News   Jul 12, 2024
 133     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 855     5 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Yet it's Dundas subway station, not Eaton centre station.
Maybe some money might be involved, but not regularly paid to the TTC.
Dundas station renaming has been considered, but not "Eaton Centre station" Instead: (from 2011) https://www.cp24.com/dundas-station-may-get-new-name-1.666478

I believe Yorkdale mall does not currently pay anything into TTC's Yorkdale station, but I could be wrong. If they do, then maybe they pay Go transit also??

Dundas Station was opened 23 years before the Eaton Centre, and there are much more destinations downtown than just the Eaton Centre, it does not shadow over everything else in the way the suburban malls do. As well, naming the station for the cross street is a valid and informative naming convention - naming it for the nearby neighbourhood, on the other hand, does not actually tell you where, particularly, you're going to end up, particularly if the neighbourhood is on the larger side, as Don Valley Village is (2 km x 2 km).

Not sure on the history of it, but Yorkdale station was built basically to serve the mall. Station likely would not be built there if it wasn't for the mall's presence.
Scarborough Centre station was for the SCC area - akin to North York Centre. Their municipal building is right across from the station.

North York Centre we know is named after the former city's centre, and not the office tower named North York City Centre.

Yorkdale is an area in which Yorkdale Shopping Centre is located. So the station is called Yorkdale and not Yorkdale Shopping Centre.
Scarborough Centre is the area in which Scarborough Shopping Centre is located. So the station is called Scarborough Centre and not Scarborough Shopping Centre.

Conclusion: neither of these stations are named after the nearby private businesses.

If we want to suggest "Fairview" as the new name for Don Mills, I guess we can - but not "Fairview Mall."
But unlike the two examples you provided, there is no "Fairview" neighbourhood. No one calls it that, so you really are naming it after the mall rather than having a mall clever enough to incoporate the neighbourhood's name.
(Bayview Village would also be a prime example of a proper mall name that borrows the existing neighbourhood name. If the existing Bayview station was called Bayview Village, that would mostly make sense.
Shops at Don Mills mostly works too (but for the "shops").
But not Fairview Mall.)
This is well said.

Sorry, I don't buy into that for one second. Claiming that either of those stations are not named for the businesses they are situated right next to would be a little bit like running a rip off of Star Wars called Star War, and arguing the name is different so therefore you are not in violation of copyright law.

Copyright law doesn't enter into it but you can believe what you want to believe.
Scarborough Town Centre is a mall. That's not what the station is called. Scarborough Centre is the name of the area in the City's Secondary Plan and in the Growth Plan; that is what the station is called. IT's not nitpicky. We're talking about names -what's the name??

The neighbourhood in which Yorkdale is situated is called Yorkdale-Glen Park. If they wanted to avoid leaning into the commercial name, they would've called it Glen Park. The name is very obviously a nod to the shopping mall nearby. It is Yorkdale's station, as shown on this vintage ad.

This is some weak sauce, with due respect. I mean, is Google Maps in on the scam?
1681930331245.png

Yes, they could have called it Lawrence Heights (I've never heard anyone use your hyphenate, but OK). Maybe they could have called it "Clanton Park" or even "Downsview," actually. They obviously called it Yorkdale in part because of the mall but it's not named after the mall. The fact that the ad claims otherwise is... not helping your case. If I produce an ad showing that the Blue Jays are "Canada's team" that does not prove they are a government agency and not actually owned by Rogers.

I'm not suggesting they were unaware the malls existed when they chose the names but they are not directly named after those operations equivalent to "Fairview Mall." (And the new Scarborough subway station isn't going to be where it is now. You think when they still call it "Scarborough Centre" it will still because of the increasingly distant mall with a somewhat similar name?)

Scarborough Centre was very likely chosen because it is shorter, and rolls off the tongue better than STC.

Now we're both reading minds and ignoring the multiple demonstrations that "Scarborough Centre" is a defined place. I don't get why you're reaching here.

If Fairview Mall wants to pay for naming rights, I'd let em have it. It's a logical name, after all. But I wouldn't name the station after their mall otherwise because, as demonstrated with Yorkdale Shopping Centre and Scarborough Town Centre, we don't do that (and splitting the difference by calling it 'Fairview" is kind of weird).

I think they should just leave the stations as is, so generations can explain to their children how their used to be a Science Centre there and that's actually why the LRT station and subway converge there.
"But why'd they move it then, papa?"
"Doug Ford, son. Doug Ford."

Copyright law doesn't enter into it but you can believe what you want to believe.
So if copyright isn't what concerns you, what exactly is the problem? I thought you were trying to insinuate that the TTC would have to pay the institutions in question money for using their name.

If that's not the concern, then what is it? This isn't a case of "Durham College Oshawa GO" (which would be acceptable if the college was right next to the station, as the name oh-so-misleadingly implies). There is a station right next to Yorkdale Mall that serves Yorkdale Mall, trying to pass it off as not being named after that mall is very much in the same vein as the Star War example I gave.

And since it's Metrolinx that's doing the planning, and not the TTC, how do you then account for, say, Square One Bus Terminal?

I mean, is Google Maps in on the scam?
Google Maps is wrong.

They obviously called it Yorkdale in part because of the mall but it's not named after the mall.
And your proof of this is where?

