will have platform screen doors? It would be dumfoundingly shortsited of them not to include them as part of the $5.4 billion line, given that it's been already announced that they'll be operating on ATC in the underground sections.

So, sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if the underground sections will have platform screen doors? It would be dumfoundingly shortsited of them not to include them as part of the $5.4 billion line, given that it's been already announced that they'll be operating on ATC in the underground sections.

not sure but I dont see the advantages of having them on this project because its low floor. The reason why it would make sense for the metro lines is because its high floor so people can fall down to track level. In this case its just like the underground stations for the streetcars so the conditions will be identical as if its at grade.

not sure but I dont see the advantages of having them on this project because its low floor. The reason why it would make sense for the metro lines is because its high floor so people can fall down to track level. In this case its just like the underground stations for the streetcars so the conditions will be identical as if its at grade.

There's also no electrified third rail.

ATO is a possible issue if the trains can't detect pedestrians to stop, but my understanding is the crosstown trains, despite being on ATO when underground, will always have a driver in the cab obviously due to the above-ground segments. Logically they should have control over an emergency brake button that overrides ATO, for instance when entering a station if they see someone on the tracks.

Keep in mind, a future installation of doors on the Eglinton line would be a lot cheaper than the existing subway lines, because you don't have the structural issue of trying to build the heavy door on a piece of platform that is already cantilevered.

There's also no electrified third rail.

ATO is a possible issue if the trains can't detect pedestrians to stop, but my understanding is the crosstown trains, despite being on ATO when underground, will always have a driver in the cab obviously due to the above-ground segments. Logically they should have control over an emergency brake button that overrides ATO, for instance when entering a station if they see someone on the tracks.
Considering the TTC will be fully responsible for all operation on the line, they will never leave trains crewless given all the emergency on the current subway lines. It'll be like the SRT.

I was at a Metrolinx community meeting tonight for keele station and I asked someone whom i thought worked for Metrolinx why it takes so long to build (the construction part of the stations) and was told 5 years is not long. i mentioned how is it in other cities they build more transit (subway) and in a shorter amount of time and they seemed to be dumbfounded. I later found out they were not from metrolinx but from crosslinx. I asked why not work on the stations 24 hrs and they said because residents would not be happy with the noise.

Metrolinx put out these communications sheets (in colour with metrolinx green) and pens with metrolinx logo, and I am pretty sure I saw black bags with metrolinx name on it. They bought coffee from Tim Hortons. Was all that necessary? They were lots of employees from Metrolinx too. I hope its part of their salary and they are not getting paid extra to be there. There were more people from metrolinx and Crosslinx than residents. And the same presentation boards put up. If you are going to have a meeting why not do a presentation, residents can ask questions so all can hear and hear the answers.

I asked a Metrolinx employee about fares as another resident said fares will go up once LRT is completed and employee said not more than the usual increases. I mentioned fare integration and that eventually it will be zone or fare by distance and she appeared to be clueless that metrolinx is having these discussions. She thought it was great someone from vaughan could ride the system for one fare (Spadina extention). I pointed out that its not fair someone from there rides in and pays same fare as someone going 3 stops. She says if she is coming rom Scarborough at Kennedy to say keele how is it fair that someone who only goers 3 stops pays less than she does. What planet is she on? I pointed out the same as someone who is in a taxi going 3 blocks bvs 12 blocks. She said but on the LRT you are in the same system so she should not have to pay more. The fact she knew nothing about fare integration and is working for Metrolinx and making these statements - well i had to walk away from her. - When you know more than an employee that works there - something is wrong. How do these people get hired? Well in her case and I hate to said this but for diversity reasons. But hire people or train them or whatever so they can communicate intelligently

^Their name tags say if they were from Metrolinx or the Crosslinx consortium. The pens/bags all have Eglinton CROSSTOWN on it, "Metrolinx" doesn't appear on the pens.

Do keep in mind that these stations are very deep so it takes longer. Their timeline does indicate they'll finish by 2020 which is only 3.5 years (indicated on their handouts).

Last edited:
^Their name tags say if they were from Metrolinx or the Crosslinx consortium. The pens/bags all have Eglinton CROSSTOWN on it, "Metrolinx" doesn't appear on the pens.

