News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.3K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 965     6 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

20111129yorkdale.jpg

A time when women all wore skirts, creepy men checked them out, and the advertising department saw nothing wrong.

For what reason exactly should bus stops not be subject to naming conventions if subway stations are? Have I missed something here? Do buses run in a different membrane than subways?

Yes, you've missed something. The transit agency has a written policy for subway station names. It doesn't for bus station names. So that's an important thing to know in this discussion. (Do 95% of bus stops even have any kind of "name"?)

Here is a screencap of a City staff report (Regarding the Vaughan subway extension) that gives you all the details, u p to and including the corporate policy number - for SUBWAY STATION NAMING.

1681952822775.png

My favourite part is that this clearly and heplfully spells that out none of the stations are named for a mall.
The four districts have to be Scarb Centre, NY Centre, Rosedale, Downsview and Yorkdale.
And the 6 landmarks would be Museum, Queen's Park, , High Park, Union Station, Osgoode and St. Andrew.
If either mall is one of the landmarks, then tell me which of those landmarks is actually a district.

Case closed?

I'm a nice guy, really, - but I do know what I'm talking about.

The answer is simple. What came first, Yorkdale mall or Yorkdale station? If the mall was there already, and the city then built a station into the mall itself, well then, that’s the obvious name for the station.

Without going to deep into how logical arguments work, it's not simple if the neighbourhood name came first, and then the mall and then the station; it just needs to be named after SOMETHING called Yorkdale, see? Rosedale station, for example, has its name even though there isn't a Rosedale Mall there. And if someone opens Rosedale Mall next month, it won't change what Rosedale Station is named after.

As you can see above, Yorkdale is named after the district.

That said, and back on topic, really, who cares?
It's dumb they're moving the Science Centre and, having watched the debates that went into naming both the Spadina Extension stations and the Crosstown stations, it will likely mean an excessive amount of unnecessary discussion.
Leave it as "Science Centre," call it "Don Mills" or "Don Mills Crossing" or whatever. And even though, as I've explained, it goes against their longstanding naming conventions, they can even rename Don Mills to Fairview Mall. Whatever. But they've never done it before.

Last edited:
Case closed?
Just because the TTC said it, doesn't make it so. All of the controversial stations in question were named long before the pencil pushers who run the TTC these days came to be in their employ; if one looks back at recent TTC history, they are not always in touch with reality. In 2021, when they were doing the 100 year anniversary PR campaign, there were a few errors. Just because someone claimed that all of those stations fell cleanly into those naming conventions, doesn't mean they actually knew the minds of those who selected the names. I would need to see reports from the era the stations were built in to be convinced.

It is not because I have a difficulty accepting facts. It is because I struggle greatly to believe that our public institutions believe us to be so gullible as to claim that the big honking subway station called Yorkdale, integrated with a mall called Yorkdale that opened almost 15 years prior, is somehow not named for the mall, but the neighbourhood nearby, but it somehow coincidentally happened to be the same name, is too astonishing to believe. That is some Orwellian level gaslighting. And even if they somehow intended it to be so, the fact that no one except for locals are even aware of the community being called Yorkdale means that they're doing unpaid advertising for Yorkdale Mall anyway. Ask any passenger on the next subway platform you step on where Yorkdale gets its name from; no one is going to mention the neighourhood. If they wanted to be so free of the bonds of corporate naming, they would've called it Ranee, Highway 401, or Glen Park.

Also, their figures are off. In whichever way one chooses to classify them, whether they be destination or districts, there are 11, possibly 12 stations that are named for these: North York Centre, Rosedale, Union, St. Andrew, Osgoode, St. Patrick, Queen's Park, Museum, Yorkdale, Downsview, High Park, and STC. If such a basic count is wrong, what else did the comrades get wrong?

St. Patrick is on the list as it is commonly accepted it was named for the Catholic Church on Dundas Street, which, while unhelpful, seems infinitely more likely than an irrelevant side street, while Queen's Park could be classified as either or, as University Avenue turns into Queen's Park at College, and the institution of Queen's Park is extremely irrelevant for the majority of people who use the station.

It doesn't for bus station names.
Well, I don't believe that. If there were no naming conventions for bus stops, then a stop could be called just about anything. There seems to be a clearly defined method for how the TTC names their bus stops.

Do 95% of bus stops even have any kind of "name"?)
If the bus announces the stop, it has a name.

I'm done with this debate. If you want to continue on presuming that these subway stations with the same names as the institutions located right next to them are not named for those institutions, there is nothing I can say to convince you.

Last edited:
Just because the TTC said it, doesn't make it so.

Just because the TTC naming policy says they don't name after malls and that, more specifically, neither of your two examples are named after what you say they are after doesn't make it so. Gotcha!

But if I ask rando people what THEY think it's named after, that's what it actually is Not what the TTC says.
I mean, I knew the area was called Yorkdale but if they don't know that and only know the mall name, that means they know more about why the station is named. I dunno what I was thinking, posting an official policy document when this is all so obvious and from someone who definitely does not have a problem accepting facts.

The same document explicitly says it is the rules for naming subway stations, not bus stops (which are always, literally where they are). Your response?
"Well, I don't believe that!"
Ok, then.

289238.jpg

I'm done with this debate.

I've got news for you. There never was a debate. But keep disputing the facts with the thin air, or - to use your own terminology - gaslighting yourself if you like. I tried.

Was is it not Shakespeare who said a rose by any other name smells as sweet? Sure - it was named after the mall. Run with that.
Also, Downsview Chrysler was named after the Downsview subway station. Why not, while we're at it?

What street was Union Station named after? ;)

Did you even read the TTC naming policy above?

Last edited:
I rarely come to this thread because, well, what's the point?
I'll check back in a year from now to see how construction is coming along.
It’s amazing that we first turned earth on this project more than a dozen years ago. By the time the Crosstown is fully in service from Mount Dennis to Kennedy it will be close to thirty years since this project was launched in 2007. And forget about seeing the extension to Renforth being fully in service this decade.

Did we save any time or money by making this a partially above ground and LRT system rather than a fully underground system operating Toronto Rocket rolling stock?

It’s amazing that we first turned earth on this project more than a dozen years ago. Did we save any time or money by making this a partially above ground and LRT system rather than a fully underground system operating Toronto Rocket rolling stock?
The construction was intentionally delayed, we would have had sections opening starting in 2015 in the original plans.

Prior to the recent moral panic over Dundas, I went thirty-five years thinking Dundas Ave. was so called because it ran vaguely in the direction of Dundas Ontario, you know, like Kingston Road in Scarborough or Richmond Road in Ottawa. It's a mystery why so many things were named for someone with nothing to do with Canada, really. We're possibly better off just selling the names to corporate sponsors if cancel culture has gone so far that even Ryerson and Macdonald are villains. How about Deco Labels Crossing?

Just passed by Yonge and Eglinton on the 56 bus. Seems like they still have a lot of work to do still just as a non-construction average member of the public perspective.

I should note on the way back it looked like they've added the concrete base for the westbound Eglinton Ave lanes west of Yonge St in preparation for the asphalt layer to be added. So I guess that is some progress. Definitely a lot of other sections appear to be still trenches/holes where works are happening to finalize to get everything back to street level. Not the most technical explanation but you get the drift. cc @crs1026 @smallspy @Northern Light

Back