1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 957     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Eglinton East of DVP yesterday.
IMG_2047.jpeg

“The VTM-compact milling machine corrects severe defects in rails and switches at hot-spots on light-rail and standard gauge tracks and in tunnels, removing up to 2 mm of metal per pass.”

View attachment 567802
“The VTM-compact milling machine corrects severe defects in rails and switches at hot-spots on light-rail and standard gauge tracks and in tunnels, removing up to 2 mm of metal per pass.”

Maybe they should use this on management.

I'll see my way out...

Isn't this equipment generally used as part of the maintenance regime of operational track, rather than remedying defects in yet to open systems? It feels like having to take my car into the mechanic for a major repair before I've even taken possession.

Isn't this equipment generally used as part of the maintenance regime of operational track, rather than remedying defects in yet to open systems? It feels like having to take my car into the mechanic for a major repair before I've even taken possession.

It's extremely frustrating. Tho I'm seeing this as more like Toyota doing their final inspection prior to delivering my new car to me and making corrections on issues they find. This is a better situation than Ottawa, though not by much when they've delayed delivery by over 4 years!

I still can't fathom how we still don't have an opening date! Metrolinx needs to be revamped like no tomorrow! How badly can an organization bungle up a project!! And it's not like they're getting everything ready and going to have a quick opening. The LRVs aren't even running at full speed yet meaning there are issues that limit the full speed testing. How can a multi-billion dollar project be given to such a terribly managed organization! And we keep giving new projects to them to handle!!

Arghhh! Rant over! Sorry for the wall of text!

This is the equivalent of a 2- or 4-stone rail grinder. It *CAN* be used for remedying defects, but is generally used more for general purpose light duty use. For severe cases it would have to make several passes of the target area, whereas the larger machines - like the one used in the subway system - which can do it in one pass, and at a higher travelling speed, too.

As always, be careful with marketing wank.

Dan

I'm excited to see this development, but why is the southside of Eglinton not being cleared and developed? There's a lot of parking lots and underutilized strip mall layout here.

View attachment 567980
Give it time as thing don't happen at once as well some of the developers need to do one side first before the other side if they own the land.

It takes money to make money as well covering the timeframe cost from clearing the land to building X when the pockets are not deep with cash in the first place.

A request filed by Global News for a list of ongoing problems, along with an attempt to view monthly construction progress reports by the contractor building the route, was denied.

Privacy officials with Metrolinx knocked two separate freedom of information requests about the line and claimed releasing the information could cause economic damage to the provincial government and even harm the future safety of the line.

The Metrolinx CEO also promised updates on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT every two months but has held just two briefings between September 2023 and May 2024.

I have a bet at the office for $50 that it will open before 2025. I made that bet in the winter of 2023. I hope I'm not about to lose $50!
I'm sticking to my 2023 prediction below. Crosstown achieves fully operational service in Apr-May 2025.

I'm excited to see this development, but why is the southside of Eglinton not being cleared and developed? There's a lot of parking lots and underutilized strip mall layout here.

View attachment 567980

A lot of those lands are industrial employment lands. Some of them could be better used by industrial / commercial operations with better paying jobs for sure, but this is a broad employment zone that should be protected.

I do see the merits of reclaiming some of the commercial plaza parking lots for residential though. SmartCentres is a major player that could do this at large scale, but I don't see them moving fast.

That sounds like a candidate for appeal to the Info and Privacy Commissioner.

From the Toronto thread, someone who claims to have a source identifies a number of current issues:

Rails are undersized as a result trains are prone to derailment

Automated system for the trains communicating with the system doesn't work underground

Many stations deleted waterproofing and used xypex concrete additive in areas with a fair amount of ground water. A couple if stations are constantly wet and rusting away

They are not sure how to fix any of these short of massive rework.

Back