News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Is this just a generic Bombardier model that is taken to various cities for demonstration purposes? The Transit City light rail vehicles would look very different from this (if and when the lines are actually built).
This is (a mockup of) the vehicle that will run on Transit City lines. There will likely be some minor interior changes after they recieve some feedback, and the paint job is also likely to change.

The "Crosstown" logo looks like a sticker to me. Notice that there are obvious "Flexity Freedom" and "Bombardier" logos on this unit. I am pretty sure this is a generic model of a Flexity Freedom LRV which the Transit City vehicles will be based on.

Also notice that it is obviously on a raised platform, hence the need for steps (this will not be true for the final product).

The "Crosstown" logo looks like a sticker to me. Notice that there are obvious "Flexity Freedom" and "Bombardier" logos on this unit. I am pretty sure this is a generic model of a Flexity Freedom LRV which the Transit City vehicles will be based on.

Also notice that it is obviously on a raised platform, hence the need for steps (this will not be true for the final product).

I think the mockup is close to what we'll see, it almost looks identical to what's in Metrolinx's promo videos.

The raised platform must just be a truckbed the vehicle is on for easy transport.

The aisles are really narrow though. (Considering that the LRT tunnel will be wider than subway tunnels). Wonder what the difference is from a full subway car.

I think the mockup is close to what we'll see, it almost looks identical to what's in Metrolinx's promo videos.

The raised platform must just be a truckbed the vehicle is on for easy transport.

The aisles are really narrow though. (Considering that the LRT tunnel will be wider than subway tunnels). Wonder what the difference is from a full subway car.

Remember, it is a mock-up.

Here's a mock-up of the first heavy rail Subway car for the Yonge Subway.
s0381_fl0024_id6415-2.jpg

s0381_fl0024_id6415-3.jpg

s0381_fl0024_id6415-6.jpg

Here's one of the real first Glousecter Subway cars.
subway-5701-11.jpg

9563-1.jpg

There were changes made between the mock-up and the real cars. So it will happen between the light rail mock-up and the real one.

Remember, it is a mock-up.

Here's a mock-up of the first heavy rail Subway car for the Yonge Subway.
s0381_fl0024_id6415-2.jpg

At least in this old mock-up they simulated the platform. I am sure that many people are confused when they see this. Either they will think it is all underground and that is the platform height, or that it is in the median and there are somehow stairs or long ramps to get up to platform level. I do not think the display is the bedt way to show Toronto how the new low floor LRT will look.

Hopefully one of those changes is the width of the isle between the double-seats.

for that to happen wouldn't, either, there have to be less seats or narrower seats?

Well, that is kinda hard, since under at least some of the seats are the wheels, motors and bogies. Can't just wish them away. One of the sacrifices of going low floor.

for that to happen wouldn't, either, there have to be less seats or narrower seats?

The suburban LRV will be wider than the downtown streetcars, allowing for more seats. Also why the suburban LRV will not be able to be used downtown, they will be too wide.

See this link for more information on the Freedom LRV.

Designed for passenger-friendly service

• 100% low-floor, entirely step-free interior
  • Extra-wide 2.65m (8’ 8½â€) carbody
  • Two-by-two seating and maximized aisle width
  • Easy to configure interior layout

when in the example car today. there were 2 people in there pestering me to get my picture taken in the drivers seat. I just want to look at the damn train ok! it is such a small mockup it's difficult to get an idea of what the final train will look like anyways.

Last edited:
why not a wider car? Those older pics of the streetcars look like they are wider than the new cars for the Crosstown

When the Peter Witts arrived in Toronto for the Toronto Transportation Commission in the 1920's, they had to widen the narrow devil strip (the space between two sets of tracks) tracks to provide proper clearance, because they were wider than the old Toronto Street Railway streetcars.

Toronto Street Railway streetcar:
1305158511289_ORIGINAL.jpg

Toronto Transportation Commission's Peter Witt streetcar:
4142249771_01850d0255.jpg

The PCC's, CLRV's, ALRV's, and the coming legacy low-floor LRVs are all the same width. The Bombardier Flexity Freedoms are even wider.

Bombardier Flexity Freedom:
BT-4889-FLEXITY_Freedom.jpg

From Toronto Star reporter Teresa Walinoski, who's tweeting the Metrolinx Board meeting for September:
"Metrolinx announces the Crosstown Transit Constructors consortium has won the first of 2 tunnelling contract on Eg. Value $320 Million."

"Tunneling expected to begin mid Feb."

From Toronto Star reporter Teresa Walinoski, who's tweeting the Metrolinx Board meeting for September:
"Metrolinx announces the Crosstown Transit Constructors consortium has won the first of 2 tunnelling contract on Eg. Value $320 Million."

"Tunneling expected to begin mid Feb."

The estimate start date was to have been November of this year for the tunnelling to start. Must have been the water table at the Black Creek portal they are having to contend with.

The estimate start date was to have been November of this year for the tunnelling to start. Must have been the water table at the Black Creek portal they are having to contend with.
I'm not sure the "start of tunnelling" has been consistently defined. Is it when the tunnelling contractor mobes, or when they launch the TBM?

Back