Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

^^Sorry about the Miller comments being made in this thread, but I think every topic strays a little- no harm in that-!! (like now) :)

p5

I like your bridge idea too Metroman, and another opportunity for a cool landmark...how about Calatrava?

Believe it or not, there's something already Calatrava-esque on the Island--the steel bowstring pedestrian bridge at RCYC. And believe it or not, it dates from the late 1950s (Lawrence Cazaly, I believe, was the engineer on that one).

It might be the most underrated architectural/engineering landmark *of all* in Toronto; not least in how it looks decades newer (and more avant-garde) than it is...

We'd have to have a draw bridge though since sail boats navigate in and out of the harbor.

I think all this can wait a decade or so until the Waterfront has really found its identity and the centre island airport is on it's last wings... (no pun intended tee hee...).

Here, here! for an Island Bridge.
I can't tell you how many times I've daydreamed about riding across a bridge when I pass Bathurst on my bike near the lake. Instead I have to pay and wait for a ferry (that is also eating up public funds) instead of enjoying myself in a park? This takes me another couple hours which means working class chumps like me often don't often have the time or energy to enjoy the island. Not to mention the soul sucking ferry port on the mainland with all the screaming children. And if people really want a boat ride I'm sure they could still take one. A bridge won't stop that.
If it just wasn't for that damn airport. I think we need another regional airport to starve that one off the island. (oh ya, and Diamond sucks! (just to keep this relevant to the thread)).

As far as ProjSymph-zone landmarks go, this is of note: I noticed today that the infamous Tate & Lyle sign is gone from the side of Redpath.

Hmmm, what's happening there...

Then, why not cut the cost somehow? The TTC ran it until 1961; imagine using a Metropass to go to Wards or Hanlans...

Absolutely! Accepting TTC fares, including transfers and Metropasses, seems to be the perfect compromise. It sucks for people who walk there like me, but whatever. I was just on the island yesterday, and I was thinking that if New York can do it to Staten Island, why can't we?

If the TTC raises fares by more than the typical 10 cents due to this damned budget 'crisis' than there should be two or three carrots to soften the blow. To me, these would include:

- Finally implementing the timed transfer
- Allowing TTC fares to the island ferries
- Having an official "affinity plan" like the unofficial one Joe was trying to set up for pass holders - even special coupons with MDP mailings - like CNE passes, half-price ROM or AGO admission, little things like that.

Anyway, this is really going off topic.

The point to a 10 - 25 cent fare increase would be to cover the costs that the TTC needs to save. Your suggestions would cost the TTC. I woud rather see a 10 cent increase with no carrots than a 25 cent increase with a few carrots.

Isn't there a Transit thread already???

Anyway, back to topic...

Anyone have any idea when new renderings are coming for this project? :)

I wonder if there is still time to CANCEL this project and save taxpayers and Toronto City Hall over $100 million to help with the this huge budget crises we are having.

Think about it. We can save the Sheppard Subway instead and those valuable suburban bus routes, and a fare hike. I just got a press release today that the city of London, UK is actually CUTTING TRANSIT FARES by 10%! Imagine, cutting fares in Toronto!

The Waterfront Corporation can save $8 million its HAS TO GIVE to the project and the money can instead be used to begin work on the Queen's Quay project.

I still find it fascinating that this project got City Council approval, dispute the fact we are apparently in a budget crises!

How do we get this item back on the Council Agenda for reconsideration?

Louroz

Not for or against the project but keep in mind that in spite of a lower return than most private projects, it is still profitable.

AoD

Back