News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 764     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

With 2 Jane Busses Jane South could terminate at Mount Dennis, and Jane North could terminate at Jane and Eglinton so there would be an overlap for more flexible transferring.

I thought there was some talk on the Steve Munro site that the Oakwood station would be removed - but it still appears on the Crosstown website = does anyone know where this stands?

Steve also mention that there would be no (revenue) service from Eglinton to the SRT corridor - is this confirmed or rumor?

I thought there was some talk on the Steve Munro site that the Oakwood station would be removed - but it still appears on the Crosstown website = does anyone know where this stands?

From Inside Toronto: http://www.zuza.com/news-story/1307569-petition-calls-for-oakwood-stop-on-crosstown-transit-line/

Metrolinx spokesperson Mark Ostler could not confirm whether an Oakwood stop is part of a provincial review of the final number and locations for the Crosstown stations.

The evaluation, going on now, is based on several factors including cost, usage, overall ridership and development potential, said Ostler.

He said further public consultations for station designs and locations are expected for the fall.

From Inside Toronto: http://www.zuza.com/news-story/1307569-petition-calls-for-oakwood-stop-on-crosstown-transit-line/

Metrolinx spokesperson Mark Ostler could not confirm whether an Oakwood stop is part of a provincial review of the final number and locations for the Crosstown stations.

The evaluation, going on now, is based on several factors including cost, usage, overall ridership and development potential, said Ostler.

He said further public consultations for station designs and locations are expected for the fall.

I have called and emailed so many people in the past about this exact thing. Oakwood has been on the chopping block for a while. Near Oakwood all the stores have OAKWOOD LRT signs promoting a stop. If Oakwood gets a stop then theoretically less busses would need to depart from Eglinton west which would be a huge benefit for traffic congestion.

I have a bigger problem with the surface stop spacing then the tunnelled portion. Chaplain crescent might be the only tunnelled stop I find debatable since the community will not support any intensification in the area.

The Chaplin Station would, at minimum, have two bus routes transferring passengers to it. 33 Forest Hill and 14 Glencairn.

Chaplin is also at the bottom of a hill. Chaplin makes a lot of sense as a stop, not only because of the bus connections, but because the built density isn't bad around there. The stops that make little sense is Ionview, which is one block from Kennedy, and Lebovic. I guess Ionview is useful if the LRT then makes the last stop at Kennedy Station, but not if there is also a Kennedy surface stop.

I strongly support Oakwood, though I imagine that the 63 Ossington will still have to loop at Eglinton West unless it is through-routed with the 109 Ranee.

Last edited:
No bus to Square One?
No bus to YYZ (an outrageously expensive train does not count)

These are absolutely essential parts of the network, and not having one or more Mississauga Transit buses go to this station would be a huge mistake.

There will be lots of room for Mississauga Transit to operate there with 15 bus bays. I could even see some of the Barrie corridor Train-Buses stopping here, as they pass by on Black Creek Drive.

But watch, Brampton Zum will get there before MiWay does (half kidding).

As for the 89 running only south of Mount Dennis and the 165 being re-routed down Weston Road to the new station here, it's a reasonable idea. The demand on the 96 Wilson can easily be met with some creativity. Maybe add a new 96 branch between York Mills and Weston/Finch to compliment the 165 and preserve (or improve) service on Wilson itself, and address the concern about passengers wanting to head straight for the YUS subway. And maybe resurrect the scheduled 96F Jane-York Mills short turn service to fill the gaps in.

It is probably best to leave things as they are, but it is a worthwhile idea.

The stops that make little sense is Ionview, which is one block from Kennedy, and Lebovic. I guess Ionview is useful if the LRT then makes the last stop at Kennedy Station, but not if there is also a Kennedy surface stop.

There is no Kennedy surface stop. Ionview is 600-700m from the underground platform at Kennedy station (Bloor Danforth stop spacing in other words). The intersection has significant density, commercial presence, and a library branch. If you took Ionview out it would be a 10 minute pedestrian unfriendly walk to get there. 15 if you include the time it takes to get to the surface. Birchmount is a bit closer but there's still a fairly large dip in between the two that would make the journey on foot inconvenient.

Lebovic is another stop that makes more sense in context. A lot of the destinations in this area aren't on Eglinton but deep in from Eglinton. If you're going to the Cineplex for example you have to walk 500m south through big box country. Take away the Lebovic stop and that walk gets a lot longer and more unpalatable.

People on this board put a lot of focus on the minor speed gains you'd get from dumping a few surface stops, but speed doesn't matter to transit riders as much frequency and reliability. If this thing runs every 5 minutes like the subway, people won't care that the trains occasionally stop between major streets.

There is no Kennedy surface stop. Ionview is 600-700m from the underground platform at Kennedy station (Bloor Danforth stop spacing in other words). The intersection has significant density, commercial presence, and a library branch. If you took Ionview out it would be a 10 minute pedestrian unfriendly walk to get there. 15 if you include the time it takes to get to the surface. Birchmount is a bit closer but there's still a fairly large dip in between the two that would make the journey on foot inconvenient.

In that case, Ionview makes a lot of sense (which I qualified my statement with).

Lebovic is another stop that makes more sense in context. A lot of the destinations in this area aren't on Eglinton but deep in from Eglinton. If you're going to the Cineplex for example you have to walk 500m south through big box country. Take away the Lebovic stop and that walk gets a lot longer and more unpalatable.

People on this board put a lot of focus on the minor speed gains you'd get from dumping a few surface stops, but speed doesn't matter to transit riders as much frequency and reliability. If this thing runs every 5 minutes like the subway, people won't care that the trains occasionally stop between major streets.

i dont think we should keep stops because of temporary destinations such as the movie theatre. we need to build based on future not on current demands... especially since places like the theatre is off the main stretch. in the future it might face right onto eglinton with parking or condos behind..

Back