News   Jun 27, 2024
 375     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 680     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 437     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I'm not sure the "start of tunnelling" has been consistently defined. Is it when the tunnelling contractor mobes, or when they launch the TBM?
How true. I remember the date being given as Summer earlier in the year.

February 17, 2012

Work continues at the West Launch Site. Pilings rigs are building concrete support walls for the tunnel launch shaft. When complete, crews will lower the tunnel boring machines into the ground to begin tunnelling eastward. This is expected to begin in late summer 2012.

Last edited:
That happens regardless of whether the provider is public or private. Just because it will be contracted out doesn't mean there won't be strikes, etc - case in point, YRT.

Relatively agnostic about the decision, it raises bigger questions - i.e. just what is the role of Metrolinx vis-a-vis "local" transit delivery, and the spectre of imbalance between transit revenues/expenditures and mode.

AoD

Last edited:
Personally, I like this move. What I would like to eventually see is all rapid transit in the GTHA under the control of Metrolinx, with only the local surface routes being run by the local transit agencies.

Rapid transit routes are going to cross municipal boundaries more and more, so having a single agency in charge of the routes using a standardized zone fare system will make it simpler for everybody. If we continue the way we're going now, we're going to see more and more of the complex deals like what was negotiated between Toronto and Vaughan/YR for the TYSSE. If that was run by and paid for by Metrolinx, that border wouldn't really be an issue.

I am a bit confused about this. The article seems to talk about Operate and Maintain - no mention of Build. However, many of the statements in the article seem to suggest that it includes construction. (i.e. "Stintz says the TTC’s input will now largely be restricted to the design of the interchange stations", "Under the AFP model, we protect taxpayers by building in strict penalties for any cost and schedule overruns"). There is also comparison to the Canada Line, but I believe that also included all construction.

So how is this being built? Metrolinx recently announce the award of the tunnel construction (http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-med...ss-on-delivering-transit-solutions-in-toronto). Will the station construction, tracks, electrical, etc. be part of the P3 (AFP) and all tunnelling, including the East portion, be Design-Bid-Build?

Finally, how can they announce the award of the tunnelling when they haven't announced what will be done with the dirt and whether the Allen will be shut down during construction. Surely these will have a large impact on price. Is the dirt being used to fill in the Allen or is it being dumped elsewhere? If there are any plans to close Allen Expressway (Road) then the plan on the future of the Allen should be co-ordinated with this work.

What happens when there is an "incident" on any of the lines? Will the non-TTC operator have their own fleet of buses on stand-by, or will the TTC send in their own buses to help with the "incident"? And what about overnight? Will it be running 24 hours a day? Or will the TTC run whenever the LRT is down for the night?

The TTC is one of the least subsidized public transit agencies in North America. It makes sense that the TTC should operate the LRT lines, since they already operate under a shortage of revenue from the province and federal governments.

What happens when there is an "incident" on any of the lines? Will the non-TTC operator have their own fleet of buses on stand-by, or will the TTC send in their own buses to help with the "incident"? And what about overnight? Will it be running 24 hours a day? Or will the TTC run whenever the LRT is down for the night?

The TTC is one of the least subsidized public transit agencies in North America. It makes sense that the TTC should operate the LRT lines, since they already operate under a shortage of revenue from the province and federal governments.

I have a feeling it will operate privately, but in the cases like that, the private company would "contract out" the temporary buses from the TTC for the day. (i.e. pay the TTC to operate buses on the route for the downtime)

Hopefully the line stays labelled as the TTC, but the only difference being the fact of who runs it. (same label for customer convience, but different companies) all the company running the lines would have to do would to record how many riders there were for the year, and then go pick up the said funds from the TTC fare box. (hopefully) this would allow for a such a seamless experience that a typical user would have no idea that it was being run by a different company than the TTC.

Easy - the private operator has an agreement with TTC that would apply in emergencies and the private operator pays TTC for the service (i.e. at a premium) (as well has having to pay Metrolinx a penalty under the Concession Agreement for delayed service).
Compare those disincentives to those that TTC would face in similar circumstances.

As for night service, that would probably remain TTC as it is outside the scope of the regular hours of the LRT service.

What'll be interesting is if the decide to optimize the use of technology and grade separate the line so it can be automated.

Last edited:
I wonder if Metrolinx is just going to extend the same type of contract they have with Bombardier for GO to the Crosstown, and other LRTs. It'll be interesting to see the details when they come out, that's for sure.

This decision makes sense for the grade-separated Eglinton and Scarborough rapid transit lines. They should have left the on-street LRTs (local transit) to the TTC though.

Should also be interesting to see if the private sector pushes for Eglinton East to be grade-separated (elevated or side of road) as ridership was projected to double if the line was completely separated.

Last edited:
This decision makes sense for the grade-separated Eglinton and Scarborough rapid transit lines. They should have left the on-street LRTs (local transit) to the TTC though.
If a private company is going to operate the transit on a city street, presumably the city will have to lease the part of the street to the province or something.

This is all about ownership. The province wants to own the line, because of accounting rules. The city could make a lot of $ here. :)

Back