This sounds like a completely baseless conspiracy theory. "The station serving a major institution with a similar name as the institution is actually not named for the institution but a minor locale that no one but the residents living in the immediate vicinity of the station will know." How do you account for the buses that are marked as going to Sherway, not Sherway Gardens? There is no neighbourhood called Sherway to confuse it with. What about Seneca College? There is no such place; it is known legally as "Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology", alternatively "Seneca Polytechnic". Does that mean that when the bus tells me that the next stop is Seneca College, it is but a coincidence that the educational institution widely known by the same name will be there? Is the bus stop actually named for a long extinct settlement that sat on the grounds of Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology hitherto?

You think when they still call it "Scarborough Centre" it will still because of the increasingly distant mall with a somewhat similar name?)
Yes.

as demonstrated with Yorkdale Shopping Centre and Scarborough Town Centre, we don't do that (and splitting the difference by calling it 'Fairview" is kind of weird).
Except, we do. Even if we leave out the two examples you cherrypicked, how do you explain Pioneer Village, York University, Seneca, Pearson Airport, or the CNE? Or is this the part where I found that Pioneer Village's name making reference to the Black Creek Pioneer Village is but a freakish coincidence? That Exhibition Loop is actually not named for the CNE which sits right across the road?

If we want our transit system to offer accurate wayfinding information to customers, we will need to refer to commercial locations when there is no other suitable wayfinding information present. There are no two ways about this. Vague neighbourhood names are not going to cut it.

Last edited:
So if copyright isn't what concerns you, what exactly is the problem? I thought you were trying to insinuate that the TTC would have to pay the institutions in question money for using their name.
Why would copyright be a concern? The concern is that the TTC's naming policy precludes them from doing what you are suggesting. TTC wouldn't have to pay them! If anything, they should be paying TTC, is my point.

Google Maps is wrong.
Oh. Sigh.
And your proof of this is where?
Is the station called Yorkdale Shopping Centre? If not, why not?
Why isn't the Scarborough station called Scarborough Town Centre Station?
." Does this apply to the buses that are marked as going to Sherway and not Sherway Gardens? What about Seneca College? There is no such place; it is known legally as "Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology", alternatively "Seneca Polytechnic". Does that mean that when the bus tells me that the next stop is Seneca College, it is but a coincidence that the educational institution widely known by the same name will be there? Is the bus stop actually named for a long extinct settlement that sat on the grounds of Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology hitherto?
No it doesn't because uou're mixing and matching bus stops (which obviously stop everywhere) and subway stations (which are subject to naming policies) and then - this is super obvious,- you've shifted, for some reason, from privately owned commercial operations to public intitutions.
Pioneer Village? Not a mall.
Yorkdale Shopping Centre? Mall.
Seneca? Not a mall.
Fairview Mall? Mall.
CNE? Not a mall.
Scarborough Town Centre? Mall.
Science Centre? Not a mall.
York University? Not a mall.
Pearson Airport? Mall. No just kidding - NOT. A. MALL (though it does have food courts and duty free shops).
See the pattern? The ones with direct station names are all public institutions..

And, to make a long story short, TTC changed its naming policy to allow for Pioneer Village (and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre). It was quite a dumb thing, start to finish,and I'm sure you can find it soemwhere on the TYSSE thread.

Anyway, I don't care. The whole thing is silly and to circle back, IF they end up renaming "Science Centre" and IF they call it "Don Mills" for some reason and IF that necessitates changing the name of "Don Mills" then my humble opinion is that they shouldn't call it "Fairview Mall," because, as you've kind of shown, this is not something the current policy allows but IF they still want to do it, by all means they should do it and let Cadillac Fairview throw them some $ along the way and while they're at it, let other people pay for naming rights too and we can have "Oxford Scarborough Centre" and all sorts of other wonderful places that will put a teeny dent in the TTC's operating shortfall.

Is the station called Yorkdale Shopping Centre? If not, why not?
Why isn't the Scarborough station called Scarborough Town Centre Station?
For the same reason it's called Pioneer Village station and not Black Creek Pioneer Village station. It's quicker, and easier, to refer to something by a shorter name, but you still need a name that somewhat corresponds with the area you're going to.

Imagine a passenger asks a ticket agent how to get to Black Creek Pioneer Village. Having a shorter name like Pioneer Village helps convey that that is in fact where the passenger wants to go but it saves the ticket agent the bother of having to reiterate the full name of the institution the passenger wishes to travel to, because the passenger already knows where it is they are travelling to.

(which obviously stop everywhere) and subway stations (which are subject to naming policies)
For what reason exactly should bus stops not be subject to naming conventions if subway stations are? Have I missed something here? Do buses run in a different membrane than subways?

If it's beneficial for bus passengers to know that an institution is nearby, why wouldn't the same be true for subway passengers?

I can see by this thread why we pay consultants thousands to figure the names out...

Ok I'll check myself out... At Oshawa Durham College Station of Durham Region Via train Go station not even close to Durham college Station...

And your proof of this is where? This sounds like a completely baseless conspiracy theory. "
The answer is simple. What came first, Yorkdale mall or Yorkdale station? If the mall was there already, and the city then built a station into the mall itself, well then, that’s the obvious name for the station.

Last edited:

Back