News   May 16, 2024
 482     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 627     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 549     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The thing isn't opening for six years. It's won't take anywhere near that long to construct the at grade portion
Thats such an odd way of thinking. Perhaps, it isn't opening in 6 years BECAUSE the at grade portion isn't being done at the same time.
Look, yes, it's fun to throw around accusations of government mismanagement, but I'd love to see the copy of the construction schedule that you have that says that the tunnel portion will be ready to go sooner!

The thing isn't opening for six years. It's won't take anywhere near that long to construct the at grade portion

I dare say they could build the Scarborough segment elevated, and tear up the first 400m west of the portal and move the portal south by 10m, and it would still be the underground stations (probably the interchange stations) that would govern the opening date.

Bonus photos from today's event that didn't make the front page story:

IMG_8046.jpg
IMG_8050.jpg
IMG_8051.jpg
IMG_8052.jpg
IMG_8056.jpg
IMG_8057.jpg
IMG_8060.jpg
IMG_8063.jpg
IMG_8064.jpg
IMG_8065.jpg
IMG_8073.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8046.jpg
    IMG_8046.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 433
  • IMG_8050.jpg
    IMG_8050.jpg
    914.1 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_8051.jpg
    IMG_8051.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 441
  • IMG_8052.jpg
    IMG_8052.jpg
    873.9 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_8056.jpg
    IMG_8056.jpg
    926.4 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_8057.jpg
    IMG_8057.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 483
  • IMG_8060.jpg
    IMG_8060.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 399
  • IMG_8063.jpg
    IMG_8063.jpg
    950 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_8064.jpg
    IMG_8064.jpg
    896 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_8065.jpg
    IMG_8065.jpg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_8073.jpg
    IMG_8073.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 433
Its weird to me that they aren't working on the above ground portion at the same time as the below ground portion, but hey, I guess thats government for ya.

Guess you missed this earlier video from 2012. From this link. They excavate and pour station box walls before the TBM arrives, which dig through the station box walls after the concrete sets. Concrete is softest after they are freshly set, but gets harder with age.

It's standard practice using Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs).

Look, yes, it's fun to throw around accusations of government mismanagement, but I'd love to see the copy of the construction schedule that you have that says that the tunnel portion will be ready to go sooner!
WEll if they would start construction of the stations now while the TBM continue along their way, perhaps the opening would be sooner. But, if you do not start building the stations till 2017, well obviously the 2021 date or more likely later date. When has government ever levied severe penalties for delays in anything they do.

Its weird to me that they aren't working on the above ground portion at the same time as the below ground portion, but hey, I guess thats government for ya.
They will be. They just awarded the contract for all the stations, trackwork, etc. including the above ground portion. All they've done to date is the tunnel with no equipment, because of the extra lead time required for that.

The above ground should be straight forward. Keep in mind that Finch LRT has the same due date, and they haven't even issued the RFP yet - at least a year away from awarding. Above ground doesn't take as long.

Guess you missed this earlier video from 2012. From this link. They excavate and pour station box walls before the TBM arrives, which dig through the station box walls after the concrete sets. Concrete is softest after they are freshly set, but gets harder with age.

It's standard practice using Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs).
I did not. Thanks

Very exciting! The size of the launch shaft is enormous. I'd love to be able to walk through that and the freshly bored tunnels.

A few weeks ago I was at the Mt. Dennis launch shaft at early morning (2 am about). It's really awesome to see some tangible progress in person. Perhaps if I were more mischievous I would've descended into the shaft to take a tour (the work site was empty as far as I could see). From the surface the tunnel diameter looked huge.

Hopefully next time there's media tours of the tunnels they'll invite a few member of the public. I'd love to talk a walk down there.

A few weeks ago I was at the Mt. Dennis launch shaft at early morning (2 am about). It's really awesome to see some tangible progress in person. Perhaps if I were more mischievous I would've descended into the shaft to take a tour (the work site was empty as far as I could see). From the surface the tunnel diameter looked huge.

Hopefully next time there's media tours of the tunnels they'll invite a few member of the public. I'd love to talk a walk down there.

When I was an engineering student at U of T, my class was fortunate enough to go on a construction tour of the Spadina subway.

Pics: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...ension-construction.4883/page-231#post-780288

Prior to that I also had a site tour of Ice Condos. In fact the reason I joined UT is so that I could share those pictures to you guys. I never thought I'd have over 3,000 posts by now.

Pics: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-lanterra-57-67s-aa.5951/page-230#post-768827

LOL!!! Now who didn't see that coming?
I didn't. Given how much tendering had slipped since they first announced the 2020 date back in May 2010, I thought it would be at least 2022 and likely 2023.

Recall that in May 2010 they wanted to start building the stations in 2012. Now they are talking about 2016.

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be impressed at Metrolinx for changing the opening date so little.

Of course the same May 2010 announcement put the Sheppard East LRT opening date at mid-2014 and Finch by 2019. But those delays have already been announced.

Must be a shortage of experienced tradespeople. Hint to those unemployed, learn a trade that evolves using your hands. Both men and women. They can't speed up construction if there isn't the skilled people around to do it.

Back