Part 1 of 2 of Oakwood station on August 17, 2021

Main entrance:

IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG_1221.jpg
IMG_1222.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg
IMG_1224.jpg

With everything now accessible and will be forever by law, is it time to retire the blue light?
And replace it with what, orange lights that get mixed up with the destination signs? I dont see the point in removing it, it might as well stay in place as the new standard.

With everything now accessible and will be forever by law, is it time to retire the blue light?
At this point no since it doesn't really need to be. As well I think the majority if not all riders use them as an identification that a bus/streetcar is coming since you can see those blue lights quite a ways away. While they may have been there originally to denote a bus being accessible at first, for everyone else they were and still are just an easy identifier that there is a bus/streetcar on the way.

"Road milling" is slowly happening along Eglinton Avenue. "Road milling" is the process of removing at least part of the surface of a paved area. Milling removes anywhere from just enough thickness to level and smooth the surface to a full depth removal. Will be followed by paving. Ever so slowly, the road construction along Eglinton Avenue is being completed, to be followed by new digs because they discovered a problem that needs digging up the road again.

See link.

aug_20.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any real updates from Metrolinx on the new opening date for Crosstown? I keep hearing 2022 but by the looks of the underground construction especially around the transfer stations, I don't see this opening next year. There is at least a few years of heavy construction work remaining before they can test the whole line and commission it. Is late 2023 or early 2024 a more realistic timeline?

End of next year seems realistic to me. Recall that the Spadina Subway saw some of the stations (Finch West specifically) come together quite quickly once push came to shove. Spadina also opened with Finch West not being completely done yet..

Kennedy still appears to have ongoing work on the surface. Subterranean work is still a question mark.

Last weekend they were still doing concrete work in the former bus roadway adjacent to the RT tracks. I am not sure if that is related to the LRT but it seems to have stalled somewhat. With the absence of workers above ground I presume work is going full steam ahead underground (or at least I hope so).

With the state of Kennedy Station as it stands now I would not be surprised if it was delayed past 2022.

Kennedy still appears to have ongoing work on the surface. Subterranean work is still a question mark.

Last weekend they were still doing concrete work in the former bus roadway adjacent to the RT tracks. I am not sure if that is related to the LRT but it seems to have stalled somewhat. With the absence of workers above ground I presume work is going full steam ahead underground (or at least I hope so).

With the state of Kennedy Station as it stands now I would not be surprised if it was delayed past 2022.

The only underground structural work going on at Kennedy is the finishing underneath the GO tracks and platforms. Everything else in the station is basically on to the final steps such as flooring and surface finishes. In the grand scheme of things, Kennedy isn't that far away from being done.

The other underground stations closer to Yonge, however, are a different story. Because of how the stations are built - bottom up, and with identical equipment at each - it can be pretty easy to gauge how far individual stations are in the construction process once you realize what you are looking at.

For instance, my local station is Mount Pleasant - they have topped-out the secondary entrance, which is made of poured concrete and contains all of the ancillary equipment required for the station. But at the main entrance, they are still building the concrete structure underground and up to the surface. Thus, they're getting there but are still have quite a ways to go.

Compare this to Leaside Station, where they have not only finished the concrete monolith for the ancillaries (this time at the main entrance), but have also built all of the steelwork for both entrances. Thus, they are quite far along, and once the steel has been enclosed they can finish up electrical and surface finishes.

At Yonge, they are still building upwards, and don't have any of the structures above the surface level yet. There is a LOT of work to be done here still.

Dan

Yonge and Cedarvale are pretty clearly the "critical path" stations for opening. I think Cedarvale is a bit further ahead, but it will be interesting to see if they can get them done for opening.

Back