News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

So, in the future, there will be less density and fewer people around stops like Lebovic, so they won't be necessary? Didn't you just say that there could be condos behind the theatre? Wouldn't their residents use the LRT stop?

So, in the future, there will be less density and fewer people around stops like Lebovic, so they won't be necessary? Didn't you just say that there could be condos behind the theatre? Wouldn't their residents use the LRT stop?

All I know is that we keep talking about how people cant walk to get to transit.. Its too far... Whenever I go to new york and I stay in queens i walk quite a distance to the subway. Infact alot of people walk quite far to get to the subway. But once you get there the subway is way faster because there are fewer stops. If we keep babying people and saying surely they wont walk that far then they will live up to that. PLus in the future if cars cost significantly more to drive it wont be a option any more and people will be forced to take transit. Im pro transit but I just dont see why people cant walk 5 minutes to it so that there are fewer stops on the system... I would be against OAKWOOD to be truthful but because of the traffic on Eglinton and the need for that area to be redeveloped I made an honest exception to my 5 minute walk rule. Otherwise people can walk from eglintonwest to dufferin. If you start bringing up the elderly I would like to see the stats of how many elderly people actually use the system percentage wise please.

New York is an intensely pedestrian-friendly city in the way that the big box parking lots of Eglinton East are not. Some day that area might be redeveloped in a way that makes Lebovic obsolete, but there are transit users on that corridor right now and we need to build to their needs.

Your claim about there being fewer stops on the New York Subway is nonsense by the way. Even in the outer boroughs the typical stop spacing is in the 500m-800m range, and that kind of coverage is part of what makes the system so appealing.

Anyway, just because (able-bodied) people can walk the 1.2 km from Dufferin to Eglinton West doesn't mean that a station in between is unnecessary. It's the same distance from Ossington to Bathurst, but that doesn't mean we should take out Christie.

You can review the Public Consultation Report (PDF) from Western Alignment and Vehicle Maintenance and Storage Facility consultation in June by downloading it from this link.

I find it interesting that while some want jobs in the Weston/Eglinton area, but some don't want to overlook the area where the jobs would go. At least these jobs (at the Vehicle Maintenance Facility) would be better paying than the minimum wage jobs that go with most retail.

as long as the weston area can see some redevelopment I am happy. I am kind of concerned about this part of eglinton not having condos or offices built facing Eglinton because of the storage facility. It seems like a better idea to have the storage facility moved alittle farther back so that Eglinton itself can see some redevelopment as well.

I have a bigger problem with the surface stop spacing then the tunnelled portion. Chaplain crescent might be the only tunnelled stop I find debatable since the community will not support any intensification in the area.

Since when does it matter what neighbourhoods want? It has not stopped intensification elsewhere. I look at Eglinton and Yonge and see those buildings moving closer and closer to those neighboirhoods. They sure have not been able to stop intensification.

as long as the weston area can see some redevelopment I am happy. I am kind of concerned about this part of eglinton not having condos or offices built facing Eglinton because of the storage facility. It seems like a better idea to have the storage facility moved alittle farther back so that Eglinton itself can see some redevelopment as well.

I agree. That and all those LRT stationd that look to be front and centre along Eglinton instead of again moving the stops along the intersecting street to Eglinton so that Eglinton could be redeveloped.

Okay, its roll up your sleeves or wear short sleeves time. We have a test to do. I hope we studied.

From this link.

Underground pump test

What: Pump Test to assist with the design of the tunnel and stations.

Where: Within the east commuter parking lot (area of Eglinton West Station).

When: August 2012

Work Details

Borehole pump tests will now be conducted to gather data needed to assess existing hydrogeological conditions along Eglinton. Small boreholes have been drilled to monitor water levels during the pumping tests. The monitoring wells will be left in place to be used in future phases of construction.

How will this impact you?

The work to be performed under this project includes installation of pumping wells, water monitoring wells, and a temporary generator which will be used to power the testing operations.

- Drilling of pumping well and monitoring wells and pumping of water

- Setting up the generator to power the test pump

- Delivery of equipment and materials

- Construction signs to notify drivers, pedestrians and cyclists of construction activity and parking limits

- Normal construction noise should be expected. However, the generator will be placed in a noise reduction box.

Work Hours

Once installation of the pumping well, monitoring wells and test set-up is in place, the test will operate continuously for 24 hours a day for a period of four to five days.

Traffic Details/Parking

During this phase of construction, pumping wells will be located in the east commuter parking lot beside Eglinton West station. Vehicles performing work off of Eglinton Avenue will stay parked overnight and will require approximately four parking spots in the south-west corner of the lot, next to the Allen Northbound ramp. To minimize inconvenience wherever possible, work will take place outside traffic lanes or on public property adjacent to the roadway.

Pedestrian Access/Walkways

Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times. Tubing will be visible near the site, please take extra care while travelling near construction.

dmbtest.gif

Some shots from the LRT exhibit at the CNE from today:

I thought Eglinton, Sheppard and Finch were to be low floor. These take 5 steps to get in. Either the definition of "low floor" is different than I imagined or the display is not set up properly. Is this deliberate to make the new LRT look more like a "subway car" than a "street car"?

I thought Eglinton, Sheppard and Finch were to be low floor. These take 5 steps to get in. Either the definition of "low floor" is different than I imagined or the display is not set up properly. Is this deliberate to make the new LRT look more like a "subway car" than a "street car"?

It is a "mock-up", not a "prototype", on a trailer. The height of the entrance will be the same as the safety island height.

See the Bombardier Freedom brochure PDF, at this link:

Is this just a generic Bombardier model that is taken to various cities for demonstration purposes? The Transit City light rail vehicles would look very different from this (if and when the lines are actually built).

Back