Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Behnisch Architekten has come calling 'round these here parts: they were a key part of the team that created CCBR at UofT. So yeah, we do lack some flare, agreed, totally, but we're not off the map completely. Don't forget about the good things we've got!

Here's a building with flare, just like the best in 70s trouser fashion
152456657_cb61366fb3.jpg

Behnisch Architekten has come calling 'round these here parts: they were a key part of the team that created CCBR at UofT. So yeah, we do lack some flare, agreed, totally, but we're not off the map completely. Don't forget about the good things we've got!

I was aware of Behnisch's contributions to our lovely CCBR (one of the best buildings in Toronto), but to me, the Landesbank is much more compelling since it can be read from so many angles, appearing as a different building each time. Not that the CCBR can't be read from more than one location, but in Hannover, the bank's stacked, off-kilter boxes and intersecting planes make for a much more interesting structure.

Here's a building with flare, just like the best in 70s trouser fashion
152456657_cb61366fb3.jpg

The Grace and Solow (9 West 57th) Buildings are some of SOM's (Bunshaft) greatest mid-career high-rises. I'm not sure how I am supposed to interpret that comment adma.?

I think adma was commenting that "flare" does not equal "flair"....in his own inimitable way........;)

It wasn't an anti-Grace comment per se, so much as a yok on it being a bell-bottomed building from the age of the bell-bottom.

That said, Grace *was* one of the more notoriously loathed 70s SOM buildings, if only because of the arbitrary streetline violation alongside Bryant Park, i.e. one of those "towers as narcissistic objects" which sparked the Postmodern counterrevolution...

The roof of the atrium is now almost fully glazed - and they're glazing the office windows that face onto it. There's also a tubular metal wormy walkway thing in place, crossing its upper level.

Don't know if this has been brought up in the thread, but there will be both a cafe and a restaurant in this building. One will be on the south side of the building, and the other on the north side. I have heard that in the process of selecting these 2 tenants, the people responsible for the decision are looking for non-chain businesses.

Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Park will be completed around the same time as the Corus building, but the boardwalk that runs in front of Corus will not. Whoever ends up at the south end will be looking onto construction until the boardwalk is built.

It wasn't an anti-Grace comment per se, so much as a yok on it being a bell-bottomed building from the age of the bell-bottom.

That said, Grace *was* one of the more notoriously loathed 70s SOM buildings, if only because of the arbitrary streetline violation alongside Bryant Park, i.e. one of those "towers as narcissistic objects" which sparked the Postmodern counterrevolution...

An interesting interpretation indeed. Architecture mirroring fashion mirroring architecture; the chicken or the egg?

I didn't realize the top floors were going to be on an angle like that but I like it. Anything that deviates from a box, is a good thing.

9aCORUS-MAY14-09007.jpg

8CORUS-MAY14-09033.jpg

6CORUS-MAY14-09009.jpg

4CORUS-MAY14-09068.jpg

2CORUS-MAY14-09061.jpg

12CORUS-MAY14-09042.jpg

10CORUS-MAY14-09003.jpg

See more pics I took of this on SSC.

Last edited:
that is quite a cantilever!
more angles on the bottom glazing too.
a bit of contrast to the box.

Yes, nice little angular tweaks here and there - a bit like the subtly angled balconies Clewes did for Spire ... and the east side of KPMB's Maple Leaf Square's north tower which angles outwards and suggests it's a lozenge-shaped building, when seen from the south east.

Back