News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.7K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Council Races - 2010

Take Vancouver, for example. They have 10 city councillors, who are elected at large

The problem with this is that the ballot will become unusually large, meaning that citizens will become confused, our current ward system is superior since you have a defined slate of candidates in your area, thus you can hold them to account. Don't blame the system for the fact turnout is low, its the lack of exciting candidates.

I wonder what Mike Layton's policy would be towards the entertainment district. Continue on Adam Vaughan's path of destruction or revert to a business friendly policy that Olivia Chow and those before her followed?

Since he'll most certainly be running in Pantalone's ward, I think the more important question will be his policies toward the growth of Ossington and the future of Little Italy.

There is also a progressive Chinese Canadian woman and environmental activist, Karen Sun, running in Ward 19, who sounds like a good candidate.

If Vaughan gets a serious challenger it won't come from an NDPer but probably someone who opposes homeless shelters backed by the club owners. Vaughan should easily prevail.

It's a wide open field.

Chan will have the advantage of Smitherman's machine and can probably appeal both north and south of Bloor - but on the other hand, a lot of aides and constituency assistants turn out to be grade-Z candidates (like Helen Kennedy).

If Vaughan gets a serious challenger it won't come from an NDPer but probably someone who opposes homeless shelters backed by the club owners. Vaughan should easily prevail.

I've never understood Vaughan's war on the clubs, I don't go there much anymore, but why not let young people have their fun? Too many condos will suck the life out of the urban core, there needs to be a proper balance.

His basic arguments are there are far too many clubs within such a small space and the area needs to have a healthy mixture of clubs, businesses, and homes. During his election campaign in 2006, he mentioned how Richmond and Adelaide Streets need life not only during the night but also during the day

Last edited:
Four men of East Indian or Sri Lankan background are running against Councillor Cho in Ward #42. I have a good feeling they will all say the same thing, divide the votes 4 ways, and give Councillor Cho an easy victory

I've never understood Vaughan's war on the clubs, I don't go there much anymore, but why not let young people have their fun? Too many condos will suck the life out of the urban core, there needs to be a proper balance.

It is the club owners and some condo dwellers that have been railing about a homeless shelter under the pathetic excuse that "you can't have homeless people near nightclubs." It certainly wasn't politically expedient for Vaughan to take this stance.

It is the club owners and some condo dwellers that have been railing about a homeless shelter under the pathetic excuse that "you can't have homeless people near nightclubs." It certainly wasn't politically expedient for Vaughan to take this stance.

Hardly. The neighbourhood groups all supported the homeless shelter as a way to keep out a new club. That's exactly how Vaughan sold it to the neighbourhood. I personally think it's a pretty ridiculous waste of scarce funding for homelessness to buy an expensive property at a major intersection requiring renovation when a much bigger shelter could have been built with the same money on a different site in the same neighbourhood.

You're just repeating back the same patronizing nonsense about how "I'm not anti-homeless I'm just opposed to them being near nightclubs. It's been two years or more since this has gone down so there isn't much to be found, but Liz Sauter head of the King-Spadina residents association was opposed to the shelter last time I checked:

Liz Sauter, a director for the King-Spadina Residents Association opposes the centre. She said she is not against homeless people but rather concerned for them.

“I am concerned for the homeless people who are already vulnerable,” Sauter said. “Why subject them to an area that already has problems of drugs, drinking and crime.”

http://te-in.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2883020643&topic=2870

and

But nightclub owners and area residents are surprised by the idea.

Liz Sauter of the King Spadina Residents Association wonders why the city would choose to offer shelter for homeless people, some battling addictions, in the centre of the city's nightclub district, known for its drinking and access to drugs.

Sauter says she will take Brown on a tour of the area.

"I want to show him what takes place between 12 and 4 in the morning," Sauter told the Star.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20070324/homeless_shelter_070324?hub=TorontoHome

I have no interest in defending Vaughan's use of the word "hooligans" (nor is it a vote-determining issue for me) but to say that the residents association wanted the homeless shelter there is just nonsense.

So if I register as a candidate in Ward 20 and canvass like crazy south of Queen St. and nowhere else, on a platform of building more homeless shelters to stop the nightclubs, do you think I'd sweep the polls down there?

Back