News   Oct 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Oct 25, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Oct 25, 2024
 635     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Work has started on the existing unpaid fare hallway at Kennedy station. I was at it this afternoon and it's been blocked off with signs saying that they are working on it for the crosstown line

54091595656_564c8714ba_w_d.jpg
54091843098_6914aeffb1_w_d.jpg

Last edited:
wait theyre only starting NOW?? like 4 months after they were supposed to open????!!!! :mad:
I'm not sure of the exact nature of this work but I'm assuming they're just reconfiguring the farepaid areas. That's something they have a lot of recent experience with from the gate changeover and they likely have a lot of confidence in knowing what challenges could arise and therefore don't think it should take long. Also, if the new configuration is harder to navigate for customers accessing line 2, it's better to have waited so they wouldn't be inconvenienced through more of the project.

The issue is the interrelationship between the TTC and Mosaic, once operations start (presumably in demo mode - aka test running).

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that (as with the case with Crosslinx) that Mosaic wasn't expecting to have to deal with TTC inspecting everything to their own standards. and applying their safety requirements.

I assume that Metrolinx's competency (or lack of it) in legal contracting will once again be their undoing with these cases.
My best guess as to what happened:

-Agreements were made in principle about construction between Crosslinx and ML, and ML and the TTC, and these agreements don't completely line up
-Over twenty years, scope, personnel and technology have changed, changing the actual requirements
-Mistakes, sloppy construction and manufacturing errors gradually accumulated, and there was no clear quality control process for all aspects of construction (TTC has different safety standards than ML and Crosslinx)
-Any changes require costs, and all three partners are trying to shove responsibility for changes onto the other two (hence all the lawsuits)
-Money for the project has largely run out, so everyone is focused on minimizing further expenses
-People are avoiding this project because involvement taints you with the stink of failure
-Dougie wants the opening of the line to happen close to an election call, and he's aiming for a spring 2025 election, so it'll open then.

Last edited:
Word on the street is that the foundation slab under the Yonge/Eglinton Station Box is cracked and can't be fixed without ripping everything out and starting over.

;)
Unless you have concrete evidence to provide, all you're doing is fuelling an unfounded rumour. Obviously Metrolinx is making the situation worse by not clarifying anything - so it leads to people speculating and rumours spreading... but honestly, this is not helpful in this forum at all.

-Dougie wants the opening of the line to happen close to an election call, and he's aiming for a spring 2025 election, so it'll open then.
I agree with you entirely, except the last point. I don't think election call has much play on things. Though if I was in charge, if the opening was going to happen just before, or during, the election; I'd delay the opening. Because you don't want some kind of large-scale failure and closure after TTC buses have been rescheduled to happen during, or just before, the election.

I don't think much of the province really cares about if it hasn't opened on time.

I don't think much of the province really cares about if it hasn't opened on time.
Probably true... But the "Mayor of Toronto" – Doug Ford – seems to care, and it wouldn't surprise me if he can massage the opening for good news if/when he springs an absolutely unnecessary, early election

At the very least there should be concrete barriers on the opposite side of the sidewalk. The small curb and single thin post do no provide enough protection.
View attachment 604090

There should be knee or chest high barriers like on YRT.
View attachment 604091
I think these stations also provide more overhead protection from the elements as well. Not sure why the Crosstown/Finch/Hurontario are going with such small overhead protectors.

Last edited:
I think these stations also provide more overheard protection fro the elements as well. Not sure why the Crosstown/Finch/Hurontario are going with such small overheard protectors.
Not sure if this qualifies as The Cheapening, but it’s definitely being cheap.

Back