Do keep in mind that these stations are very deep so it takes longer. Their timeline does indicate they'll finish by 2020 which is only 3.5 years (indicated on their handouts).
Well I did not look that closely on the pens but whether metrolinx, crosstown, whatever, unnecessary. I did not notice name tags and if there had them, obviously small. I am not going to be staring at chests. Metrolinx keeps saying 2021 in the meetings I have been at

Well I did not look that closely on the pens but whether metrolinx, crosstown, whatever, unnecessary. I did not notice name tags and if there had them, obviously small. I am not going to be staring at chests. Metrolinx keeps saying 2021 in the meetings I have been at
Everyone had name tags. Might have helped to figure out who's part of what. I agree they spent way too much on promotion material. They only thing they needed are the project update handouts. They print them on good quality paper too. What a waste.

Everything will open in 2021 but most stations are to be completed by late 2020. They'll do the final tasks like testing and commissioning in 2021. They also needed to get the yard and some test tracks ready way before 2021 so all the LRVs can do their test runs (the 600km run that the TTC does with the new streetcars. Might not be 600km). That explains why the elevated section over Black creek will complete in 2018. Keelesdale is to be completed by late 2019.

Everyone had name tags. Might have helped to figure out who's part of what. I agree they spent way too much on promotion material. They only thing they needed are the project update handouts. They print them on good quality paper too. What a waste.

Everything will open in 2021 but most stations are to be completed by late 2020. They'll do the final tasks like testing and commissioning in 2021. They also needed to get the yard and some test tracks ready way before 2021 so all the LRVs can do their test runs (the 600km run that the TTC does with the new streetcars. Might not be 600km). That explains why the elevated section over Black creek will complete in 2018. Keelesdale is to be completed by late 2019.
well they should have had a proper presentation with a Q&A. The way they did it they don't have to get that many people upset and they staredt it at 630 when they must realize people are either getting home or eating. Most community meetings are held at 7pm. Then they had it in a lunch room of a school. One resident had difficulty sitting at those lunch tables for with the fixed seat and they had to go get a chair for her. It should have been held at York Civic Centre. I think they did not want all the questions that were asked last time as people go up to ask questions it inspires other to also. I talked to a resident several months back who told me Metrolinx had a community meeting in the Mr Dennis area and there were no chairs to sit down at all. Its like they wanted people to come, take a look at those boards and that's it. They obvious;y wanted to avoid tough questions and that encouraged people to come and leave. Which I think is what they wanted last night. I was going to start with the station names, Leslie stop, fixing up the Keele jog with the station but there was no point as what is done is done. I should not even have bothered to go

They wanted something that people can walk in and out instead of forcing people to sit for an hour starting at a specific time. It was about Keelesdale not the entire line and was design for locals wondering about the situation. They try to put it closest to the entire line.

The two presentations are up: http://thecrosstown.ca/news-media/whats-new

They wanted something that people can walk in and out instead of forcing people to sit for an hour starting at a specific time. It was about Keelesdale not the entire line and was design for locals wondering about the situation. They try to put it closest to the entire line.

The two presentations are up: http://thecrosstown.ca/news-media/whats-new
it was not all about keelsdale. There were boards on other station constructions and then the interchanges, etc. Anyone can get up and leave during a presentation or Q&A. You are not forced to stay. And for seniors having to get over those fixed seating at the lunch tables was not great. I guess I have been to a few of these now and the only one where I learned anything was at a meeting held at Richview School and I learned a lot on the RER from a very knowledgable Metrolinx employee. She worked in communications but knew her stuff and was able to articulate it and answered all our questions.

I stumbled across these renders of some new Moscow subway stations. Reminds me a lot of the Crosstown design, with the splashes of orange on the wall:

moscow-buromoscow-architects-renderings-metro-station-russia_dezeen_1568_3.jpg

moscow-buromoscow-architects-renderings-metro-station-russia_dezeen_1568_4.jpg

Some more renderings here: http://www.dezeen.com/2016/02/02/ni...ashkayev-architectural-bureau-and-buromoscow/

And for comparison, the Eglinton Line renders:

G0mlmfL.png
XGzWNDg.png
6BZCWXg.png

Back